Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Database Editor for Windows

• 11-08-2005 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

Anyone know of a decent open source MS Access database editor for the windows platform?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Microsoft Office..................

lol, Sorry I had to say it. Seriously, Try OpenOffice.org :p

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭kevpatts

I have OpenOffice.org but it doesn't come with any database apps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Yes, it does, the new one open office beta 2 has a thing called base

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

Given the following programs are available to download:
    - Converters from access to mysql, and visa versa.
    - Mysql (where you can also get mysqlcc, a graphical client)
    Would these be of any help?
    I haven't had to use the converters as I just use Mysql now.

If there's nothing else available it might get you out of a dead end, but I'd anticipate partial success if the access database includes user forms, reports, scripts etc. aside from the tables and queries.

One thing to be careful of if you convert from ms access to mysql and back again, that the conversion between the data types on each platform results in the final access types you need. There are schema viewers that may be of use to see the result.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

kevpatts wrote:
    I have OpenOffice.org but it doesn't come with any database apps.
    The beta 1.9.m122 version has some dB utils that aren't in the normal 1.1.4. release.

But if you are looking for something 100% compatible with an Acces dB then not even a different version of Access will do - they keep changing the format :mad:

If it's just the data you want then you should be able to import into Excel (easiest) or whatever using ODBC or if you have access to Access then export it as Excel format, I'm not sure how you export the SQL statememts , but doable. - check out the stuff posted by democrates

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭netron

Dont know of any Windows versions, but on Linux/KDE there's Kexi, which is in development. Very access like in terms of the GUI.

http://www.koffice.org/kexi/screenshots.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Valehru

Im pretty sure that there is a php interface you can use in conjunction with MySQL. The PHP server would have to be running off of a web server. Last time I looked it actually didnt have a bad interface as well as the fact that its free!

you can get it from here http://www.phpmyadmin.net

Advertisement