Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative to Eircom Netopia Modem Needed

• 10-08-2005 5:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭

My Eircom Netopia Broadband modem (the first one they released, not the wireless version) is emitting an odd "burning" odour, and being a sensible chap I decided to unplug it immediately. I dont know if anyone else has had the same problem, if you have let me know.

Anyway, I need to replace this piece of junk as soon as possible to stop eircom from realising their dream: getting 40 euro a month for absolutely nothing!

Theres 2 laptops in the house now, so i need to find a modem that can be hooked up to my pc and also be able to support the other 2 devices wirelessly.

Anyone know of such a miracle device? (without me having to buy another eircom netopia modem) Can i use this Lynksys router on Komplett?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

youll need to get an adsl modem with that,
    or get an all in one job like this
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=311824&cks=PRL

not recommending it as ive never used one but the linkysy on its its own isnt enough

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I bought the new wireless netopia one off a lad here on boards, works perfectly. Connected once pc through rj45, and several more wirelessly at same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Moving back on topic, I dont like 'em, plain and simple.

Telling a guy who doesnt like sprouts that you like sprouts and eat them every other night isnt goin to change his mind....crap analogy, but you get the idea. Im just looking for alternatives that work with eircom BB in the manner i have described, not a debate about whether or not they are good...to avoid confusion ill change the title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

Look at the Netgear dg834g

I have the non wireless version and its brilliant. I'm sure others here will say the same.

Sorry, didn't see that bit about not wanting to use eircom netopia ones. Don't get me started on sprouts. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭skearon

DirkVoodoo wrote:
    My Eircom Netopia Broadband modem (the first one they released, not the wireless version) is emitting an odd "burning" odour, and being a sensible chap I decided to unplug it immediately. I dont know if anyone else has had the same problem, if you have let me know.

Anyway, I need to replace this piece of junk as soon as possible to stop eircom from realising their dream: getting 40 euro a month for absolutely nothing!

Theres 2 laptops in the house now, so i need to find a modem that can be hooked up to my pc and also be able to support the other 2 devices wirelessly.

Anyone know of such a miracle device? (without me having to buy another eircom netopia modem) Can i use this Lynksys router on Komplett?

Before you go spending money how long have you had the Netopia? Perhaps it is under warranty from Eircom?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭seanogal

I also had a problem with the netopia modem.It was a different problem but it didn't work.I bought a wireless g adsl gateway in PC World.140euro.This combines modem and router.It is easy to set up as you can connect to Linksys and it sets up automatically.I have a desktop and two laptops connected wirelessly to it.Model number,:WAG54G

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

DirkVoodoo wrote:

You can get
    this in Argos for around 100 euros while the wag54g which seems to be virtually the same model but in a less glitzy case is around town for a similar price. Excellent value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

skearon wrote:
    Before you go spending money how long have you had the Netopia? Perhaps it is under warranty from Eircom?

Oooh, didnt think bout that one. I got it last summer, i fink, as part of that deal they had going with the 3 months free surfing.

MarkR, no worries mate! It was a misleading title on the post to begin with

Smart arse. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement