Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hunting questions

Options
  • 10-08-2005 10:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭

I understand that anyone can apply for a deer hunting licence in Ireland:
    http://www.oasis.gov.ie/culture_and_recreation/sport_and_leisure/sport_in_ireland/deer_licences.html
    I've never known anyone to do this, nor have i ever seen a deer in the wild.
    My question is: what if you didn't have a firearm and actually wanted to hunt with a bow?
    While visiting relations in the US who are avid hunters, they expressed interest in bringing their bows to ireland for this purpose.
    I wonder if this is just totally out of the question, or maybe they wouldn't be allowed to bring a compound bow (including razor-bladed arrow tips) into the country.
    I suppose they'd need to have private land (or private landowners permission) to hunt on anyway. Which they, nor i wouldn't have.
    Ever heard of hunting deer with a bow in ireland?
    Is there somebody or organisation providing accomodation for hunter tourists?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

I'm pretty sure bow hunting is illegal here, although I'm open to correction. AFAIK, even shotgun slugs are in something of a grey area, as the legislation on deer hunting specifically talks about 'rifles.'
    You'd need permission from landowners or membership of a deer syndicate to get a deer licence.
    There are procedures in place for the temporary importation of firearms, but I have no idea what would be involved in bringing in hunting bows, even if you had something to legally hunt. I presume the target archery people do this all the time, so I suppose they might know something about it.
    There's an Archery board here, have you tried asking there?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭allnight_2002

Sorry to have to be the one to tell you this but hunting with a bow in ireland is illegal. But there are alot of archery clubs that you could take them to if they want to use their bows while over here.

Advertisement