Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bios Tweaking an Asus P4P800-E Deluxe Mobo socket 478 for max gaming performance

Options
  • 11-08-2005 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭

HI,

Anyone got any adice in tweaking the bios of an Asus P4P800-E Deluxe Mobo socket 478 please.

I use most of the time for gaming.

I got 2gb of PC3200 RAM
    P4 3.0 Oc 3.3

Hey, real Bman you got the same board you might have some good pointers!

Drapper

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

i have the same board (well its a p4p800 - no real difference with the P4P800-E Deluxe ) with my 3ghz prescott @ 4ghz on it. il check the bios settings wen i go home and let u know what way i have it set, i played around with settings for days on end and found the best ones

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

gline wrote:
    i have the same board (well its a p4p800 - no real difference with the P4P800-E Deluxe ) with my 3ghz prescott @ 4ghz on it. il check the bios settings wen i go home and let u know what way i have it set, i played around with settings for days on end and found the best ones

your a gentleman ! I got a p4 3.0 running very comfortably at 3.3 ! no hang no difference in temperature! (must be the 2 * 12cm fans and cpu fan)

thanks Gline

can u post some specs of your pc, cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

Getting a Deluxe in a week or so. Was recommended next to the P4P 800 so would appreciate tips. Only putting a 2.8 in it.

Nukem

Nukem wrote:
    Getting a Deluxe in a week or so. Was recommended next to the P4C 800 so would appreciate tips. Only putting a 2.8 in it.

Nukem

yeh the p4p800's are great for overclocking due to the ultra high fsb you can set it to

• Advertisement

gline wrote:
    can u post some specs of your pc, cheers

2 gb 3200 Ram
    BFG 6800 Ultra OC
    P3.0 Oc 3.3

Drapper wrote:
    2 gb 3200 Ram
    BFG 6800 Ultra OC
    P3.0 Oc 3.3

what brand ram and what timings?? and what cooling u using? im assuming some sort of air cooling ? yeh? is it a prescott chip or northwood?

Northwood
    Air Cooling
    200mhz SAmsung 3200 RAM

Drapper wrote:
    Northwood
    Air Cooling
    200mhz SAmsung 3200 RAM

ok cool. il check my settings tonight and see if theres anything youd need to check

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Drapper wrote:
    Northwood
    Air Cooling
    200mhz SAmsung 3200 RAM
    Hehe, you're being very tight with the info that gline would need to help you. Maybe a post about everything in your PC would help, something like my sig, but more detailed in terms of memory timings etc.

• Advertisement

WizZard wrote:
    Hehe, you're being very tight with the info that gline would need to help you. .

hehehe, i was thinking the same ;)

gline wrote:
    hehehe, i was thinking the same ;)

new to this thing mate :-)

here is a few shots.

BTW there are 4 sticks of the RAM listed :-)

Dude thats a P4C800 u have

P4C800E-Delux oppps yeah ! sorry ...........doh

Drapper wrote:
    P4C800E-Delux oppps yeah ! sorry ...........doh

no probs, i dont have one eof these boards unforyunatly, id say the bios could be a bit different on these, so youd be best to edit the title of the thread ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,469 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Drapper wrote:
    I got 2gb of PC3200 RAM

That will upset any o/c'ing ambitions you might have. On a Pentium 4 800FSB like you have, you need to have PC4000 memory to have a good go at an overclock. Tight timings are not important, and it is not a good idea to use a 3:2 divider (or any divider for that matter) like you are doing

Sell the ram, get some PC4000 CAS2.5 stuff and try again. Your mobo has the intel 875 chipset which is good for overclocking + your cpu should be good for a respectable overclock but it depends on luck as well. With a good case and aircooling you should get somewhere like 3.5-3.8GHz and this time real, as in 1:1 without divider!!

unkel wrote:
    That will upset any o/c'ing ambitions you might have. On a Pentium 4 800FSB like you have, you need to have PC4000 memory to have a good go at an overclock. Tight timings are not important, and it is not a good idea to use a 3:2 divider (or any divider for that matter) like you are doing

Sell the ram, get some PC4000 CAS2.5 stuff and try again. Your mobo has the intel 875 chipset which is good for overclocking + your cpu should be good for a respectable overclock but it depends on luck as well. With a good case and aircooling you should get somewhere like 3.5-3.8GHz and this time real, as in 1:1 without divider!!

hmm... not entirely true about running with a divider. I have mine running with a divider so that the memory is @ 400mhz 2-2-2-5 and runs @ 3.91ghz pure stable

gline wrote:
    hmm... not entirely true about running with a divider. I have mine running with a divider so that the memory is @ 400mhz 2-2-2-5 and runs @ 3.91ghz pure stable

Experiment for ya: lend some decent PC4000 CAS2.5 memory, overclock to the max but 1:1 and run a benchmark like superpi. I bet your score would be higher than in your current config!

