Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ASL vs LGPL?

• 11-08-2005 12:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,043 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

Could anyone tell me which is safer to use in my project? A library that has the Apache Software Licence or the Lesser General Public Licence?

I want to use Woodstox StAX jars, but I'm worried about things like having to redistribute licences with the jars and stuff.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Define "safer". You'll have to add the license text with both, AFAIK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,043 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Well the licence is included in the jar itself so I think it's safe enough that way.

The program that utilises the jars could potentially become a small part of a commercial product so I was wondering could either licence have a problem with that. I know you're *allowed* use them, but some licences, eg: the XFree86 licence, require you to display the fact that you've used them in someplace prominent. And I'm no good with legaleese, so I wouldn't know whether the ASL or the LGPL is better in this regard.

For example, I think that the BSD licence is less restrictive than the GPL if you want to make commerical software from open-source.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

You may want to look at the BSD or Mozilla licenses; they're good for commercial use. Windows still uses bits of the BSD tcp stack, but doesn't go out of its way to tell you this on the box, for instance. (There is an acknoledgement somewhere).

Advertisement