Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

this is making me smile :)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Buy Games TM instead. They aren't pretentious **** and aren't afraid to say they are wrong. Oh how I miss the toilet/student humour of old future publishing mags like Superplay, Sega Power, old Gamesmaster, old PCGamer and (god I've been playing games too long), Commodore Format and Zapp 64.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

bought gamestm once,
    and would never touch it again.

sorry,
    i really couldnt read it at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

best games mag was the old n-force magazine, where it even had cartoon characters reviewing the games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Dagnir Glaurung

Haven't bought the last few issues of Edge. It's really gone downhill in the last year or so. As for GamesTM, last time I bought it they seemed to be of the 'waffle about unrelated trivia to make us sound learned' school of journalism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Buy Games TM instead. They aren't pretentious **** and aren't afraid to say they are wrong. Oh how I miss the toilet/student humour of old future publishing mags like Superplay, Sega Power, old Gamesmaster, old PCGamer and (god I've been playing games too long), Commodore Format and Zapp 64.

Ah Sega Power was the best, I used to love reading that one, every single screenshot had an admirably decent attempt at humour....classic letters page as well...think I still have an issue of that from back in 96.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Ah Sega Power was the best, I used to love reading that one, every single screenshot had an admirably decent attempt at humour....classic letters page as well...think I still have an issue of that from back in 96.

I could never forget the chimp count at the back of each issue with a chimps face for each mention of the word chimp.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

That music is so jolly, like nursery rhymes or something... im loving the kazoo in the title music

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

i buy games tm but tbh they can be off a lot. like they gave boiling point a 9/10 while edge and everyone else gave it a 2 or near enough. some guy wrote in sayin it doesnt matter how powerful your pc is it isnt possible to make that game run proper cause it is bugged to shít. they argued well maybe our pc is more powerful than edge's. i mean its like they didnt even read your mans letter. and I think both magazines are a llittle bit over the top with their criticisms and make any little thing into a flaw. a

and I never readthe retro section cause I couldnt give a crap about the spectrum and how it's better than the commodore and the other yoke.

edit: something on topic. The music is trippy man! lol

well at least you guys listened to the music ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Fuck GamesTM. Written by halfwits whose opinion I just can't respect, no matter how hard I try. Edge still continues to blow me away with its writing, every issue. This month's review of World of Warcraft contained the line "It's a game designed to exhaust the world's supply of adjectives" which is likely the most perfect summary of that game I've ever read.

Recently, I've also taken to reading Game Informer. And Tower occasionally stock a magazine (whose name I can't remember) that deals with video games and anime in equal portions. I'll dig out the name when I get home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

evad_lhorg wrote:
    i buy games tm but tbh they can be off a lot. like they gave boiling point a 9/10 while edge and everyone else gave it a 2 or near enough.

Good game tho , ran fine on my pc.

kdjac

thank you everyone,
    for staying so far on topic :D

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

Im gonna agree with retr0gamer, GamesTM is top of the bunch for its writing and exclusives - the best retro section in any magazine (even the retro magazine which i find a bit dull)and always has a really good 4-page feature on the games industry every month - you may not get stickers and posters but that kinda stuff is a bit childish anyway - I used to buy CVG until they stop distributing Ireland as they always seemed to have all the newest stuff first - eventually after a change in management the magazine got to the stage where it was about 50-50 ads to articles and that really annoyed me. If you only own one games machine tho you are best to buy the respective magazines for each machine like for PCs i recommend either PC Zone or PC gamer and for PS2 id say you should stick with the (slightly trite) Official PS2 magazine. If you are a big import gamer id also recommend getting Newtype USA its mostly anime and manga but it does have a big enough section for games, it is imported and sold only in Forbidden Planet - as far as i know)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Regarding the original thread title, yes the whole album is fantastic, have it up full blast in the car, pretty sure I will be locked up by neighbours and work colleagues any day now.

Regarding this recurring debate about Edge and Gamestm, could we please change the record, this has been trudged over time and time again, example of debate so far...

"I love GamesTM, Edge sucks"
    "I love Edge, GamesTM sucks"
    "Then you suck!"
    "No, you suck, and smell of soup!"

and so on.

Buy the magazine you like, and I will buy the one I like, we may meet and we can swap and read each others magazines, who F**King cares what you read!

