Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for some lights

Options
  • 11-08-2005 7:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭

Im looking for a set of lights for my bike. Nothing seriously exspensive or amazing just some recommendations. Are the led ones any good? Or would i be better of going for some krypton/halogen ones? Any links would be appreciated. I want it to light my path not just flash. The rear doesnt matter so much as it just needs to flash and i have one that could do the job. Where is a decent place to get them, ebay?

Cheers for the help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Hey,

I've got a set of something like these. Their a bit more powerfull, one 10w and a 20w. The battery doesnt last much longer than 1hour on max, but their extremly powerfull.
    I got these in Hollingsworth in Templeogue (prob spelt wrong) about 1/2yrs ago.
    There were priced at €330, I got them for €210. Just dont crap around and tell em you got them somewhere else for a far better price, they will quickly bring the zero's off the price.

Best of luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chicken_food

http://www.cateye.com/uk/products/viewProductModels.php?catId=7&subCatId=2

i was thinking of something like these here.Not sure which one. Something for 20-30euros.Im just looking for somewhere that sells decent cheap bike products. Argos and hollingsworth stillorgan are pretty exspensive tbh. (i have seen the non cat eye ones on ebay for 35-50 delivered would it be worth my while?) The battery yoke is pretty heavy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Check out BikeDock.com and Chain Reaction Cycles: (front lights) and (rear lights).

The CatEye TL-LD1000 sounds good though a little on the pricey side at e43.
    I use an old Specialized flashing LED rear light with a nice annoying sequence.

For the front light I have the CatEye HL EL200 for e29.

I supplement these lights with small LEDs that stick onto my helmet, in the rear vents, and yellow reflective ankle wraps with LEDs built in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭randomname2005

I use the Smart Polaris BL-116 Triple Beam on the chain reaction site. Its very good, very bright with new batteries and more than adequate when the batteries have been used a while. It also has a nice feature where you have to press and hold the on/off button for a few seconds - if you have to carry your lights in a jacket pocket during the day this is very handy!

If you are travelling on well lit roads then you shouldnt need to be spending more than €20 on a light imho
    R

[Edit] Although if i was looking for a new commuting light I would probably look at getting this one (also from chainreationcycles.com)
    Electron Extreme Micro 9 LED [/Edit]

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

I'm looking for lights too. I wonder if any of the lower priced ones will work properly if rechargeable batteries are substituted for the standard ones?
    I've tried rechargeables in torches before and voltage seems to be too low to give a good beam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭robfitz

I've been very happy after getting a CatEye TL-AU100BS rear light, it finally make my bike road legal because it has rear reflector and large strap which goes around my seatpost.

My current front light is a CatEye HL-EL560BS. I had a CatEye ABS-10 before the battery pack was stolen, it was really bright which was nice on some of the roads I traveled on.

If your using rechargeable batteries carry a spare set or make sure to charge them up regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭randomname2005

I use rechargable batteries all the time in both front and rear lights. Its just a matter of looking at them when you get home every night, which you would probably do when turning them off, and seeing how bright they are.

They save a fortune in batteries especially if you go for a halogen type light which will use batteries very quickly.

Advertisement