Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Djurgardens vs Cork City

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

This will be the seeded teams in the 1st round bar 1 or 2 suprises (there won't be any more than that after looking through the results in 1st legs of the CL and UC).

CSKA Moscow (TH)
    AS Roma
    Bayer Leverkusen
    Feyenoord
    VfB Stuttgart
    AJ Auxerre
    Galatasaray
    AEK Athens
    Hertha Berlin
    Besiktas
    AZ Alkmaar
    Seville
    Deportivo
    PAOK Thessaloniki
    Slavia Prague/Anderlecht
    Real Betis/Monaco
    FC Basel
    Wisla Kraków/Panathinaikos
    Middlesbrough
    Sporting Lisbon
    Espanyol
    Shakhtar Donetsk
    Austria Vienna
    Heerenveen
    Grazer AK
    CA Osasuna
    Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk
    Valencia
    Red Star Belgrade
    Everton
    Bolton Wanderers
    Sampdoria
    Lens
    Palermo
    Steaua Bucuresti
    Brøndby IF
    Racing Genk
    Maccabi Tel-Aviv
    Grasshopper-Club Zürich
    Zenit St. Petersburg

You'd be hoping for Brondby, Genk, Steaua ( :) ) or Grasshopper to get a realistic chance of getting to the group stages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

No doubt Steaua would be a decent draw, or Rosenborg if they drop down. I wouldn't say Cork could definitely beat them, but they would certinaly have a chance. They wouldn't make the farcical errors we made and are far better at keeping the ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭jubbly

Agreed with Slash there, I think CCFC can play the better football and keep posession so they should have a good chance if they face a weaker side.

Just glancing at the list and its really against the odds if CCFC will get through to the group stages, thats if the can overturn Djurngardens. If they do I think it will be great for the league. Shels have a good squad, its just that the players havent gelled yet and our defence is fragile. There is nothing stopping us doing well next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

gimmick wrote:
    ^ Im sure Damien Richardson will take that bit of advice. He may not have thought of it in the first place.

You seem to forget that Cork were lucky to come away with the 1-1 draw. Man of the match was the Cork keeper and he saved their skin several times. It could have been easily 2-1 or 3-1. Cork created very few chances and their goal was a good "wonder" goal.

If Cork can lift their game, if the crowd get behind them, which they surely will, then they have a fair chance of getting through. If Dju get an early goal, Cork will have to take the game to them. It wont be easy to score and there is a danger of Dju getting another one on the break.

So Cork have a slight advantage, but from the first leg it would seem that Dju have the better capability on the pitch.

In terms of the other issue of whether Cork's success in this competition would lead to a domination of the league, I think this would not be a bad thing. LOI needs a succesful club, and a new benchmark would catalyse the other teams into improving. I agree with you Gimmick in that its unlikely to happen.

Lets see if Cork get passed Dju ....

redspider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

redspider wrote:
    You seem to forget that Cork were lucky to come away with the 1-1 draw. Man of the match was the Cork keeper and he saved their skin several times. It could have been easily 2-1 or 3-1. Cork created very few chances and their goal was a good "wonder" goal.

You fail to mention Kearney had one taken off the line that looked a certain goal apparently.

Slash/ED wrote:
    You fail to mention Kearney had one taken off the line that looked a certain goal apparently.

I didnt see the full-game and I didnt keep notes of all the chances, nor did I record it on video and watch each incident in slow-mo 5 times, so I wont claim to be an expert on that particualr game.

But you will know whether the point I am making is valid or not, and that is that Dju probably deserved to win that match on the chances created. Sure, Cork created some too, and maybe a stat from the match might be something like:
    chances: Dju 7 Cork 3.

It was clear that the Cork keeper made some excellent saves which on another evening would have gone in. He deserved the MOTM by far and kept Cork in the tie.

Its Cork and Shels next, so good luck with that Slashed. I hope its a good game and an advertisement for LOI football. If Cork and Shels cant turn on the style and entertainment, then the LOI i in trouble. I'll be tuning in.

redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

Is this match on the telly??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭soma

here's to cork getting a 0-0 or 1-0 at home and then stuffing emmm... everton! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

redspider wrote:
    I didnt see the full-game and I didnt keep notes of all the chances, nor did I record it on video and watch each incident in slow-mo 5 times, so I wont claim to be an expert on that particualr game.

Well dont make invalid assertions on something you didnt see.

But you will know whether the point I am making is valid or not, and that is that Dju probably deserved to win that match on the chances created. Sure, Cork created some too, and maybe a stat from the match might be something like:
    chances: Dju 7 Cork 3.

Probably? Coulda woulda, shoulda? From what Ive been told is that it was a tight game, and City will not fear Dju next week. As for an above remark about a 'wonder goal' from Dju. In fact it was a deflected shot which trickled over the line after Mick Devine flapped at it. Citys goal on the other hand was well worked team goal.

• Advertisement

gimmick wrote:
    Well dont make invalid assertions on something you didnt see.
    Probably? Coulda woulda, shoulda? From what Ive been told is that it was a tight game, and City will not fear Dju next week. As for an above remark about a 'wonder goal' from Dju. In fact it was a deflected shot which trickled over the line after Mick Devine flapped at it. Citys goal on the other hand was well worked team goal.

I saw highlights of the game. I didnt watch the full game, or re-watch it to understand the salient points. It looks like you didnt watch it all (!!) so by your own argument, you shouldnt be commenting at all! Why dont you therefore just edit out and retract all your statements and do us all a favour !

If you read my post properly you would have seen that the wonder goal was from Cork! I put it in quotes to try to emphasise that it was not such a wonder goal, it was a good goal, but one in a game where they had few chances to score such goals. A good finish by Fenn.

You think City have nothing to fear, well, we'll see. The advantage is to Cork, but no-one thinks the tie is over, apart from you maybe, but then, maybe no-one is really listening to you.

redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

I dont think we should fear this crowd from Sweden at all. We limited them to half chances last week.

Last year we beat Malmo home and away.
    We beat Njemigen at home.
    For 75 mins we gave Nantes the scare of their lives only to concede late on.

We should respect every team, but fear is not an option.

Joe Gamble and George O'Callaghan will definately not feel inferior to them.

I hear there is going to be a special display organised. Hopefully we can create the same atmosphere as last night. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Keep it civil gents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

redspider wrote:
    I saw highlights of the game. I didnt watch the full game, or re-watch it to understand the salient points. It looks like you didnt watch it all (!!) so by your own argument, you shouldnt be commenting at all! Why dont you therefore just edit out and retract all your statements and do us all a favour !

If you read my post properly you would have seen that the wonder goal was from Cork! I put it in quotes to try to emphasise that it was not such a wonder goal, it was a good goal, but one in a game where they had few chances to score such goals. A good finish by Fenn.

You think City have nothing to fear, well, we'll see. The advantage is to Cork, but no-one thinks the tie is over, apart from you maybe, but then, maybe no-one is really listening to you.

redspider

Oooooh sarcasm. I never said the tie was over, far from it, only an idiot would think so. And, in my saying City have nothing to fear, well they dont? if you had ever actually seen them play, you wold realise that as well.

As for saying Citys goal was a breakaway and so on, well how many teams, big clubs like Liverpool, Juve etc have gone away to sit back, soak up pressure and hit on the counter? If, say Liverpool, did such versus Chelsea(as they did in the CL semi), you would say it was a professional job done. Why doesnt the same apply here for eL clubs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Because he doesn't know our players names :)

Advertisement