Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Favourite song/band outside dance/electronica...

• 11-08-2005 10:36am

Seeing as we all surely liked music before the days of 'Jack Your Body', MARRS and 'n n n n n n Nineteen', there are obviously bands and songs we like that contain no hint of synths or loops or feedback.

So who are they?

For me, gotta be Simple Minds. Seen them live a good few times, have everything they released. Have worn the double DVD 'Seen the Lights' through. Have read the books about them. Have paper clippings from the 80s, badges, bandanas (yep, even bandanas - well it WAS the 80s), sweatshirts, teeshirts...everything.

Also love New Romantic - anything from China Crisis to Ultravox to Duran Duran.

And for some reason I also liked some of the more headbanging goth stuff, like The Sisters of Mercy's 'This Corrosion'.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭BogOak

reggae, funk, soul, disco.

ken booth, toots & the maytals, lee perry...

much stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

The Stone Roses although they did blur the boundaries with stuff like Fools Gold and Begging You.

Pure genius though.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Meant to respond to this sooner...

I started out with various 80's bands such as The Smiths, The Cure, Depeche Mode, New Order etc. Then came The Happy Mondays, The Stone Roses and around the same time Cypress Hill & a bit of NWA. Would have also liked Guns & Roses back in the distant past! List is endless as there have been so many over the years along with my love for electronic / dance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

grindcore metal like napalm death, boltthrower etc all the old school earache recordings stuff,

jazz: miles davis, cannonball adderly, a lot of the experimental european ECM ecordings stuff [garbarek, terje rypdal et. al.]

reggae/dancehall

to be honest though, apart from my very early years [when i was eight years old] listening to boltthrower and frank zappa i got into stuff like kraftwerk when my stepmother gave me her copy of autobahn on vinyl to listen to when i was eleven.. couldnt figure out how it sounded like it was from the future but was older than i was!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

The Engineers, Longview, and I'm a huge fan of soundtracks from movies. And I like a bit of U2 and Coldplay and some stuff like that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

heavy metal! ohh the times have changed. Napelm Death & Decide, Slayer all that sh*te. Then onto grunge Perl Jam & Nirvana, Stone Roses. Then electro stuff like Prodigy and Chemcial Brothers and now a bit of everything - House, DnB, Hip Hop, Jazz, Singer/Songwritter stuff....I really like the 80's side of things as well but thats only in the last 3 years, i got into the Smiths/Cure/New Order/Talking Heads

Advertisement