Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The worst game in your collection?

Options
  • 11-08-2005 11:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭

Getting stuck back into Beyond Good & Evil this morning got me thinking... "i've got some top quality games here, but which one is the worst..."

Thankfully i've got rid of any EA fodder that was sullying my almost impeccable gamecube collection, so that only leaves me with "Mortal Kombat - Alliance"
    It's an alright game... ruined by only supporting the (crappy) gamecube's dpad.
    only 1 game out of 24 that i'd consider selling isn't too bad :)

i'm dying to hear what the likes of Retr0 would consider to be their worst game

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

tbh, wouldn't sell any of my xbox games. Most of them are for MP options so always come in handy.

as for the pc:
    possibly the Sims2. True Crime.
    too many others to think properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Worst game in my collection... Hard to say. I tend to trade in games if I don't like them. But probably Super Mario Sunshine. It was horribly disappointing after the work of genius that was Super Mario 64.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I think I may still have a copy of Malice lying around somewhere for the PS2... it's horrible... it's like a platform game made by people who have only ever read about platform games in books but never actually played one... And the main characters sub-standard Buffy style 'tude is just cringe worthy...

Oh... and I also have Beyblade for the Gamecube, my Newphew insisted I buy it... it's terrible... you just press a button and the spinning tops spin away and you really can't affect them in any way whatsoever.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Not many bad games I intentionally own:

Final Fantasy X-2: By far the worst game I bought. After the excellent FFX this game is a huge disgrace. Awful story and even worse to play. Can't believe i pre-ordered this from America.

Front Mission 4: Not altogether bad but very disappointing. Combat really wasn't much fun and even the if Disgaea wasn't out at the same time it would have been outclassed.

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance: It really isn't very good. Much better strategy games are available on the GBA and compared to the original FF tactics on the PS it is a disgrace.

Contra Advance: Containing levels from Contra 3 and Contra Hard Corps it should have been decent. Something wnet horribly wrong and the whole game just doesn't feel right

Freak out: It was from treasure so it had to be good? I was very wrong. At least the game was over in less than 3 hours.

Legend of Dragoon: Very average RPG made annoying by a dreadful translation.

Sparkster: Rocket Knight Adventures was one of the highlights of the Mega Drive. The sequel however was a bit naff. I completely lost the feel of the first game and never really felt like a sequel.

Max Payne 1+2: Never liked them. I got bored of the samey gameplay after about 2 hours. Thankfully they didn't last much longer.

SOF 2: Jingoist american crap. If the game was good I wouldn't mind but it wasn't.

Xenosaga: Ridiculously overrated. Awful, awful battle system with the worst CPU cheating ever, even worse than Mario Kart 64. So the story in Xenogears was amazing but the story in in Xenosaga is terrible and the game slows to a crawl after the intial encounter with the Gnosis. Not truly bad but that battle system really is no fun at all.

I'll probably add a few more when I get home and look at my collection. It's actually a very high ratio of good:bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

I tend not to buy crap games - usually wait for a bit of feedback about them and buy them on the cheap a few months later. But if I had to say it would have to be Counter-Strike:Condition Zero (controversial?) this game is just the same old FREE CS 1.6 with some fancy theme music and a diabolical single-player game. Anyone who has played the "deleted scenes" campaign will agree with me on this one, the core gameplay revolves around standing and shooting at enemies whilst they stand shooting at you until one of you is dead, this process is repeated a few times per level until u reach the most shockingly bad final mission of all time. You play as an SAS member in Belfast who is out to stop a certain unnamed irish terrorist organisation (who cud that be then?) from detonating a nuke on the top of a skyscraper. Here are the flaws

1. This terrorist organisation, lets call them "the Ra" have got a nuke somehow - its not explained how - i guess that would make to much sense. ffs a nuke?

2. The terrorists wear "generic terrorist model no.3" which sees them wearing jungle combat gear -(it is green) in the middle of a feckin city!

3. The city of Belfast is FULL of giant skyscrapers as far as the eye can see (stuuuu-pid)

4. The terrorists speak with the worst fake irish accents ive ever heard.

5. The final battle is a time-limited battle against a "boss" character named o'reilly (or something). This character uses a samurai sword instead of a gun and can take about 1000 damage (several clips of ammo) since when did "the Ra" have an enigmatic samurai leading them?

6. The ra seem to be incredibly well equipped with the most up-to-date firearms, armour, deployable machine guns and grenades - didnt know they had the funds for this kinda gear let alone a feckin nuke!