For the record I read Edge, it hasn't yet made me a better worker, husband or even gamer, pretty sure GamesTM wouldn't do that either.

And I did try GamesTM once, man it sucked!

CiDeRmAn wrote:
    who F**King cares what you read!
    I care.
    How else am I supposed to justify looking down my nose at everyone?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

You must read Edge too so, its nice to look down on the little folk, the ignorant masses!
    Edge only makes you feel ignorant because it actually does know more about games than we do, and there is no shame in that at all.

God didn't C+VG get crap after the 80s?
    I remember it being a really good mag back then, 86/87 kinda period, and since then rubbish, best magazines ever were Super Play, Crash and Your Sinclair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

CiDeRmAn wrote:
    "I love GamesTM, Edge sucks"
    "I love Edge, GamesTM sucks"
    "Then you suck!"
    "No, you suck, and smell of soup!"

now children, everyone knows that Gamezone on Aertel is the best videogames magazine of all time.

Anything else is simply heresy....

Well it's the retro section that I really like in GamesTM. They do make an awful lot of silly mistakes though. I'm not a retro gaming information source but some of the silly comments they make and printing the wrong release dates for old games are really amateuristic. But as long as they recommending saturn games I'm happy. I find Edge too pretentious.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

now children, everyone knows that Gamezone on Aertel is the best videogames magazine of all time.
    lol, the gamezone on aertel pwnz0rz nubs! its updated MONTHLY!-ish
    God didn't C+VG get crap after the 80s?
    yes, CVG was dire until around 2000 when they re-released it and basically kicked all the eejits and old farts out and brought in a hyperactive bunch of new people who managed to be both bitingly sarcastic and excellent reviewers - I never disagreed with a single review in that mag and still go to the website often to check up on really up-to-date games news.
    Well it's the retro section that I really like in GamesTM. They do make an awful lot of silly mistakes though
    yeah, every week there is a huge letter from some troll saying something like I think in issue 32 paragraph 4 line 6 you wrote X's name wrong it shud be Y and arent i great for taking time out of my life to write this and prove my dorkiness.

Well it's not the typo's it's the stupid obvious copy and paste mistakes they make like how every Saturn game for months was released in 1989.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Oh, I remember the hyperactivity of the CVG well... in my nightmares...
    before that, I used to read--well, nothing at all really (unless you count 3hrs per week in stores in Munich, reading about games I couldn't play...)

Switched to EDGE on some recommendation from I-don't-know-where.
    Haven't looked back since. And they helped me get my job!! :cool:

Except they've started going up the hype-tunnel a bit of late, but oh well, I guess even they've got to get giddy sometimes ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dearg_doom

ObeyGiant wrote:
    This month's review of World of Warcraft contained the line "It's a game designed to exhaust the world's supply of adjectives" which is likely the most perfect summary of that game I've ever read.

I'm sorry mate, but that is THE most pretentious line I've read in a while. WTF has a line like that got to do with a games review?? This NGJ shiote is really pissing me off at this stage:(

Christ, WTF does that line even mean anyway? That the games is designed really well? That the designers tried to design a really great game? Well surely every games designer tries to do that, I'm sure when the FIFA devs sit down to start their latest the uppermost thing in their heads is to design the game really well... whether they achieve it or not is a matter of opinion I guess.

That line sounds like it was
    ObeyGiant wrote:
    Written by halfwits whose opinion I just can't respect, no matter how hard I try.

Jesus games writing is ****ing dire these days, EDGE died long ago in my eyes, GamesTM has bee **** for ages, PCG went waaay down in quality AND relevance in just a few short painful months... and when did CV+G become good? I must pick it up(or read it in Eason's;)) cos the last time I checked(about 8years ago admittedly) it was worse than that GM mag.

Online is the ONLY place for games opinion these days(and I'm NOT talking about gamesquarter:rolleyes:) places like Guardian consolevania and various forums especially are much better fountains of gaming knowledge than any mag ever was(except those mags RetrO mentioned earlier PLUS Arcade)

AND DON'T GET ME STARTED ON 'OFFICIAL' MAGS...

It's so sad though 'cos I remember having a lot of fun with games mags back in the day. They were so glossy and shiny too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Want a good teletext game site? Try gamecentral, pg 375-379 of channel 4 text. It's updated every day, cept Sundays, and is written by people who really love games. They're a sarcastic bunch, which is great, and they've taken to writing entire reviews in sarcasam by Nigel Hundrum, the world's most boring gamer. He gave Charlie and the Chocolate Factory a deserved 11/10.

