Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Testament

Options
  • 11-08-2005 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭

I have always heard these mentioned along with Slayer,Metallica,Megadeth etc.So i was thinking of getting a cd and giving them a listen.
    And heres the big question........Which album do i get?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

They have a "best of" album. Signs of Chaos.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭neGev

All their albums are pretty great. I'd say The Legacy, The New Order and Low would be among their best, but it's damn hard to say.
    They re-recorded a lot of the best songs in 2001 for First Strike Still Deadly, which is great too.

Fantastic band, and not nearly as well-known as they should be.
    Just buy the entire damn discography!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Pinhead

The Legacy is all you really need. The New Order if you insist on another. When they were great, Testament were REALLY great. But when they were bad..

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Absolutely savage band. The Legacy is a great great album.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Kilgore-Trout

The Legacy is an essential thrash metal album!
    practice what you preach is also worth getting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Beekay wrote:
    I have always heard these mentioned along with Slayer,Metallica,Megadeth etc.So i was thinking of getting a cd and giving them a listen.
    And heres the big question........Which album do i get?
    Legends, absolute legends. If you listened to their early and recent albums you wouldn't think you were listening to the same band, they really changed from thrash to just....heavy. Chuck Billy is one of the greatest vocalists in metal.
    They have a good few "Best of's" that you could check out. The first album I got was actually 'The Very Best of Testament', there began my journey to scouring the country finding all their albums.
    But I'd recommend one of their latest releases, 'Days of Darkness.' It's a double cd, one which has all the modern Testament songs and the other has re-recordings of their classics. Good buy.

Actually, while we're on the subject, is there any word of a new album from Testament?
    I know Chuck Billy had some form of cancer, but I think he got through that ok, didn't he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭Geiger

Practice What you Preach is a great album to get started with. The Ritual is their best selling (I think) but if its speed and heavyness you're after then check out the earlier stuff. Great band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭Geranium

I'd say that the best of is probably the one to get, it has a good enough flow for a compilation and it just has excellent tracks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

neGev wrote:
    Actually, while we're on the subject, is there any word of a new album from Testament?
    I know Chuck Billy had some form of cancer, but I think he got through that ok, didn't he?
    Yep, he had throat cance, I believe but thankfully was given the all-clear last year. As for a new album, it's hard to say. The reunion thing is still in full swing, is it not? They need a new lead guitarist (Steve Smyth is now in Nevermore) and I don't know if Johnny Tempesta is full time with the band, so they may need a drummer too before they can out out any new stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Doctor J wrote:
    Yep, he had throat cance, I believe but thankfully was given the all-clear last year. As for a new album, it's hard to say. The reunion thing is still in full swing, is it not? They need a new lead guitarist (Steve Smyth is now in Nevermore) and I don't know if Johnny Tempesta is full time with the band, so they may need a drummer too before they can out out any new stuff.
    I think they're still doing the reunion tour alright. Thankfully Chuch has recovered from his throat cancer, I'd love to see a new album.

*shrug*

The current lineup I see on a certain other site is this:

Vocals: Chuck Billy [1986-]
    Guitars: Eric Peterson [1983-]
    Guitars: Mike Chlasciak [2004-]
    Bass: Steve DiGiorgio [1998-]
    Drums: Paul Bostaph [1992-1993, 2004-]

Athough I thought Bostaph was definately playing with Exodus now....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Spoderman

Well that can't be right because the whole thing about the reunion tour was that Alex Skolnick (spelling?) was back with them

Personally, I'd recommend Souls Of Black

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

And Greg Christian on bass and Louie Clemente on drums (with Johnny Tempesta doing the hard ones because Louie hasn't played in 10 years). Like the Anthrax reunion though, no-one knows how long it's going to go on for.

Steve DiGiorgio is currently playing in Sebastian Bach's band at the moment too :eek:

Advertisement