It depends on a few factors as well though. One of them is that higher the speed of your P4C, the less important the speed of the memory is relatively

When the P4C was relatively newish ('03) there were many reports of people getting a 2.4Ghz to 3.6Ghz using overvoltable PC4000 CAS2.5 (the fastest available in the market at the time), so an overclock of 50% to 1200FSB ON AIR :eek:

unkel wrote:
    Experiment for ya: lend some decent PC4000 CAS2.5 memory, overclock to the max but 1:1 and run a benchmark like superpi. I bet your score would be higher than in your current config!

It depends on a few factors as well though. One of them is that higher the speed of your P4C, the less important the speed of the memory is relatively

When the P4C was relatively newish ('03) there were many reports of people getting a 2.4Ghz to 3.6Ghz using overvoltable PC4000 CAS2.5 (the fastest available in the market at the time), so an overclock of 50% to 1200FSB ON AIR :eek:

i dont think pc4000 mem would cover my fsb @ 1.1, fsb is 261, so ram would need to be capable of 522mhz. I dont know, i think this setup would be faster the way it is setup at d mo

gline wrote:
    i dont think pc4000 mem would cover my fsb @ 1.1, fsb is 261, so ram would need to be capable of 522mhz

Of course it would! That's only a 4% overclock on the RAM. I doubt you'd even need to raise the vdimm for that :)

A lot of decent PC4000 can be overvolted with the lifetime warranty still intact, so that's how those dudes got to 600Mhz on PC4000 RAM. Iirc they had to slghtly slacken the timings though

• Advertisement

unkel wrote:
    Of course it would! That's only a 4% overclock on the RAM. I doubt you'd even need to raise the vdimm for that :)

A lot of decent PC4000 can be overvolted with the lifetime warranty still intact, so that's how those dudes got to 600Mhz on PC4000 RAM. Iirc they had to slghtly slacken the timings though

thats only really in ocz stuff, not all type of ram will do this, no real need, running with a divider is fine when the timings are good

gline wrote:
    thats only really in ocz stuff, not all type of ram will do this, no real need, running with a divider is fine when the timings are good
    what make pc4000 RAM you guys recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭VeVeX

The P4C800ed is probably the most regarded 875 board for overclocking the s478 P4. The only other thats up there is the IC7-max range. The P4C800ed's only handicap is the vcore and vdimm droop. This can however be fixed with modifications.

'droop' - Basicly when you set the vcore in the bios the voltage will be fine while idle but it will drop (droop) alot when under load. This results in some BSOD and system restarts.

I have a P4C800ed and a 3ghz Northwood and I have it running at 3.6 (240x15 1.6v) 24/7 with no stability problems at all. Temps are 35-39 idle 47-50 load. The pc4000 GeIL Ultra Platinum that I also have is running under its rated speed at 240mhz or 480mhz DDR (2.5 4 4 7 @ 2.85v).

You should be able to get 3.5 - 3.6 without problems I reckon. I was a bit disapointed with mine hitting the wall at 3.6 regardless of what voltage I pump in. It all depends on how good your chip is.

Im getting the CT-479 adapter and a Pentium M 740 soon which overclocks a treat with the P4C.

Check this link out some good info on your board -

http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?t=108657

Excellent link that for that! what RAM you using?

VeVeX wrote:

sorry for the noob comment but the Board I have only supports up to 400mhz. Is there anything you could recommend?

Thats normal....

With your current overclock you have 220mhz FSB but are running a divider on your ram ie 3:2 . This is seriously restricting the memory bandwidth available to your CPU.

A better move would be setting the divider to 5:4 (333mhz in bios) resulting in your ram running at 175mhz with your current OC. With this setting you have the posibility of 3.6ghz with your ram running at roughly its rated 200mhz or 400mhz DDR.

Your motherboard btw will support much faster ram then 400mhz the question - is it needed? I would sugest pc 4000 or pc 4200 to be comfortable in your overclock. An idea would be to use the dividers and see how far you can push your cpu and then based on that info you can select suitable ram.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

Have a gig of that in my main rig and its good RAM. Pushed it a little but really dont need to at the mo i reckon its fast enough so might take it out and use it in the new build and whack a gig of Geil 3200 in the main one. Supposed to be good for overclocking high high

Nukem

gline wrote:
    thats only really in ocz stuff, not all type of ram will do this

Any cheap RAM will do a 4% overclock for free

As for the 600Mhz, yeah you surely need decent RAM for that as I stated that will allow you to overvolt within the warranty
    gline wrote:
    no real need, running with a divider is fine when the timings are good

Well it's your prerogative to not believe me :)
    VeVeX wrote:
    I have a P4C800ed and a 3ghz Northwood and I have it running at 3.6 (240x15 1.6v) 24/7 with no stability problems at all

The exact same settings I had in my previous rig. I was running Zalman 7000CU on the lowest setting, also all case fans bar one on the lowest setting. This was with a modded passive NB HS too :D

Got stability higher but needed more vcore and also needed to run case fans and cpu fan higher. Not worth it for the noise tbh. Oh and no, my temps weren't as good as yours obviously
    VeVeX wrote:
    An idea would be to use the dividers and see how far you can push your cpu and then based on that info you can select suitable ram.

Great idea. Should you be unlucky for some reason with cpu (or mobo) then there mightn't be a point in getting higher speed RAM

• Advertisement
Advertisement