100 times better than that aertal crap.

dearg_doom wrote:
    I'm sorry mate, but that is THE most pretentious line I've read in a while.
    There's a difference between eloquence and pretension. I think a lot of boards'ers would do well to learn it.

As for what it means, I'm gonna leave that for you.
    dearg_doom wrote:
    Online is the ONLY place for games opinion these days
    Online is certainly the best place to get the latest news. I think most magazines have had to get used to not being the source of news to most people. However, magazines are still the best source for opinion-pieces. In spite of the appalling QA in most magazines, they're still better written than the majority of game sites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Want a good teletext game site? Try gamecentral, pg 375-379 of channel 4 text. It's updated every day, cept Sundays, and is written by people who really love games. They're a sarcastic bunch, which is great, and they've taken to writing entire reviews in sarcasam by Nigel Hundrum, the world's most boring gamer. He gave Charlie and the Chocolate Factory a deserved 11/10.

100 times better than that aertal crap.

Old skool digitiser was better, but any place that has that much love for transformers acutmatically gets +10 points in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Well, considering I've been reading EDGE since issue 20-odd (and had to catch'em all :D back to #01) and still read it today, considering I've also grabbed GamesTM every now and then (rather less lately) and, back in the day, Arcade (was that ever released in Ireland?)... I'd venture that they cater to totally different readerships.

EDGE is elitist, no doubt, and also sometimes a bit too friendly with -alternatively- Sony, MS, Ninty (and Sega back in the day)... but that never lasts long (essentially, until the next-best-thing shows up) and a sh*te game will get a sh*te score. Having the full collection and pulling really old ones from the shelves from time to time, it's interesting to note how the mag' has evolved: they used to review SGi boxes, FFS! One constant, though - quality.

GamesTM tries to hard to do what Arcade did best until it was canned: a true multi-format (are you reading this, EDGE? as in, also including SP and older gens), that's more 'accessible and fun' than EDGE, with no particular emphasis on exclusives or toilet humour, but with informative (and light) articles spanning a fairly wide scope of industry interests/topics. Jack of all trades, master of none, the ideal read between buses, with lunchbite-sized articles and reviews.

They really do not compare with one another. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I tend to buy EDGE every month, because despite what misgivings I may have, it's still bang on the money more often than most. And Mr. Biffo's column is worth the €7 alone. For those who dislike EDGE, pick up an old copy and thumb through it. It might amaze you that what struck you as typical controversy-for-the-sake-of-it review scores are actually quite justified in hindsight.

GamesTM can be good, but it can be a bit dumbed down. EDGE may be prententious, but I'd take it ahead of a magazine plastered with box-outs and "Game X = Game Y + Game Z * explosions" charts. Still though, they've just got a new editor and whatnot in, so hopefully some of that may be cut out.

Someone mentioned Arcade. Arcade was a brilliant magazine while it lasted and managed to strike a great balance between being well-written, thought provoking and pretentious. It was the only real alternative to EDGE. Anyone know why it got canned and where the staff have moved on to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭TheAlmightyArse

As best I can remember, a sudden bout of market research turned Arcade into VideoGamer. It wasn't great, but the core staff were the same so the meat of the magazine (ie, the reviews) were still up to scratch. But giving the readers what they wanted or no, it was canned after a few issues.

Not sure what happened to the writers after that. Since most of them were pinched from sister mags like N64 Magazine anyway, I imagine they just moved onto other Future publications.

Speaking of N64 Magazine, remember that in the early, post-Super Play days? Man, that was something for a single format mag. Wil Overton was a minor celebrity back when I was a boy. And Mars bars were longer and all this was fields, too.

Anyone know who stuart campbell is writing for. He always cracked me up especially his reviewing style (0-10% if you will never or should never buy it, 90-100% if it was worth the time of day). Most magazines gave him the crap games to review since he really took them apart. He used to write for Amiga Format and Sega Zone. Last I saw he was on digitiser with a monthly column and had an emulators column on PCZone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Didn't he have a massive fall-out with Future Publishing? I don't think he's ever written for them since, though I suspect he may be behind a few RedEye columns in EDGE.

Advertisement