Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Come on BT follow their lead

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

It's not BT who has to lead but Eircom and they will NEVER do something like that unless they feel they have no choice. Forget it not for another 4 years at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭odie

There is no good reason why any ISP can't offer at least 8-10mb BB, It's common in most of europe and the far east.

But us paddy's here in the outer reaches of the northern hemisphere have to put up with the money grabbers we have for ISP's.

Sure, are they not even going back to the way it used to be with per megabyte charging for their cheapest products in some cases.

The government keeps going on about the progress made in the information age, and how they want Ireland to be the digital hub of europe, but they are stuck in 10th gear going uphill, it's like wading through treacle trying to convince them.

I suppose we will catch up around 2010. and that will bring us up to where the rest of the world is now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 eoinb

Is there any proposed timeline for the next bump in speed, or are eircom just saying-"it will happen when it happens".

I would especially like an increase in the upload speed-16kBps is a killer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

It's not BT who has to lead but Eircom and they will NEVER do something like that unless they feel they have no choice. Forget it not for another 4 years at least.

I guess we will have 8Mb/s or so sometime in 2008.....if eircom follow that doubling thing every year or two.

Oh the fun of having such slow speeds in Ireland....yippeeee!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭nellieswellies

odie wrote:
    There is no good reason why any ISP can't offer at least 8-10mb BB, It's common in most of europe and the far east.

Were running on ADSL1 which will only run up to 8Mb but the further from the exchange you are the less likely you are to get the full speed.

If we move over to ADSL 2 then things could pick up.....
    http://www.internode.on.net/adsl2/adsl2graph.htm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭irishshogun

The reason I said Bt and not eircom initially is because, as I'm sure we're all aware, there isn't a hope in hell of eircom being that progressive without some kind of regulatory kick up the arse. I mean I'm trying to get my head around per minute billing of broadband by them, for f*@*s sake its broadband, money grabbing ...you can fill in the rest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

odie wrote:

Eircom do their best not to allow people into their exchanges. This is why Smart are having such difficulty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭pugleon

Someone needs to step in with regards to caps. It is a bit of a crazy situation. We all understand the need to regulate usage, in that if everyone went crazy at the same time things would get congested. Acceptable usage policy's rather then actual caps. Or at least a damn good cap would be better. Even 24gb is a little thin, what if you have a lot to grab that month?

Really disappointed in comreg, so typical of this bloody country. You put a body in place to regulate, yet they can't regulate their own bowel movements because they are basically powerless. Or at least act like they are (I'm referring to all of the IBB posts as of late). Rip off republic, yis don't know the half of it! Spend a few weeks in any other built up European country. Make ya not want to come back...

Fact that no one bothers to even protest makes these guys jobs that much easier too...

Advertisement