Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone know of a Divx player, DVD and HD recorder?

Options
  • 10-08-2005 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to buy a player that can play Divx, record onto DVD and has a HD recorder as well. ANyone heard of such a machine? Is it too much to ask from the likes of Sony???!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

http://www.kiss-technology.com/?p=558&v=users

This is what I was looking for if anyone was interested in buying it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭SolarNexus

Hmm... that does look good. I was thinking of getting something along the same lines if/when I get a 42" plasma. Where would you buy such a thing?

EDIT:
    outch! - €599 at Komplett.ie; thats quite pricey.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Lads I bought a PVR 1001XS from E Bay. I'm finding it difficult to get info on it as its german ( i mean updating firmware etc)
    However it cost 250 euro delivered and the HD (200 GB) was 100 Euro) the HD is removable so I bring it up and down to my PC etc. It is a very good Divx player ( though it needs the latest codex) and a decent DVD player. It has a TV tuner and can record Live TV , pause live TV etc. Also it will drive 5.1 sound and has a USB 2 connection ( not working one minie but others dont complain about it, must be just me, i dont need it anyway , you'd need a laptop as its hardly a portable unit.)
    It does not have the network connection the other units have, but it has loads of inputs and outputs much more then the Kiss one) Also I dont know about Kiss players, they get good press here but I have a DP1000 and I always found it to be groggy.
    I'm making another move soon myself, just to play around with it so I'm also unsure of what to get. If I can get some of the glitches sorted on the PVR 1001XS sorted then I'd recommend it as it loads Divxs up really quickly , instantly infact , has a preview window. Not sure about the recording capabilities though then again I only tried once for about 2 min then i realised that I'd have to read the manual , which is a direct german translation "for sure" so i gave up. But I'll get it sorted

What brand is that PVR 1001xs?

Pixmania have a good few DVDR/HD recorders. Here is exactly what I was looking for at a gret price. Its just a pity it isn't Sony or Kiss...

If anyone finds any other good deals or well specced machines, please post.

EDIT:

Oops! Forgot to post the link! Here ya go.

Its a pity that no one really looks in this forum. I'd say there are much more people interested in this kind of equipment.

its unbranded but its the same as as Sigmatec,
    Auvion PVR 1001XS
    and a North Q 7200.
    You can buy it less a HD on E bay now for about 230 euro, format a HD in FAT 32 and your away, save a few quid compared to pixmania
    I only really use mine to play Divx movies, the portable HD is very handy, got a little IDE to USB2 adaptor for about 15 euro and an extra case so i made the whole thing USB rather than that removable IDE setup. I find it difficult to get info on the player, I have the new firmware but I'm looking for instructions on how to put it on. Maybe a few quid more on a better make? but I'm sticking with mine till i get it sorted as i can tell from the forums that it does work and the XS model sorted alot of issues out, the S stands for stereo tuner something that the older models were shot down for not having.
    Getting it on E bay will save you a few quid.

• Advertisement

Cant post a link but check out www.aldi.ie . They have 100% what i was (originally) looking for. The only thing is that it doesn't have a programme guide like the Kiss, but it does have videoplus. Looks like the one to buy at the mo!

that looks to be what your looking for alright, your not going to do any better for that money IMO as your going to be taking a risk on the make regardless. Will the Kiss program guide work for Ireland? I'd check that out before i bought it, like i said I was cought out before with Archos guide, it was failry limited too

Stoner wrote:
    Will the Kiss program guide work for Ireland? I'd check that out before i bought it, too

Funny you should mention that. Emailed kiss earlier today and they got their distributor for the UK and Ireland to ring me back. I asked specifically does it work with NTL digital. They said it has never been tested but that the Electronic Programming guide should work. It is working with it in England. I'm gonna look at some reviews to see if i can find more on it though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭SolarNexus

if only the Kiss DP-558 had DVD recording ability, I'd buy it instantly but with it being almost €600 and doing not much more than the aldi option, I'm stuck.

SolarNexus wrote:
    if only the Kiss DP-558 had DVD recording ability, I'd buy it instantly but with it being almost €600 and doing not much more than the aldi option, I'm stuck.

I really am torn between the two. The thing abut the Kiss player is that you can transfer files between your computer and the player over a network. So you could use your computer to burn anything that you record.

This and the program guide has me swayed at the mo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭scargill

found the kiss DP-558 unit here for €507 + €22 delivery.

have bought from them before - normally get stuff within a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭ffocused

Aldi will have a 160gb +r/rw recorder from monday for EUR350. it plays divx/mp4, jpegs, mp3 etc.

Advertisement