Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phil Flynn Charged with Gun Possession

Options
  • 11-08-2005 6:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Ex provo, trade unionist and Government adviser Phil Flynn has unexpectedly become a casualty of the Northern bank raid, Garda have charged him with illegal possession of firearms comming out of the searches made in the wake of the raid.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2005/0811/flynnp.html

Not sure who'll shuffle uneasily in thier seats most at this news.

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

BBC Newsline has just reported that Flynn has claimed the gun is in the form of an antique pen. Fcuk him anyway, an illegaly held firearm is an illegaly held firearm and he, as an (ex?) SFIRA member should know this. I'd say he was sick when they found it. Fair play to the CAB boyos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭hawkmoon269

Mike65 as a matter of interest did you even read the entire story before you posted it?

I am no SF'er but I know a stitch-up when I see one

murphaph wrote:
    BBC Newsline has just reported that Flynn has claimed the gun is in the form of an antique pen. Fcuk him anyway, an illegaly held firearm is an illegaly held firearm and he, as an (ex?) SFIRA member should know this. I'd say he was sick when they found it. Fair play to the CAB boyos.

I'll tell you what, maybe we should just arrest anyone who has professed support for SF. :rolleyes:

mike65 wrote:
    Not sure who'll shuffle uneasily in thier seats most at this news.

I know who'll benefit electorally and that's SF.

The electorate ain't that stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I'll tell you what, maybe we should just arrest anyone who has professed support for SF. :rolleyes:
    Only if they're in illegal possession of guns. And if someone is in illegal possession of a gun they don't have to be a member of or a supporter of SF (or any other particular group, even Mammy Murphy's Tea Drinking Club) now do they?

So, humour me and let me know why you know this is a stitchup (not "how", I know there's no how, just "why").

• Advertisement

sceptre wrote:
    Only if they're in illegal possession of guns. And if someone is in illegal possession of a gun they don't have to be a member of or a supporter of SF (or any other particular group, even Mammy Murphy's Tea Drinking Club) now do they?

So, humour me and let me know why you know this is a stitchup (not "how", I know there's no how, just "why").

Have you read the full article yes or no?

It was a TOY PEN. AN EXECUTIVE TOY.

extract from [url]www.breakingnews.ie:-[/url]

"A Garda spokesman said Mr Flynn would appear in court on a minor charge. The firearm has been described as a “pen gun”. It is understood the gun can fire a small gas cannister and is an ornament."

Ok, Sceptre, I'll 'humour' you.

The man gets accused in the media of

1. Being involved in laundering millions of pounds in Northern Bank notes

2. Going to Bulgaria to try to buy a bank so that he can launder billions of IRA money

3. Being part of a conspiracy to set up a state within a state.

After 7 months of the most rigourous investigation by the Criminal Assets Bureau, with no doubt millions of pounds of taxpayers money spent, and thousands of hours of Garda time, they make the astonishing finding that he was in possesion of a "pen gun" and low calibre ammunition. These charges will be held in, wait for it, the Dublin District Court.

Given that the "gun" that was found is most likely of less danger than your average air gun, I have no doubt that the Judge will rule something to the effect of "Mr Flynn, aren't you a bit old for kiddies toys, heres the Probation Act, and stick €50 in the poor box, no you've a few bob, make it €100.

There will be no mention in the court of

1. Laundering money in Cork

2. Burning money in peoples back yards

3. Bank sales in Bulgaria

4. States within States

5. The fact that 7 months after the discovery of "alleged Northern Bank notes" not one pound has been proven by forensic testing, that the money actually came from any illegal source, never mind from the NBR.

6. The fact that our Gardai cannot make a definitive forensic decision on the notes 7 months on, but when £60,000 of Northern Bank notes were found in an RUC sports club, Hugh Orde was able to defiinitively say within 2 hours, they came from the bank raid, and they were planted.

7. Why 7 months of the most rigourous investigation, not one penny of the Northern Bank raid has been discovered. Not one penny out of what, £26,000,000. (Oh yeah, the RA burnt it all)

8. Not one person has been brought in for questioning after the second week of the investigation.

If this is the best the CAB can do after 7 months, there should be some of them sacked.

They have ruined the mans career, and over what? A pop gun, that he was probably given on some corporate shindig by some leading member of BOS.

Have you read the full article yes or no?

It was a TOY PEN. AN EXECUTIVE TOY.
    not that I enjoy being interrogated in capital letters for no particular reason but the article posted reads "The charges arose after detectives searched Mr Flynn's office in Dublin City Centre and found a pen gun and ammunition."

