Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cyclist crashes into my car

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ssh

Ooops, double post.... feel free to delete

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ssh

It sounds like you were in the wrong place - but that doesn't excuse him going into your side deliberately, assuming you were there for 10 seconds as you had previously said.

I'd imagine that falls under a failure to react to stationary hazards or something. It could have been just as feasible that you'd gone into the roundabout and your car cut out. At that point, it's his responsibility not to crash into you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭css

If it was me i'd instruct my insurance not to pay out, you are going to fight this claim, and get a good solicitor, also I'd not post any further details on the WWW regarding it. Seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭K2

do what mike said yesterday, make a clear and full statement to the cops, write to your insurance company explaining what happened and leave it at that. Sh!t happens thats why we all have insurance, nobody was hurt and there's little point in ruining your weekend over a claim that may or may not happen.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

You never know....

If the cyclist ran straight into the side of your car he obviously wasn't watching your exit.

Therefore he may believe (or at least argue) that you drove right out in front of him while he was on the roundabout.
    He won't have a clue how long you were there for.

The time you spent stationary watching his approach is your friend.

Also, could you have reversed back off the roundabout?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭landser

sounds like you pulled out in fromt of him, having misjudged his speed. the fact that he was doing 20mph is not negligent. you pulling out in front of him is. sounds like it's your fault

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

tbh after reading this stuff, I do have a few questions as this seems a bit weird.

you say that he was coming around the roundabout and you were half hanging out on it for 10 seconds??? man, be lucky a truck didn't come around it

you said he was 100 metres away when you saw him, where was that? was he already on the roundabout at this time? I don't know too many roundbouts tbh, but surely a hundred meters away, he must of been on your left side while coming around.

also, the stop area on a roundabout is roughly 3 metres into the road, so there was no way he would have run into you there, so I can only presume at this stage that you tried to take his right of way on it, and again, you were miles too far into the roundabout at that time imho.

and also, it just flashed by me, WHY DIDN'T YOU CALL THE GARDS??????? I mean, if it was his fault and all

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Geordie_Girl

Maybe the guy was just acting on the advice of his work colleagues who saw him missing a few days work and in great pain in the office and forking out a few quid for medical bills (not a lot) and maybe he only wants those costs covered cos some fool decides to pull out in front of him take his right of way and cut him off on a roundabout in Blanchardstown in a silver car.

Foolish to give out your mobile number after almost killing someone?

Maybe he was foolish not to call the cops on the spot and was in shock as the driver was.

Maybe it was the first time he was ever on the bike without a helmet through a complete fluke, I mean why bother with all the cyclist gear if you didn't have the basics, a helmet?

Maybe that's it, yes maybe.

It's a small old world.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Mareth wrote:
    Maybe he only wants those costs covered cos some fool decides to pull out in front of him take his right of way and cut him off on a roundabout in Blanchardstown in a silver car...

Maybe it was the first time he was ever on the bike without a helmet through a complete fluke, I mean why bother with all the cyclist gear if you didn't have the basics, a helmet?
    Maybe you should read the OP's post and take him as his word. He stated that he was stationary at a roundabout.

Since you've made the 'helmet' assumption about the cyclist, then I'll assume that maybe the OP was on his way to an orphanage to deliver toys.

It's a funny ol' world.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Geordie_Girl

Maybe you should read the OP's post and take him as his word. He stated that he was stationary at a roundabout.

Since you've made the 'helmet' assumption about the cyclist, then I'll assume that maybe the OP was on his way to an orphanage to deliver toys.

It's a funny ol' world.

Maybe I know the cyclist and was being sarcastic?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Mareth, if you do know a party to this incident please be careful what you say on a public archived forum.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

mike65 wrote:
    Mareth, if you do know a party to this incident please be careful what you say on a public archived forum.

Mike.

don't think it really matters in any case what mareth says n a public forum as the matter has nothing to do with him/her (you never know ;) )
    I am surprised though that the OP suddenly has stopped defending himself though in this matter to put himself in the right, something smells fishy

• Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

How did the cyclist hit the rear of you vehicle and shunt you if they hit from the side?

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭bbbbb

story doesn't add up, how can you be hit by a bicycle on a roundabout while you're waiting to enter and sustain damage on the passenger side?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm closing this thread, Mareths intervention (he clearly knows stuff) means this thread is no longer safe from being used to muddy the waters. With a chance of legal action pending I feel its better safe than sorry.

Mike.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement