Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beginner setting up Wireless Network - help

• 10-08-2005 11:20pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys, I've got a Linksys router and 2 wireless cards, one for a laptop and one for a desktop. I've the internet working fine on them but want to be able to share files. Can anyone point me in the right direction for step by step instrctions on how to do this as I'm pretty new to networks.
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

I assume you use windows XP?
    If so, simply rightclick on the folder you want to share, go to sharing and enable it.
    Then open up 'network neighbourhood' on your desktop on any machine.
    Browse down through it until you find the remote folders you are looking for.
    Then create shortcuts for handy access.

Or, if you know the exact name/IP of the computer: type this in the run box:
    //192.168.XX.XX/SHAREDFOLDERNAME

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

First start off by creating a work group both of them need to be in the same,

Right click my computer/Computer Name/Change - Give them for instance MSHOME.
    Reboot
    This needs to be done on both off them!!

Open your Control Panel and go to Admin Tools > Services. Drill down to your Computer Browser Service and start the Service, then set it to Automatic.

Disable All Firewalls for Testing
    This includes Zone Alarm, Norton Internet Security, and Windows XP's Internet Connection Firewall (ICF). To disable ICF:

Right-click My Network Places (or Start > Run > ncpa.cpl (OK)) and choose properties > Right-click Local Area Network and choose Properties > Advanced tab and deselect (remove the checkbox from) "Protect my computer". Click OK and close out of Network Connections & Control Panel.

Next/ Start/ Run / Cmd / ping the ip adress of the other comp.

Next Start/Settings/network connections/ Right Click your wireless link / Properties/Tcp Ip properties/Advanced/WINS/Click Enable Netbios over Tcpip.
    Do this on both!

Create a Share on both to test - Right click the folder / properties /Sharing /Give it a name.
    Do this on both of them,

Select My Network Places/

Select from the left handside "View Workgroup members"
    And you should be able to see you shares.

If you get something like -
    \pc name is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource...Access is denied." When trying to access a share
    Let me know,

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Cool thanks guys this makes much more sense I'll try it when i get home.

Advertisement