So, I'll have to go with yes. Not that you're being all that polite about it.

sceptre wrote:
    not that I enjoy being interrogated in capital letters for no particular reason but the article posted reads "The charges arose after detectives searched Mr Flynn's office in Dublin City Centre and found a pen gun and ammunition."

So, I'll have to go with yes. Not that you're being all that polite about it.

Poor diddums can't engage in robust debate?

You rather patronisingly asked me to 'humour' you.

So spare me the faux indignation.

Oh I see you added rather a lot of content to your post.

The two articles contradict each other obviously. One is misleading. Obviously I read the first one and as I've pointed out above, you're being pretty rude about it.

Nevertheless, I'll humour you and point out that what you've posted as a (possible) reason for the alleged stitchup is that and nothing more - a possible reason for an alleged stitchup. An allegation made by you, I might add so apart from lots of conjecture (which incidentally is only evidence in the mind of Lionel Hutz from The Simpsons) you've given me nothing. You've knocked out a list of reasons why you think the police and/or government would like to stitch him up (in your opinion), you've got a nice rant in there about public allegations and lack of formal charges, a tagline at the end about his life being ruined and while that's fine and dandy, you've steadfastly avoided answering the question about why you know (your word, not mine) it was a stitchup.

Poor diddums can't engage in robust debate?
    Nice. If you'd tossed that at anyone else you'd have been banned by me for it.

Your post above doesn't contain much honest debate, as I've pointed out. You didn't bother addressing my question but still took a few hundred words to go off on a rant and avoid it. That wastes my time. Address the question or don't bother replying to my posts while pretending you did.

• Advertisement

sceptre wrote:
    Oh I see you added rather a lot of content to your post.

The two articles contradict each other obviously. One is misleading. Obviously I read the first one and as I've pointed out above, you're being pretty rude about it.

Nevertheless, I'll humour you and point out that what you've posted as a (possible) reason for the alleged stitchup is that and nothing more - a possible reason for an alleged stitchup. An allegation made by you, I might add so apart from lots of conjecture (which incidentally is only evidence in the mind of Lionel Hutz from The Simpsons) you've given me nothing. You've knocked out a list of reasons why you think the police and/or government would like to stitch him up (in your opinion), you've got a nice rant in there about public allegations and lack of formal charges, a tagline at the end about his life being ruined and while that's fine and dandy, you've steadfastly avoided answering the question about why you know (your word, not mine) it was a stitchup.

Your post once again is laced with sarcasm and expressed in a patronising manner, as though in imitation of a university professor talking down to not-too-bright first year.

But apparently, I'm the one being 'rude' here.

Your post once again is laced with sarcasm and expressed in a patronising manner, as though in imitation of a university professor talking down to not-too-bright first year.
    Read it as a victim if you like. You've still got nothing but potentially unrelated conjecture & you're still avoiding the question posed.

sceptre wrote:
    Read it as a victim if you like. You've still got nothing but potentially unrelated conjecture.

It's difficult to debate with someone so trusting of our wonderful government.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

"I was caught out in a stupid knee-jerk reaction but I'm too stubborn to admit it so I'll keep trying to duck the subject I brought up."

oscarBravo wrote:
    "I was caught out in a stupid knee-jerk reaction but I'm too stubborn to admit it so I'll keep trying to duck the subject I brought up."

"I'm sticking with my buddy Sceptre. The government is always right. That stuff about the Donegal Gardai never happened."

sceptre wrote:
    You've still got nothing but potentially unrelated conjecture & you're still avoiding the question posed.

Didn't avoid anything dude. I provided plenty of analysis above.

What elements of it do you disagree with?

No idea where you got that notion. PM me examples if you like, it's nowt to do with the topic and it's pointless getting personal on my choice of trusted parties with nothing to back that up either.

Moving back to actual on-topic discussion, one of the articles referenced is misleading. The original article posted clearly states that a "pen gun and ammunition" was found, which could reasonably be read as a gun that would fire ammunition as the word is commonly used. Hence it's a reasonable assumption, based on the wording, that what RTE reported was that it was a gun that could potentially fire bullets (though the latter word was obviously not used).

The second report mentions that the thing is an ornament that can fire gas cannisters and is an ornament. Assuming that this is prohibited under the relevant acts, it's then an offence but rather a minor one in that if this report is correct it's more deadly than a pea shooter but rather less so than a Luger.

I suppose we'll find out whether RTE managed to jump the gun or not tomorrow.

Incidentally, with moderator hat on, I obviously don't have a problem with a new thread started on the allegations made against Phil Flynn in connection with the bank robbery, other allegations or insinuations of "connections". It might (or might not) be an interesting thread if someone bothered to start one. Might be far more interesting than dropping conjecture into the thread about a gun or gas powered pea shooter found in his office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Interesting,

http://www.politics.ie/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7141

hawkmoon are you here under a diffeent name or did you just copy and paste?