This game should be AVOIDED AT ALL COSTS!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

death rally, god it was a pile of poo.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Hercule wrote:
    5. The final battle is a time-limited battle against a "boss" character named o'reilly (or something). This character uses a samurai sword instead of a gun and can take about 1000 damage (several clips of ammo) since when did "the Ra" have an enigmatic samurai leading them?

You haven't heard about the IRA ninja leprachaun squad?

You haven't heard about the IRA ninja leprachaun squad?

No, wink wink thats a different organisation wink ;) wink
    at no point are the wink wink IRA wink wink or any other organisation wink wink mentioned in the game (besides the CTs obviously) i was talking about a "fictional" organisation that may or may not exist wink wink

man that was a lot of winking, now my eyes hurt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

Retr0gamer wrote:
    SOF 2: Jingoist american crap. If the game was good I wouldn't mind but it wasn't.

Sof2 was very good online i stay play it the odd time :) and the single player was entertaining for the 30 different parts u cud blow off :D

worse game? were to start....
    recently anyway:
    deus ex 2 oh god how did i pay full price for this thing! wait im remember cuz the orginal was a masterpiece :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Sgtshaft

Ri_Nollaig wrote:
    deus ex 2 oh god how did i pay full price for this thing! wait im remember cuz the orginal was a masterpiece :D

Just about to post that, it was a crying shame they fcuked it up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 AutoLink

Doom 3 is woeful, it so boring, i mean the textures are great, and general graphics, but god is the game play boring as ****.

Ri_Nollaig wrote:
    Sof2 was very good online i stay play it the odd time :) and the single player was entertaining for the 30 different parts u cud blow off :D

Well I never play it online and I got over the damage system after the shotgun in the first level. Then it turned into yet another generic raven fps game. Actually I think I will add Jedi Outcast to my list. Painfully average and an insult to dark forces and jedi knight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Bad games in my collection are:

Pirates! - fun for half an hour until you realise the rest of the game is going to be that same half an hour over and over and over.

Republic: The Revolution - this looked interesting, but its implementation sucked major ass. I still think there could be a good game in the whole "control a political party and take over the country" idea.

Deus Ex: Invisible War - from the first awe inspiring game to this, well, piece of sh1t.

3 games out of about 30 I'm not happy with. Not bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭dimerocks

Carmageddon on the n64 was fairly awful from my vague memory.its gone now mind.the phrase it came out out nowhere comes to mind when thinking about the popups

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Hmm... Doom3 and state of emergency, both on PC. What a bunch of arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Hmm, well while i've never intentionally bought a bad game, some stinkers have slipped in riding on a wave of hype and word of mouth from people who shouldn't be allowed to talk

the biggest offenders are

Neverwinter Nights: Dull, dull, dull oh so pointlessly dull. The Story is ass, and it exposes the biggest flaw in converting PnP RPG's so faithfully to an interactive medium. The best part of tabletop RPG's is the ability think outside the box, do things your way, be proper evil, not some wishy-washy, inconsistant version of evil and most importantly to backstab, scheme and steal from yuor 'team-mates'. None of which you can do in NwN, so why bother...

Doom 3:

Overhyped Tech demo.

Soldier of Fortune II: Double Helix
    The jungle level... super accurate grenades you can't see... how utterly pleasant.
    It's a pitty, because i really enjoyed the first level.

Sonic R:
    look it was only a tenner, and despite having terrible music, horrible controls, poor courses i still cleared it, and had a small measure of fun whilst going so...
    i may be broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

You people suck :p

Doom 3 was v good, Deus Ex 2 was great, Max Payne (1&2) rocked. You definitely own worse games than these!

As for me I'd say Quake 3 on the Dreamcast is a steaming pile of poop, but I got it for free. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Deus ex- Invisible war.
    Daikatana.
    Carmageddon 2 ----carmageddon was pretty good I found and then they went and added this jelly like feeling to the force feedback and that made it crap

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

I'm sure I accidentaly picked up crap games ove the years but the main one that sticks out in my mind is -

X-FILES : THE GAME on PS

**Shudder**
    unplayable, boring, glitchy, annoying dialogue, ****e story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

Carma 2 was great! the crash engine was second to none!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

djmarkus wrote:
    Carma 2 was great! the crash engine was second to none!

I was using a sidewinder wheel and the steering went to jelly from 1-->2, was unplayable, totally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

Worst game i own is the matrix game, got it when i bought my GC second hand and it is the biggest pile of **** i have ever played. its basically a retarded version of max payne. I Played about 10 minutes of it and i will never touch it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

EA Sports Rugby 2004.

