Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Broadband and Eircom email address

• 10-08-2005 7:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

Hey Guys,

I got NTL Broadband set up on my Folks PC.
    My Folks used to have Eircom dialup with an eircom email address. But for some reason, they are having probs using their email with NTL Broadband.

Some emails will send, but some will not. They keep getting an error message.

Does NTL not work with an Eircom email address??

By the way they are using Outlook Express for their emails.

Any help guys?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Hey Guys,

I got NTL Broadband set up on my Folks PC.
    My Folks used to have Eircom dialup with an eircom email address. But for some reason, they are having probs using their email with NTL Broadband.

Some emails will send, but some will not. They keep getting an error message.

Does NTL not work with an Eircom email address??

By the way they are using Outlook Express for their emails.

Any help guys?

You need to replace the eircom SMTP server in the Outlook Express account settings with the ntl one - I dont know it sorry but I am sure some of the NTL guys here will give it ot you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

Not sure about using an eircom account on ntl, but i have had problems using other accounts on an eircom connection. Get an error saying the domain (sending address) is not in the allowed list or some crap like that.

iregk wrote:
    Not sure about using an eircom account on ntl, but i have had problems using other accounts on an eircom connection. Get an error saying the domain (sending address) is not in the allowed list or some crap like that.

As I understand it you can use any email account with any isp but you generally need to change the smtp to that of your current isp which would mean you are using the 'send' facility of that isp. However in a thread a while ago someone pointed out that you can use the eircom smtp if you are connected to anothe isp but I cannot remember how you do it. The easiest way in this case would be to get the NTL smtp and just change the setting in the email account in outlook express.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

Yeah thats true you can do that. But at times Eircom but a blocker on their service not allowing any mails to be sent from other accounts.

Example your on eircome and you have mail1.eircom.net set as your smtp but your email is something@ntl.ie you will get an error saying domain not allowed.

You change your smtp to mail.ntl.ie and you get an error saying relaying not allowed. This pops up from time to time and it is eircom's doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Marcopolo85

iregk wrote:
    Yeah thats true you can do that. But at times Eircom but a blocker on their service not allowing any mails to be sent from other accounts.

Example your on eircome and you have mail1.eircom.net set as your smtp but your email is something@ntl.ie you will get an error saying domain not allowed.

You change your smtp to mail.ntl.ie and you get an error saying relaying not allowed. This pops up from time to time and it is eircom's doing.

I've got NTL BB and can receive from several accounts (NTL, Eircom, UTV, etc), but it's best if you reply using the NTL mail. To do this if, say, you've received a mail via an Eircom address (account), just click the dropdown next to the 'from' field (just above the 'to' field) and select the NTL mail to send. You won't have any problems then. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭dealgan

Would it be as simple as "pop before smtp" ?

I've seen this myself where it will try to send any outgoing mail before checking for pop incoming mail, so you get an error.
    But if you try to send immediatley afterwards, it will send ok, because it has just checked the pop account successfully.

Good luck.

It would be helpful if someone would provide the ntl smtp so that the original poster can check if he/she has it set up properly?

Advertisement