Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jetland

Options
  • 11-08-2005 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭

As a Galway city person myself i have to say i was pretty impressed with the amount of construction going on in limerick city especially with regards shopping facilities imparticularly the new jetland centre was just wondering what else is going in it besides another Dunnes stores..imho i think limerick needs a few better stores than dunnes the same thing is happening in galway were another two are being opened as well as a second m&s...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

As far as I know there are a few small shops, Dunnes Stores being the main tenant there.

There is also a new shopping centre being planned for the Ennis Road just off the Coonagh Roundabout before the Greenhills Hotel. I heard this is supposed to include a cinema but don't know if this is the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭spinalsly

Jammyd wrote:
    As a Galway city person myself i have to say i was pretty impressed with the amount of construction going on in limerick city especially with regards shopping facilities imparticularly the new jetland centre was just wondering what else is going in it besides another Dunnes stores..imho i think limerick needs a few better stores than dunnes the same thing is happening in galway were another two are being opened as well as a second m&s...

its dissapointing that we dont have a m&s in limerick,such a big chain like that should be here instead of opening up more dunnes like u said jammy. isnt there a rumour that there guna put in a m&s in the royal george site on o'connell street?

I think everytime a new development is started or large property changes hands in the city the rumour is that M&S are opening there. As soon as the Royal George Hotel was sold this was the case.

Not sure what the current policy is of M&S but the last I heard they were not doing too good on the profits front and were looking at cutting the number of branches they had not expanding, especially outside the UK but this may have changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭mimix

Aldi Has started construction in the the old Krups Site, Roxboro Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

spinalsly wrote:
    its dissapointing that we dont have a m&s in limerick,such a big chain like that should be here instead of opening up more dunnes like u said jammy. isnt there a rumour that there guna put in a m&s in the royal george site on o'connell street?

rumour has it that Marks and spenser is moving into what was once the royal george hotel. not sure how true this is though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

There certainly is a lot of building going on at the minute, but what exactly is going to fill all the units? By my reckoning there is the one project by the new Mollies, one on Bedford row, one in the George, one on Gerard Griffith St. The big unit at Taits sq looks good but is still empty, so can all these units be filled? These are all city centre developments, thats not including the 3 or 4 develops just outside the city boundary.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Jammyd

good point amazo limerick has most of the big stores already mainly located on the outskirts in the county area so it will be difficult to lease these city centre units due to the huge difference in rates + no offence to limerick city centre but its hardly a shopper friendly place like galway and cork city centre's

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I don't know, I mean I used to shop quite regularly in Limerick, and it's pretty easy to do so. Granted there's not the hugest range of shops, but everything's pretty close together and it's easy to get around. An M&S would be great though. Last year M&S did so badly that they were carried on the profits from their stores in Mary Street and Grafton Street in Dublin - not just here in Ireland but also in the UK. I think that's pretty impressive, and should give M&S an added incentive to increase the number of stores they have here. A new branch has just opened in Blackrock, yet if you're in Munster you have to go as far as Cork for a M&S - I think that's crap, frankly. Their food tastes good, their underwear is reasonably prices and they do some nice stuff, their clothes are of a much higher standard than that of Penneys or Dunnes. Limerick could do with a H&M too. But that's another story!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Very true Blush, Ireland is the only place they made a profit last year. Pretty sure there's one coming to Limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭grumpypaddy

there has been a marks and spencers "coming to limerick" for the last 20 years... beleive it when the shop opens!

• Advertisement

h&m are opening two new stores in the coming months there new henry street store and a store in limerick city(i think in the crescent expansion) galway's only an hour if your lookin for your nearest m&s

where did u hear this stuff about h&m. and what expansion aret hey doing onto the crescent i havent been out there in a few months!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Whats H&M excuse my ignorance.

its like one of the biggest fashion departments in the world.
    and ur ignorance is excused ;)

I think i read it in the sunday business post a few weeks ago that they are definitly opening in limerick in a few months contracts signed and all.

wow it would be good for the city and county if they opened up here! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

ill believe it when i see it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 your my lady

H&M are definetly coming to Limerick. They had a recruitment advert in the Limerick Leader a few weeks back. Does anyone know where exactly on Henry St are the propsing to open?

Also does anyone have any idea when the crescent units will be open?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 clubvinyl

apparently there's 27 units in the Jetland centre although some are Kiosks. BB's coffee are going in there, a music store (not sure which one) and yet another sports shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

H&M are definetly coming to Limerick. They had a recruitment advert in the Limerick Leader a few weeks back. Does anyone know where exactly on Henry St are the propsing to open?

Also does anyone have any idea when the crescent units will be open?

I don't know, maybe I'm confused in thinking you're confused, but it's Henry St. in Dublin they're opening on (Although I thought that it was on the Mary St. bit of the street). They're opening on two floors in the Ilac centre, almost right beside Roches.

I was a bit disappointed with their shop in Dundrum, but almost everything about the Dundrum shopping centre is disappointing. It's great to see the construction on the Jetland though. That Dunnes has looked a bit grotty since we went to SuperMacs as part of our school tour in primary school. I'm surprised I can remember back that far!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

When is the opening date, of this store.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭sioda

Marks and Spencers are not moving into the George its going back to being a hotel as they dont need planning permission. Rumours about that new shopping centre on Rutland and Patrick street are throwing about M&S as the main tenants. Personally I think that Dunnes should not be able to hold the main tenants in the 4 main shopping centres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

IF dunnes move il blow it up! jokes, It would be insulting to have another Dunnes wen they can't manage the ones they have not to mention the two stores they have in the city centre, any plans on the Rutland st dev

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭zachler

The new Jetland store opens on Tuesday September 20th - its open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Seem a bit much.

Dunnes Stores in the new Childer's Road Retail Park has been open 24 x 7 and it seems to be successful so far. Even late on a Saturday night there are still a good few cars outside.

the jetland opened today, anyone been there yet and if ye have whats it like?!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭zachler

I was in there Tuesday afternoon. Looks nice. Roomy too, compared to the little hutch that preceeded it. It reminds me a little of Superquinn out in Castletroy. I didn't realise they'd put an underground car park in there too.
    There's still a lot of landscaping work to be done and none of the smaller shop units have opened yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

I was down there tonight and coming from someone who live`s just across the road its great its a big big change for this sid of the town and am delighted with it.
    its real big and bright much much better then the park way.

ya i was in there today walking home from school, the place looks nice but it will be a better and more buzzing place when the units are filled up, hopefully some good chain stores will open up there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

Lifestyle, subway, BB's, a chemist (i think), Golden discs are rumoured to be going in but dont know how much of that is true

Advertisement