OMG.

Whoever made this game should be shot.

Twice.

To make sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

CART Fury on PS2. Oh My God. I saw it for a fiver and I'm into racing so I thought 'how bad could it be', well I got my answer. Horrific horrific game. It's the first(and last) time I've ever experimented like that without knowing anything whatsoever about the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Gizzard

Starwars Galaxies, I waited for a year and preorderd 3 copies six months before release, such a huge dissapointment, one of the dullest games I have ever played, terrible broken game design.

Might and Magic 9 was another big dissapointment, as was KoTR 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

pirates! on the pc was absolute muck. Glorified rehash of a 15+ year old game.
    Vampire the masquerade bloodlines too, my god what a pile of glitchy, boring bollocks that game was.

Vampire the masquerade bloodlines too, my god what a pile of glitchy, boring bollocks that game was.

NO, I will not allow you to tarnish that games good name - i thoroughly enjoyed that game after picking it up for 25 euro in gamestop - I accept that it is a bit buggy but the more recent patches have fixed most if not all issues. this game is an RPG and like most RPGs it is quite slow-moving it is most certainly NOT boring, it had what I will call an "epic" storyline which played out in several different and interesting ways depending on how you played (something few games have accomplished succesfully). Im assuming you didnt play it through to the end when u began to develop the strongest powers and collect the stronger weapons like the ability to vanish or turn your enemies against each other and against themselves - I would go as far as to call this game "a flawed masterpiece". For whatever reason you thought it was boring I can ssure that this game is definitly not "boring bollocks" I think you were expecting an action-packed gothic horror fps and got an interesting cross between GTA and Broken Sword.

This game had almost every type of gameplay which was utilised in a completely non-linear fashion to surprisingly good effect, from 3rd-person steath to FPS action depending on what you prefered you could play the game in only one way or mix and match styles. I was shocked to see that game mentioned in this topic and I compel anyone WITH TASTE to try it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Hercule wrote:
    NO, I will not allow you to tarnish that games good name - i thoroughly enjoyed that game after picking it up for 25 euro in gamestop - I accept that it is a bit buggy but the more recent patches have fixed most if not all issues. this game is an RPG and like most RPGs it is quite slow-moving it is most certainly NOT boring, it had what I will call an "epic" storyline which played out in several different and interesting ways depending on how you played (something few games have accomplished succesfully). Im assuming you didnt play it through to the end when u began to develop the strongest powers and collect the stronger weapons like the ability to vanish or turn your enemies against each other and against themselves - I would go as far as to call this game "a flawed masterpiece". For whatever reason you thought it was boring I can ssure that this game is definitly not "boring bollocks" I think you were expecting an action-packed gothic horror fps and got an interesting cross between GTA and Broken Sword.

This game had almost every type of gameplay which was utilised in a completely non-linear fashion to surprisingly good effect, from 3rd-person steath to FPS action depending on what you prefered you could play the game in only one way or mix and match styles. I was shocked to see that game mentioned in this topic and I compel anyone WITH TASTE to try it out.

Linear. Boring. bugged. Crap.
    got it for 15 euro, even then it still wasnt worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I picked it up for about €10 recently too...

I found it to be a bit on the dull side too... none of the characters struck me as being very interesting... I'll probably go back and give it another go at some stage though...

I'm currently playing Jade Empire... now that's a good RPG.

• Advertisement

Oh, I see the old "Repeating you past statment without any proof or actual point" trick

1. Linear? I defy you to tell me how exactly this game is linear? i think you just said that for the sake of disagreeing with me, its one of the LEAST LINEAR games ever made.

2. Boring? like I find certain things boring but others might find them interesting ? I think you fail to grasp that boredom is relative to the person playing the game not a general tag you can stick on a game. for example saying "Half life is an FPS" thats 100% true and acceptable but saying "nobody will find this interesting" thats just a dumbass assumption.

3. Bugged. I agree with bugged, in fact i agreed with bugged but as i also said that the patches fixed most if not all of the early release problems and thats a given with nearly all PC games.

4.Crap. Go find yourself an argument before you go around claiming that a certain game is crap. You have no points to back up what you are saying like i can say "X" is crap but im sure as hell gonna back it up with why .

if your gonna reply to this dont go again with nonsensical reiteration of statements that have no real meaning. Come to me with actual facts and then I might accept some of your points (then again ill propably just blow them out of the water as well)

Advertisement