Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Festival Survival

• 11-08-2005 11:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 226 ✭✭

Ok, I'm off to Reading in 2 weeks. Anyone have any survival tips for festivals?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 89 ✭✭nevisgod

Most importantly bring Sunscreen even if forecast is bad. SUNSCREEN. sleeping bag, tent, lots of drink, toilet paper some kind of torch. maybe a few tins of food if ur trying to save on funds. food is v. expensive at festivals and tastes like ****e. and again SUNSCREEN.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

agreed sunscreen I got burnt on the saturday of oxegen and it was cloudy... toilet paper is a definate must have oh and what ever you do don't forget your TICKETS I had to drive one of my friends back to Waterford to get her's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

looooads of socks & a pair of wellies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Nimrod's Son

3 necessities: Sunscreen (bring a bucket of it if necesary), water (nothing beats a nice mouthful of water) and toilet paper (don't get caught short!).
    Usual stuff after that: ticket, money, phone, food, change of clothes (especially socks!) and those plastic ponchos are fierce handy. Also a torch and baby-wipes are nice to have.
    That stuff got me through Oxegen. I'm off to the Leeds festival myself but I'm just going for the Saturday so I'll only need a selection of the above items.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

maggz wrote:
    Ok, I'm off to Reading in 2 weeks. Anyone have any survival tips for festivals?
    I'll be there on the Friday :)

Relevant to Reading festival, avoid flying containers of beer coloured liquid :(
    You're very lucky this year, the weather last year for about a month before the fest was damp, as a result the place was muddy and water-logged, disaster area. Luckily the weather's been good here all Summer so no problems.
    Arrive as early as possible if you want a decent campspot - I haven't camped there but seems to be a trend that people are arriving earlier and earlier. All the early campsite entry tickets have been sold as far as I know.
    Festival site is very near the town, so if you've forgotten anything major don't go without - it's a fairly straight forward procedure getting on and off the site.
    Have fun!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 226 ✭✭maggz

p.pete wrote:
    QUOTE]

I presume you've been at it before?? Any reason for not camping, or should I ask!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

maggz wrote:
    p.pete wrote:
    QUOTE]

I presume you've been at it before?? Any reason for not camping, or should I ask!!!
    Like I said, last year was a mud bath. We went there on Thursday, tents in-hand and had the option of pitching in a puddle and then walking everywhere in puddles or dropping the gear back in my gaff and going to the pub, not very hardcore :o
    In hindsight it would have been fun to splash about in a pair of wellies ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 226 ✭✭maggz

hmm... interesting...
    lets pray for sun...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭spiderlegs

OK
    Smokes-can be traded to drunken desperate for a fag kinda peoples...
    Sleeping Bag-Obvious
    Babywipes-What can't they do?!
    Mobile
    Loads of Toilet Paper
    Food-pop tarts,popcorn,bars of chocolate are all good in my book
    Torch-you will need one if it gets dark
    Nail file-you will probably need one
    Those toothbrushy yolks that don't need water
    Suncream and a hat! You can never be sure
    Eh that's all I can think of right about now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭Toast

As has been said Reading town is only a short walk away so you wont be stuck for beer / money as bad as you would be anywhere else so dont bring TONNES of drink the first day. Bring some for the first night get your campsite up and then head out to the town to get the big crates.

If you dont mind paying at little extra to save on the walk there are trailers nearby which will sell you trays of 24 cans or also on site there are places you can by trays of carling or grolsch. I think they sold out of grolsch pretty quickly last year so find them quick (they'll be marked as the carry out bar on the map).

Get your wrist band around 8 or 9pm on the Thursday. If you wait till Friday morning you will be stuck queuing for an hour with the day people. Choose a good meeting point once you are in the arena and arrange times to meet people. We traditionally used the poster stand (you'll see it when you get in).

The toilets in the arena are generally decent but the campsite ones are horrible. If you really get festival toiletitis there are toilets in the nearby rivermead center as well as showers but there is a charge for them. You may want to take some immoduim.

If it gets really warm in the morning (tents start to get unbearably hot around 9-10am in the sun) theres a tent bar that is open before the arena is which you can get some beer and shelter from the sun. You should be able to find it on the map you get with your program (6 sterling but worth it).

Other than that enjoy yourself. Ive always liked Reading (last year was a bit of a downer though with the weather) and I wish I was going this year. :-(

• Advertisement
Advertisement