Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

inheriting a laptop?

• 11-08-2005 12:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭

My brother finally got a upgrade on his laptop and he was thinking of giving the old one to me (a P3 dell inspiron 2500).

Now my problems are that one, it has a crappy sized hard drive (think it's 10 or 15 gig not sure) and I'd like to remove it if possible can this be done? to stick in a bigger one and use the smaller drive as an external.

I can't check the laptop itself at the moment as he is away.

Also another thing I learned from using it a while back was that it is painfully running XP with 128mb of ram. I've tried trawling through dell's website to find out if the ram is replaceable but to no avail, I seem to remember a part of dell's site where you can type in the code they give your computer (eg. l34ken) or something like that and it would give you the spec's. does anyone know this website so i can find what type of ram i would need I'm guessing it's pc133 as it's a P3 laptop, I just can't find the site though.

I know the laptop won't be able to suit all my needs eg. gaming (is what my desktop is for) but it would be handy in the future if I ever get broadband to set up a wireless internet so I can use the net anywhere in the house.

Thanks in advance guys

*EDIT* here's an image of the said laptop after some googling.

inspn_2500_front.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Gandalf23

Cremo wrote:
    Now my problems are that one, it has a crappy sized hard drive (think it's 10 or 15 gig not sure) and I'd like to remove it if possible can this be done? to stick in a bigger one and use the smaller drive as an external.

Yes this is possible. My old laptop has a 6gb HDD which I am currently replacing with a 40gb HDD. But beware, some older laptops have a limit to the size of the HDD that can be installed.

I'm not so sure about using the old HDD as an external drive. How exactly do you propose to do this?

Cremo wrote:
    Also another thing I learned from using it a while back was that it is painfully running XP with 128mb of ram. I've tried trawling through dell's website to find out if the ram is replaceable but to no avail, I seem to remember a part of dell's site where you can type in the code they give your computer (eg. l34ken) or something like that and it would give you the spec's. does anyone know this website so i can find what type of ram i would need I'm guessing it's pc133 as it's a P3 laptop, I just can't find the site though.

I would be very surprised if the ram was maxed out at 128mb. There should be a removable panel on the bottom of the laptop where ram can be easily inserted. Should be no problem to put in another 128mb chip (assuming you have a free bay... most laptops of that age have two bays... yours may be taken up with 2 X 64mb).

Hope this helps. Good luck with the laptop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭rick_fantastic

if ur only planning to use it as a internet only laptop for web browsing etc etc

install linux and firefox. xp is not going to run well on a lappy that old. i have an old p3 .5ghz dell latitude at home that im running as a second laptop for my younger brother and sister that has linux from scratch strip down to the bare bones and firefox and gaim for instant messaging. saves them going anywhere near my new laptop and wrecking it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

If your goiing the linux route use mepis(www.mepis.org) you wont even need a hard drive!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

if ur only planning to use it as a internet only laptop for web browsing etc etc

install linux and firefox. xp is not going to run well on a lappy that old. i have an old p3 .5ghz dell latitude at home that im running as a second laptop for my younger brother and sister that has linux from scratch strip down to the bare bones and firefox and gaim for instant messaging. saves them going anywhere near my new laptop and wrecking it

Neither is Firefox on Linux

XP, Windows 2000 theme (not the bubblegum crap one), clean it for spyware, etc; and use Firefox will be far, far, far faster than any modern Linux distro. Firefox on Linux is a noticably inferior product (it also is on the Mac, and on every other platform but BeOS and OS/2) to the Windows builds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

To find out the specs of your Dell go here : http://support.euro.dell.com/ie/en/home.asp
    Select one of the menus from the left and it will prompt you for your service tag, this will then give you all your specs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

www.crucial.com will also tell you what memory is compatible with your Dell laptop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Cremo wrote:
    Max memory is 2*256 for a total of 512. You'll be wanting an SO-DIMM (144 pins). I'd just pop a 256 module in there in addition to the current 128 and I'd get that from crucial.com or from shop4memory.com for nice cheap prices. Dell will sell you the same thing but they'll ride you royally for it.

A total of 384 as opposed to 256 will allow you to run XP nicely on the machine, even if it's just a p3-500 (or even a 450). I would guess that you'll have no problems with a 40gig drive, though it *might* take a bigger one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

Here ya go. Some handy notes on that lappie. Linky
    And try shop4memory.com for some RAM. Its pricey for the old P3 Dells so try looking for compatible 2nd hand gear too.

Nukem

EDIT:try this manual too and this too
    If anyone can get back into the index page of all the Dells please PM me the link as it would be handy for the stickies.Cheers Nukem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

thanks guys for all your help.

it turns out he wants to keep the hard drive if it's removable so fair enough, i'll buy one myself (as i was planning)

i would rather have 512mb of ram in it though instead of 384mb and then i can sell the 128mb if needs be.

i don't know exactly what speed the p3 is but i'm positive that it's not a 500mhz one anyway, probably more like a 700mhz one

Cremo wrote:
    i don't know exactly what speed the p3 is but i'm positive that it's not a 500mhz one anyway, probably more like a 700mhz one
    CPUZ or SiSandra - check the computer forum->essential software once you get your hands on it

• Advertisement

yeh i'll be able to find out once i get the dell tag name off it.

just out of pure curiosity how much would you reckon i'd get for this if i was to sell it? just like to know it's worth.

Depends on CPU - Gfx - age -condition - OS........blah....blah
    Will have to get quote once you have the full spec.
    Nukem

Nukem wrote:
    Depends on CPU - Gfx - age -condition - OS........blah....blah
    Will have to get quote once you have the full spec.
    Nukem
    suppose, actually it was rather stupid of me to even ask without the spec's smile.gif

i'll try and get them asap

Advertisement