As for the charge, well they decided it was worth pursuing maybe the "Powers That Be" reckon they could'nt get him on something better so this'll do for now?

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

mike65 wrote:
    Interesting,

http://www.politics.ie/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7141

hawkmoon are you here under a diffeent name or did you just copy and paste?
    :D It's a small cyberworld! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭foxybrowne

Its seems that Mr. Mitchell McEunas, the M.P. for Grimloch and Scraggs, was arrested on a similiar charge some time back, and that was also an executive pen case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

It does sounds a bit daft, but it's perfectly legal - those kind of bb gun toys are legally firearms in Ireland, every bit as much as a 9mm pistol would be, and need a license in exactly the same way.

BTW, are they sure it's a gas-powered BB gun in the shape of a pen and not one of these?
    adc2.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Gas powered weapons or Air power wepaons are 'firearms' in Ireland.

CS gas cans are included in the UK firearm act . I know one Irishwoman caught in Heathrow with her (legal in the US) mace can 20 years ago who used to get grief every time she entered the UK for years and yeares afterward, her being Irish with 'previous' it was no surprise .

I would personally consider a firearm to be something that makes a noise and generates heat as it ejects a projectile at a considerable velocity and where the projectile is capable of penetrating skin at 20m .

otherwise they are calling a pellet gun of some sort a firearm because it comes under the firearm act. Its not a ****ing firearm in my book.

Had it been a Glock with a large clip and some high velocity 9mm dum dums I'd say it was a "fair Cop" Phil :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Mike65 as a matter of interest did you even read the entire story before you posted it?

I am no SF'er but I know a stitch-up when I see one

Are you saying the Gardi planted a gas powered gun in his office to stitch him up?? On a minor fire-arms charge? He will probably get off with a fine ... hardly Donegal all over again :rolleyes:

The police were searching his office and found something that is illegal to own, and they charged him with possessing it, which is exactly what they are supposed to do. It isn't a major offense or anything, but the Guards have a job to do, and they did it.

What people should really be interested in is why they were searching his offices. From RTE ..
    Mr Flynn has been under investigation by the CAB since it emerged that he had travelled to Bulgaria with the principal figure in the company at the centre of the garda investigation into money-laundering in the republican movement.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Wicknight wrote:
    What people should really be interested in is why they were searching his offices.
    But dontcha know the Northern Bank job was orchestrated by the Dirty Tricks(TM) department of the PSNI just so the Gardaí could stitch up honest, hardworking Republicans for laundering money that was planted (for reasons that are not yet clear) in a PSNI toilet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Sparks wrote:
    BTW, are they sure it's a gas-powered BB gun in the shape of a pen and not one of these?
    <snip image>

The 'Pen Pistol' shown above is the only legal (depending on jurisdiction) weapon of this type that I know of. And it's only legal because it has to be folded into a 'pistol' shape before it can be fired. I don't see many Superintendents here licencing one of these.

Most pen guns are like this-
    pengun.jpg
    http://www.adrax.com/watsons/pengun.htm
    Many tens of thousands of these were dropped on occupied Europe during WW2, for the use of resistance forces.
    'James Bond' types allegedly use this sort of thing too. Allegedly.

More recently, the term 'pen gun' has become pretty much interchangeable with 'zip gun,' meaning a home-made, single shot, disguised/concealable weapon.
    More here.
    These are illegal pretty much everywhere.

Given the woeful lack of firearms knowledge in the media and the (probably deliberate) lack of detail in the Garda statement, who knows what sort of 'pen gun' this is. It could be anything from a handmade assassination tool to a biro with the insides removed for blowing spitballs across the office.
    I'm sure we'll get more detail in due course.

Anyhow, possession of an unlicensed firearm is a very serious offence here, and under Irish law the term 'firearm' includes air/gas guns, BB guns, and crossbows.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

I'm not seeing the controversy. The man is a criminal; he is in possesion of an unlicensed and possibly illegal weapon. Whether he was also involved in laundering money for terrorists is unresolved as yet, and not directly relevant.

rsynnott wrote:
    The man is a criminalQUOTE]

I wasn't aware of your appointment as judge and jury....many congratulations.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭NewDubliner

I wasn't aware of your appointment as judge and jury....many congratulations.....
    Speaking of which, if there's a jury trial, will it be held in Dublin? Might be difficult to make up a jury that doesn't include any civil servants whose jobs are being sent down the country....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Hmm, he was caught with an unlicensed and probably illegal weapon, possesion of which is a crime. Obviously he's a saint.

Advertisement