Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hanging heavy mirror on an internal wall...

• 11-08-2005 12:36pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks.

Got a present of a wood frame guilded mirror which I'm hoping to hang in the gaff. Problem is the best wall for the mirror is an internal wall which doesn't feel too solid to knock. Possibly not plasterboard but certainly hollow sounding.

I realise without inspecting it no-one can tell me if it will hold a heavy mirror - I'm just wondering if there are any tips on how to hang heavy items on weaker walls.

The mirror has two loops on the back to hang it BTW.

Any thoughts appreciated!

:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Dan_B

Try and find the timber battons in the wall behind where you want to hang it and put your mountings into them.

Failing that, there are plasterboard screws you can buy specifically for this type of thing, B and Q do a huge selection of them.

I have used them to hang pictures, mirrors and curtain rails and have not had any problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,483 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Just to add one thing, most of these fixings have something on the packet that tells you what the maximum weight is that they can hold, so it may be worthwhile weighing it on the bathroom scales first to get an idea of how much it weighs before trekking off to the DIY store.

But agree with previous poster that the best thing would be to try and find the battens first, either by tapping (you can hear the change in tone when you're over a batten), or you can get so-called stud detectors (that usually also detect water pipes and electrical wiring, so a handy thing to have anyway if you do a lot of DIY work around the house.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭Fingalian

'Possibly not plasterboard but certainly hollow sounding.'

hmm not sure what it could be then but if it is Plasterboard your best bet is to locate a Stud or Noggin ( Vertical and horizontal timbers or metal that the plasterboard is screwed/nailed onto) and bang in a nail or screw and hang the mirror off that. You can usually find a stud by tapping the wall and it where it sounds less hollow is the stud.

If the stud is in the 'wrong' place then you will have to use a special type of screw or bolt( there are lots of them for hanging stuff off plasterboard), your best bet is to go to a good hardware shop and tell them what you are trying to do. Good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭narommy

Or screw a batton horizontally between 2 studs and then you can hang it wher eyou want. Providing the mirrror is big enough to hided the full batton.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Guys those are great ideas - thanks!

I'll give the wall a proper inspection to see if I can find the studs/noggins, and failing that will pick up some plasterboard screws. I'll also weigh it to see if I need to screw another batton in behind the mirror.

CHEERS!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,237 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Hopefully you have a stud partition wall and not the other cardboard crap that I have. :(
    Best of luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Benster

I put up a couple of really big picture frames in our place using some B&Q Hollow Wall Fasteners, the metal ones. When you put them in and start twisting the screw, the legs open out and grip the wall from behind. Really strong, I've even put up poles for heavy curtains using them.

Cheers,

B.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Cheers again guys.
    Benster I'll keep an eye for those Hollow Wall Fasteners.

Hopefully the guys in Woodies know half of what you all do... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

You can get a gadget that can be used to tell where the timber is behind the wall. Think they can be used for determining if theres pipes or wiring behind the wall aswell. I've never used them but will probably pick one up as I will be hanging loads of shelves soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭ismynametoolong

FrankGrimes ! I thought you were dead ! DOH !!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 e.hartery

prob too late by now.

u should use a fixing called a hollow wall anchor which spreads the load at the back of the plasterboard.
    the anchor is fixed using a special gun. medium load bearing anchor but plumbers use them to fix rads to plasterboard.

gun approx 10 -15 plus vat
    anchors to suit anywhere from 20cent each to 60 cent each. depending where u buy them. such is price discrimination in ireland. more so down to if u buy them in a wholesaler per box or a handfull at a time.

alternatively u can buy a stud locator from most hardware outlets for about 35 euro, and fix using a no10 or 5mm spax x 40mm or other type chipboard woodscrew.

Harto snr
    (helpmebuildandrenovate.com)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 e.hartery

ha ha i should have read the full thread.
    the hollow wall anchors were already suggested.

use a 5 x 50 hollow wall anchor. ie 5mm bolt x 50mm long.

also dont suggest trying to use a screwdriver to fix as u will have some sore hand. better off to get the gun. also dont oversqueeze the gun, as the spring tends to break. when u feel resistence usually after 3/4 squeezes. stop and release the spring. easy peasy.

Harto snr

Advertisement