Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost IP address

• 11-08-2005 10:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi guys,

I have a problem with my linksys WRT54G router. It is connected to the internet via NTL set-up box (STB) and it suddenly stopped working after a year :mad:. If I connect my PC straight to the STB, all is fine. So I know for sure my broadband connection works. But if I put the router in between, I can no longer access the internet.

The router is set to obtain an IP address automatically and used DCHP, but on the status page the IP address shows 0.0.0.0. which is obviously not normal. I brought the router to work and I had the IT guy to look at it. When he connected it without changing any of the setting, he obtained an IP address right away. So it seems that my router is not faulty.

So what do I do now :confused:???

Please help :o,

SebSub

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

It could be that your mac address on your router isn't recognised anymore. Try changing it by using SMAC. If this doesn't help, you'll probably have to reset the router...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Have you tried connecting the router and power cycling the modem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 SebSub

paulm17781 wrote:
    Have you tried connecting the router and power cycling the modem?

I tried switching off the pc, router and set-up box and turning everything back on, if this is what you mean. But the router still refuses to pick an IP address.

I have not tried to clone my PC MAC address, as Wolverine_1999 mentioned. Should I?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

Have you tried resetting your router to factory settings? Also try doing a DHCP release and renew on the router. It's under the 'status' menu and the submenu 'router'.

Raz wrote:
    Have you tried resetting your router to factory settings? Also try doing a DHCP release and renew on the router. It's under the 'status' menu and the submenu 'router'.

Yes, I have done that, but still no change in my IP address.

• Advertisement

SebSub wrote:
    I tried switching off the pc, router and set-up box and turning everything back on, if this is what you mean. But the router still refuses to pick an IP address.

Did you try the NTL modem (is this what you mean by set-up box)? It will stick to what ever mac address it has when powered on.

paulm17781 wrote:
    Did you try the NTL modem (is this what you mean by set-up box)?

No, I don't have a separate modem. You plug the router internet port straight into the NTL cable box.

Where did you get that box? I want one of them!

Last thing I can think of, did you check the cable between router and STB?

paulm17781 wrote:
    Last thing I can think of, did you check the cable between router and STB?

That's a very good point and definitely worth checking. It could be the key of this mistery :rolleyes:. I'll try when I get home.

Let me know!

Where did you get that STB? Are you in the UK? I didn't think they did combo-boxes here.

• Advertisement

I assume then that you've tried the hard reset button on the back of the linksys?

Check the Status and Logs page while the router is plugged in to your NTL BB and make sure you're getting an IP Address (if this is the IP that is getting 0.0.0.0 then you can skip to the bit at the end)

When you log into the router the first page that is displayed is the basic setup page.
    Here you need to have set the following,
    Automatic configuration - DHCP (drop down at the top)
    DHCP server - Enable
    Maximum number of DHCP users - 10 (anything greater than zero really)
    Client Lease Time - 0 (unless you want your computers to renew their ip address more quickly)

Check the Access restrictions page and make sure that internet access is not denied at any time.

If none of the above helped then it seems your WAN port has stopped sendtraffic. Just to be sure replace the cables if you can (though if you get an ip address on your PC using the same cable that would connect to the WAN port on your router then you may need a crossover cable. To tell if it's a crossover cable hold the two ends together and if the colour sequence of the wires inside the cable doesn't match its a crossover cable. You should be able to see the wires through the clear pulgs at the end).
    Try updating the firmware on the router. Go to the linksys website and you'll find it there some where, it might be under software updates or something else like that. To upgrade the firmware on the router go to the administration page and go to the 'Firmware Upgrade' submenu. Browse for the file (if you downloaded it in a zip file you'll need to extract it first) and start the upgrade. Once done power everything down including the STB if you can, and disconnect the STB from the router. Then power the STB back up, then the router. Plug the STB back into the router, then start the PC.

Let us know if you have any solution with any of that.

Yes, I am in the UK. The Set-Top-Box (and not set-up-box, as I first wrote) is the box provided by NTL to watch their cable TV. In addition, it has a broadband connection port. So subsrcibers to the cable TV channels can connect to the internet without extra device.

Hi guys,

I got home with a cable borrowed from work, your instructions Raz and a firm intention to fix my router problem. So I switched the STB off, turn it on again, plugged in my router and turn my PC on. I then went into Internet Explorer with the intention to look at my router set-up. To my great surprise my browser showed the ntl provision loggin page where you have to registger your PC before accessing the BB. So I did, turn everything off and back on again and it works :D!!!! It even works with my original cable.

The only thing that could have made a difference is that I left the STB off for half an hour. So I can only conclude that NTL expect their customer to be extreeeeemly patient and have a lot of cup of teas when things go wrong...

Thanks guys for your help and constructive comments. It was well appreciated in these trouble times. I'll keep your suggestions and instructions safe for the future. Just in case....

Nice one :)
    At least you didn't have to go through all the set up crap. As a friend of mine says, if it's stupid and it works then it's not stupid :)

Advertisement