Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MTB wheel advice

Options
  • 11-08-2005 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking for a new pair of wheels, or maybe I'm not. My current set are the stock wheels on an '04 Trek 4300 (Matrix 750 rims, Shimano RM40 R hub). I'm pretty heavy, ride aggressively and have done some loaded touring, resulting in going through about 15 spokes on the rear wheel at this point.

Cyclelogical recently rebuilt the rear wheel for ~40 EUR, apparently with stronger spokes, but after the rebuild I still have a nasty skip in the wheel. It's more noticeable at slower speed, where it almost jumps sideways. They said that to fix it would be costly, and that it wasn't dangerous or impairing the ride, so I could live with it.

I'm touring again in France at the start of September so I'm considering 2 options: 1) fly to France with the bike as-is, and purchase replacement wheels there, where it's cheaper, or 2) replace the rear now and the front later. I have a seriously limited budget at the moment due to moving house and upcoming tour, so that is a factor. City Cycyles in Fairview quoted ~160 for what he said were high-end rims, Deore hub and double-butted stainless steel spokes. As I'm getting to end-of-life on my Continental's sidewalls they need replacement too, so looking at ~200 (ouch). Think I'll see what "will do" that I can pick up in Decathlon in Paris.

Any comments?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

My preference after several wheelsets/rebuilds is for factory built wheels.

I've Mavic Crosslands which are the entry level versions of the famed Crossmax and have ridden them hard for the last year. They've had one tune-up at Cycleways. They're one chain reaction or you could try your luck on e-bay.

But, like everything else in MTB, different folks, different strokes.

Advertisement