Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Car :) No Tax :(

Options
  • 11-08-2005 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭

Bought myself a Peugeot 206 on Monday, very happy with it. Only problem is that the tax is a month out of date (end of June), and I won't have the new reg cert for at least a week or so. Will the Gardai accept the "I've just bought it" excuse, particularly if I show them the invoice?

And no holier than thou, "You shouldn't be driving in a public place without tax". I'm well aware, thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Go tax office (one in D22 ) and pay off like €50 stick the receipt on the windscreen and you have 50 less to pay when you get cert. They will take it as long as you have logbook irc.

Worked for a guy i know but not sure if it was brand new car or 2nd hand.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Realistically, your chances of being questioned about the lack of a tax disk are very small, and your excuse is legitimate. Hold on until you get the cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

I was in exactly the same boat. I bought the car in March, and the tax had been out of date since October. To make matters worse, the garage I bought it off "forgot" to send off the Change of Ownership form for ages, so it was a good month before I actually got it.
    I went to the Tax Office and explained my situation. They said it wasn't uncommon, and said they would stamp my tax form. I asked what would happen if a guard stopped me, and she actually said "sure what can you do?". I got the impression it's not that serious, and it certainly comforted me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

And if you find a fine when returning to the car, just post a copy of the tax disk once you have it sorted and a copy of the invoice and they will cancel the fine. At least that's what happened to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

KdjaC wrote:
    Go tax office (one in D22 ) and pay off like €50 stick the receipt on the windscreen and you have 50 less to pay when you get cert. They will take it as long as you have logbook irc.
    Don't think that will work. You cannot pay the tax unless the car is in your name. If you haven't received the Vehicle Registration Form the car will still be in the previous owner's name, and they will not allow you to tax it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

seamus wrote:
    Will the Gardai accept the "I've just bought it" excuse, particularly if I show them the invoice?.

In a nut shell - I'd say yes. These things happen - have a phot copy of the invoice with you to be sure
    seamus wrote:
    And no holier than thou, "You shouldn't be driving in a public place without tax". I'm well aware, thanks.

But can we rib you about joing the 4-Wheeled Dark Side? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Don't be worrying about it. When I changed cars I too was waiting about 3 or 4 weeks before I could tax it and in the meantime I encountered 3 checkpoints. Only once did i have to show proof I just bought it, the 2 other times I just explained the story to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

I was driving a month waiting for the tax to go through. There was no problems. I asked a Guard if it was ok and he said its fine. Drive away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Agreed, just keep the sales doc with you.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

As soon as the car is put in your name you can tax it, you dont physically need the Book, there can be a week or two between when the system is updated and the book is sent out to you, so give the local motor tax office or the dept of enviroment in shannon a ring, give them your reg and if it is in your name proceed to the tax office post haste!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Not true Jonnybadd, I've queued for 3 1/2 hours in Dublin today (Chancery St.) and was told to come back when I have the VRC with me. They CAN'T issue tax unless you have ALL the documentation listed on the tax renewal form with you - This is not required if you're renewing tax, but it's essential the first time you're taxing the vehicle in your name.

Gil

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭samo

Gil_Dub wrote:
    Not true Jonnybadd, I've queued for 3 1/2 hours in Dublin today (Chancery St.) and was told to come back when I have the VRC with me. They CAN'T issue tax unless you have ALL the documentation listed on the tax renewal form with you - This is not required if you're renewing tax, but it's essential the first time you're taxing the vehicle in your name.

Gil

To be honest I think they may well have just been awkward with you! I've changed car 3 times this year and on each occasion there has been a delay with the Vehicle licensing certificate and as soon as I got confirmation that the chg of ownership had gone through from Shannon they told me that you can get it taxed without the VLC, in my case didnt have to show the NCT cert or insurance docs either.

I just needed to provide name+address and insurance policy number and name of company...didnt even ask for chassis number etc.

This was the case in Nutgrove and Naas....only problem I did come across was that if you try and tax it in say Dublin tax office but registered address is different county then this is a problem. If the chg of owneship had NOT been completed, they said if you had previous owners details they would issue a tax cert also if the RF100 was filled out with the previous owners details! (That I was surprised about!!)

All 3 times Shannon said if there were any problems to get tax office to ring and they would authorise it but never any problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Cheers guys. For the record, I did email them today, and I was told that "You cannot tax the car until it is registered in your name". She took the reg to check if it had been transferred over yet, and it hasn't. Not sure if she would have let me go ahead if the transfer had gone through.
    It would seem that possession of the cert is more than likely a timesaver/security thing. If you go into the tax office without the reg. cert., then they'd have to look it up, and get photo I.D. to verify that you are who you say you are. If you send it in, then they have no way of knowing that the registered owner is the applicant, without the reg cert. It makes sense that the person in possession of the reg cert is the owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Yeah thats true. It has to be in your name.
    Until you get it done though you should be able to drive around, chances of meeting a guard slim but if you do they should take the excuse that you are waiting on the tax

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Seamus you will be grand,

When you tell Gards youve just bought the car hence no tax they check the commencement date of your insurance disc. If this was 7 months ago you obviously had the car for 7 months. If it started 2 weeks ago your away in a hack!!

Chief

Advertisement