Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless Modem/Router & Internet timeout

• 11-08-2005 7:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭

Hi

I've tried to install my Netgear DG834GB (replacing original modem which worked ok), however I cannot get an internet connection, pages timeout. Wireless works ok as my laptop can see the routers config page. The lights on front of the Netgear box indicate that I have a DSL connection available and when I look at the statistics menu I can see that I have 6MB down and 600kb up.
    I then connected with an ethernet cable to rule out any wireless issues but same problem.
    My username and password are ok. I came across a site which provided VCI and VVI(?) values (no idea what these are) and DNS1 and DNS2 address's but still didn't help. I've read about other people using the same Netgear modem/router so compatability is not an issue.

Any idea's as to what I might be doing wrong? Thought this might be something basic that I am missing :o I'm living in Germany and I would call customer support but my German is not so good!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

jester77 wrote:
    Hi
    My username and password are ok. I came across a site which provided VCI and VVI(?) values (no idea what these are) and DNS1 and DNS2 address's but still didn't help. I've read about other people using the same Netgear modem/router so compatability is not an issue.

In my case, using UTV ClickSilver, I got the VPI and VCI figures from UTV
    So you should be able to get these from your service provider. I was unable to connect to the net until I set these correctly (probably amongst other things).

If you can see the router config page over wireless and wired, then the problem is not on your home network. The problem is on the other side ie modem connecting to the net. MAke sure you have all the right settings, is service provider using PPPoE or PPPoA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I think I've all the right settings but I will check.
    It's PPPoE, I have 8 & 35 for VPI and VCI and have a DNS1 and DNS2 address entered, plus my user name and password.
    Are there other settings I would also need to ask for, either for my laptop or the netgear box?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

Jester77 - --

also bought the Netgear DG834G modem/wireless router.

I do not have a dsl line yet (ref my other threads) but I cannot get my phone to work thru the splitter.
    Do I have to have a dsl for the splitter to work.
    Is the BT splitter different.

What way do you have your phone line/splitter/router set-up

thx
    karl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

karltimber wrote:
    Jester77 - --

also bought the Netgear DG834G modem/wireless router.

I do not have a dsl line yet (ref my other threads) but I cannot get my phone to work thru the splitter.
    Do I have to have a dsl for the splitter to work.
    Is the BT splitter different.

What way do you have your phone line/splitter/router set-up

thx
    karl.

I had no phone line before I got DSL in, phone line came free with the package, so I can't say if the phone would have worked before DSL was enabled. My current setup is: splitter plugged into phone line, and modem and phone plugged into splitter. Works ok with supplied modem. Just having the problems above with the Netgear not getting an internet connection!

Advertisement