Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to get?!?

Options
  • 11-08-2005 4:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭

I'm in the market for some sort of entry level road bike. I have about €600 to spend. I've been looking at the following bikes.....

The dawes discovery 501, this is the one I'm no so sure of, it looks like a high spec hybrid but I'm able to get a good trade in on this bike. http://www.dawescycles.com/dawes/discovery501.htm

Next one is the Specialized Sirrus. I can't get a trade in on this bike as Cycleways don't trade in but its a very nice lookin bike http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=9617

Finally the Claud Butler Levante. Its a cool bike, nice to ride and I can get a really good trade in on it. http://www.falconcycles.co.uk/2005/cb/levante.html#

I need help choosing!!

I'm planning on cycling this bike to UCD so I'm seriously considering spraying it completely black.

Help please!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

I have a Dawes 401. It's a good bike but certainly not a road bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

i didn't think it was a road bike cuz I had go of the 201 I think it was and it was a hybrid. So what you think claud butler or specialized?

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

Looking at the specs, there doesn't seem to be much between them. I'd take a test ride of both and see which I prefer. They're both compact geometry - this is what you want?

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

they are what I want, I think I'll go for the specialized, nicer bike imo.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

they are all hybrids really, but the specialized and claude have the thinner wheels
    and road style brakes, can't go wrong with either of them but the specialized is
    know for being a classy bike.
    however the thieves also know this, the good thing about the claude is they went
    cheap on the decals and they are all ouside the laquer of the paint job so you could
    just peel them all off. most of the couriers in dublin seem to be riding the claudes, mostly with the decals off so you can't go far wrong with them either.

if the claude was much cheaper i would get it, if not get the specialized..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭happygoose

I'd pass on the commuter and get a road bike. Giant OCR2 perhaps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Dub_Guitarist

listen my old man owns one of irelands leading cycle shops

J.H.I Ltd

he builds bikes to ur budget

if u want a half decent frame and lower end components he'll do it or good components and not so good frame i dont mean there not good but not an upper end as u dont have funds he'l llook after u
    sells anything and is in business 20 years

Advertisement