Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phil Flynn Charged with Gun Possession

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

On the broader issue it might be interesting to have a discussion on whether or not it is wise or proportionate to criminalise 'weapons' such as the one this man is alleged to have been in possession of. It strikes me as using a sledgehammer to crack a walnut.
    Do you happen to know for certain precisely what form of firearm this "pengun" was? And I don't mean, have you heard what the gardai have called it, I mean, do you know?

Because if not, this could (from the description) be anything up to and including a .32 calibre single-shot pistol, in effect. Which more than qualifies as a weapon.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

You're 'not insinuating anything' - hmmmm and then you go on to talk about an 'accusation of political bias against a public servant'. I am not sure if that was directed at me or A Dub in Glasgow, but I never made such an accusation. And re-reading A Dub in Glasgow's posts, he didn't directly do so either, he just posed the question.
    On the contrary, he said "...it seems this is just a political charge" and then went on to clarify that he meant that the decision to charge was politically motivated. Given that it's the DPP that made that decision, it seems to me that ADiG is accusing an independent public servant of political bias, and I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for evidence to support such a serious accusation.

You didn't directly make the accusation; you just pointed out instances of corruption in the Gardaí (who didn't make the decision to press charges in this case) and pointed to decisions by the DPP without specifying what you intended them to signify.
    Incidentally have you read the reports on Donegal Garda corruption like I suggested previously?
    I haven't had a chance. I'm well aware of the misdeeds of a number of members of the force. I'm curious as to how it relates to ADiG's accusations of political bias on the part of the DPP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

From RTE (http://www.rte.ie/news/2005/1216/flynnp.html)-
    [FONT=Arial, Verdana, Helvetica]Flynn to get probation over pen gun[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Verdana, Helvetica]

16 December 2005 12:01

[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Former Government adviser Phil Flynn has been told that he will have the Probation Act applied to him at Dublin District Court today.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]In court this morning he was ordered to pay €5,000 to charity by Judge Ann Ryan when he appeared on charges of possession a weapon and ammunition.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Judge Ryan said that if the money was lodged in court this afternoon the Probation Act would be applied.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The money will be paid to the Dublin-based Jesuit priest Fr Peter McVerry, who works with homeless boys.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Mr Flynn, who is 65 years old, appeared on charges of possession of a pen gun and two mini teargas canisters without a licence at his office in Harcourt Street, Dublin, on 17 February last.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Judge Ryan said that the court accepted that Mr Flynn had an unlawful gun and ammunition but that it had not been concealed and had been held for around 30 years.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]He had no previous conviction and a long history of service to the State.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The case will return to the court at 2pm.[/FONT]

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

sceptre wrote:
    The second report mentions that the thing is an ornament that can fire gas cannisters and is an ornament.

Well technically bullets use gas to propel themselves so, eh, "yaaaah" would be my response to the statement that it's an ornament that can fire "gas cannisters wink wink wink" ......

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I would also like to point out that I am not a SF supporter.

Funny how a right-wing libertarian sounds so similar to that they claim to despise. Flip sides anyone?

• Advertisement
Advertisement