Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Debenhams Mahon Point closing ?

Options
  • 11-08-2005 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭

I have it on very good authority that Debenhams are pulling out of Mahon Point fairly shortly, to be replaced by another large UK retailer ! - haven't got details of the incoming store, but the only hint I was given was that they have been advertising quite heavily on 96FM recently....

I don't listen to 96 that much - just wondered if anyone had heard of anyone recruiting recently ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

sounds strange to me, i would imagine that Debenhams would have taken out at the very minimum a 1 year lease if not more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Harvey Norman is running recruitment ads at the moment.

Go Harvery Go!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭gubby

I heard that Debenhams are moving into the examiner office when they move out.. dont know how true that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Could well be Harvey Norman - closest I was told was that it sounded a bit like 'Halfords' !!. Not sure that HN's would be big enough to take both floors though ?

I understand that Debenhams have a get out clause in their lease providing they fill the space with a suitable new anchor tenant - i.e , they cant just leave the place empty.

If I get any more info - I'll keep ya posted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

gubby wrote:
    I heard that Debenhams are moving into the examiner office when they move out.. dont know how true that is.

Ah cool. Some chance I'd actually take a look if it was in town.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I cant see that this is in anyway true. A chain like Debenhams would not move into such an agreement without having done proper SWOT analysis on this first. I would assume that they didnt expect to turn profit in their first year, as to assume such would be stupid.

I expect, like most new enterprises opening in Cork, there is a contingency for loss for a few years, much like Red fm.

People are harping on about MP being on its knees etc, but that is only looking at it as a half truth. Sure the stores may not be doing extremely well at the moment. But the very same can be said of Wilton SC and Douglas Court SC when they were in their infancies.

Maybe the original poster is on the ball, but Id be very surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Agreed with Simu there. I'm a big fan of Debenhams, but when you don't drive, getting out to Mahon Point is too much hassle. It would be much better if they were in town

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

gubby wrote:

Well that sounds realistic since O'Callaghan is developing both but i imagine it'll be sometime before they could move into the city center, when is that development supposed to be completed?

gimmick wrote:
    Maybe the original poster is on the ball, but Id be very surprised.

Must admit to being very sceptical myself Gimmick when I first heard, but my source works for Debenhams corporate services & says they've been working on the re-location plan for some time now.

I'm not knocking MP - I think its a great centre - very clean (although serious lack of cash points) - just not much else there in terms of major stores. The expansion into the north car park is not scheduled until 2009. Most shopping centres have at least two major stores - one at each end - unless you count Tesco !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 lindawards

I cant believe some of the talk I am hearing about Debenhams Mahon Point
    closing. My friend is a manager in the store and it is performing
    out of its skin, trashing all its targets and that they have a 30 year
    lease. I can tell you that Debenhams have no intentions of leaving Mahon
    Point, and are already in discussions about extending their store in Mahon.
    As for the old Examiner office, I hear they want to have a place in the city also because of the success of Mahon. Also, my friend asked me last week if I would like to work for them as they are recruiting more staff and that they took on an extra 100 staff since opening, why would they be doing that. They are also opening another store in Newbridge in Kildare in April next year because of how well Cork was for them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

harvey norman are moving to the old woodies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭solice

Femmy wrote:
    harvey norman are moving to the old woodies.

Is that in Blackpool or am i thinking of Atlantic Homecares old premises

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

You must be thinking of Atlantic Homecare. The old Woodies is accross the road from where they are now out by the dump.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Presumably they're knocking the old Woodies?

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Amnesiac_ie

I don't drive so I'm not a frequent visitor to MP but I have lived in the UK and Debenhams was one of my favourite department stores there. Personally I'd love to see them relocate or open a second store in the city centre but I realistically I'd say both are unlikely for a number of years.

Is traffic still a big problem at MP? Are there any sensible suggestions about improving the situation?

The traffic isn't too bad anymore, or so it seems to me. Its much better than it was at the start.

Indeed, traffic is much better now. Traffic lights are a bit slow though.

When they are red you can be waiting for a good bit but once they go green it seems like all roads leading to the lights clear in seconds. I think its one of the few places where the lights seem to work well.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭dogg_r_69

dahamsta wrote:
    Presumably they're knocking the old Woodies?

They're not knocking it It's staying the same building Just revamping it They company I work for's the contract for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 lukewarm

debenhams have sign a long lease there and the footfall is too good for them to give up and with all the parking there ,they would be out of their minds to gove it up but i say the rent is crazy. i am doing studies in retail management and i was doing a test on them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

lukewarm wrote: »
    debenhams have sign a long lease there and the footfall is too good for them to give up and with all the parking there ,they would be out of their minds to gove it up but i say the rent is crazy. i am doing studies in retail management and i was doing a test on them.

That's nice, but this discussion ended over 3 years ago :)

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭BeansMeansHynes

and they are still open :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭viota

I think debahnams are overpriced and have bad quality clothes there.I would be glad for them to move.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

WTF are you doing reviving this old thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭indenial

Got a shock there when I read the thread. ...........looked at the post and it was 2005 :rolleyes:

I have it on very good authority that Andip is full of crap.

I have it on very good authority that Andip is full of crap.

Thanks...very enlightening & informative comment

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Andip wrote: »
    Thanks...very enlightening & informative comment

well in fairness your original post has been found to be equally enlightening and informative!

Can we please lock/close this useless and OLD thread!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement