Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DS or PSP

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Please Yawnstretch, elaborate, tell us why its so much better, aside from the specs, where in its current game releases does it show how utterly wonderful it is? Where does it sparkle? Even the best of the games, Ridge Racers is a title that could have just as easily appeared on the home consoles.
    The only game that will make me buy a psp again will be GT4 mobile, I figure jsudging by Sonys release dates I have between 12 and 18 months before I will have to dig deep again, probably pick one up for €150 second hand, together with a big mem stick.

And regarding the range of things a PSP can do, its a rubbich format for MP3, no harddrive, Its a rubbish format for video, no harddrive, there are other machines that do it better. Sure as a handheld games machine it seems to have all the bases covered but it feels far too fragile to be entrusted into the hands of your average sticky little 7 year old and so far the games are far too derivative for a 33 year old videogame veteran like me with rosetinted memories of the Vic20.
    The DS is a less powerful machine, not as pretty or shiny as the PSP but it is more robust, the games feature truly original features and gameplay elements, sure it won't make people go ohh and ahh on the train when you produce it but at the games will do that when they have a go.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

And Ambro25, if that is your real name!, I have pretty much broken that cycle, its only in the current series of handhelds that I was led astray. I should have an Xbox 360 a bit ahead of launch and have no intentions of selling it, PS3 will probably be Sept '06 and who knows about the Revolution and what Nintendo is doing so I don't think I wil be selling any home consoles again, learned my lesson years ago that your return just gets smaller and smaller, in selling first the DS and the the PSP I did make my money back so no loss incurred, then picked up a cheap DS once again. This ones a keeper.

Hey y'all hear Rare are to make DS games! Perfect Dark on the go anyone? Stick that up your ass PSP and smoke it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

lol why is it nintendo fanboys always go a bit too far, not everyone likes those sort of games, always seem like they think their elitist when talking about nintendo stuff and do their best to down everything else from reading various threads here (i play nintendo games so i'm a real gamer... ). If you done like it, you dont like it, just because thats the way u feel doesnt mean every other person will think the same. Ppl actually like games like Tiger Woods, Burnout, Pro Evolution, Football Manager, Fifa, Grand Theft Auto, Gran Turismo more than warioware 15 and mario 64 to the power of 72 ;) (no need to say those psp game are sequels too - im jk). And i dont think any fans of those psp games mentioned would enjoy playin them on the DS. Origianal poster, if you dont like ps2 'ish games and like warioware etc buy a ds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭glimmerman

I also have both, and they're both good for different things.

The last generation of PSP (firmware 1.50) is an excellent deal. The homebrew scene has exploded over the last 2 months, and there are now more emulators than you can shake your old SNES controller at (GBC, SNES, NeoGeoCD, PC Engine etcetcetc).

Emulation on the PSP is the way to go right now, as in my opinion there's not a lot of current games that are worthy of long term attention. Wipeout is entertaining (but bored me after a week or so) and lumines held my attention for about 2 days. Hopefully that will all change when GTA LCS is released, or maybe the Final Fantasy effort from sqenix will rivet my thumbs to it. In the meantime I'm all over emulated rpg's... (portable chrono trigger anyone?) :D
    Video capability is very good, and music... well, its ok, but its not a primary player cos its too big. Battery life is fine, not as long as the DS, but definitely enough to watch a few episodes of whatever, and play a bit too.
    Not sure what the avaialibility is of 1.50 PSP's anymore, but I am pretty sure that the european release of PSP will have firmware 2.0 (web browser :) and extra security so no homebrew til someone cracks it :( )

DS is great too. The games are really fun, and lots of stuff that interests me is just about to come out. I played with Electroplankton for about 2 weeks, its really completely different from anything else. Yoshi Touch and Go is great, Mario 64 is good value, controls are a bit weird tho. Apparently Kirby Canvas Curse is fantastic.
    Looking forward to import Advance Wars DS in the next few weeks, and I'll get Animal Crossing and Mario Kart when they come out too. Also bought a Play-Yan for it, to see how that worked. Its OK, not fantastic quality but good enough to watch a few episodes of southpark or robotech in bed.

Only problem I found with the homebrew scene is that as a modded xbox owner I have it all already, no need to use the PSP for that at all. I don't spend time on buses or trains so I am supposed to use my PSP at home, while the PS2 Xbox and GC sit quietly under the tv? I don't think so, as I said before I have similar titles or better already, I was just duplicating my games collection buying stuff for the PSP.
    As for Nintendo fanboys, well I think thats a crock, sure there are those out there who love machines for the badge on the outside instead of the software running on them but truthfully, of late, with the DS Nintendo took a bold step, producing what looks like an underpowered console but with a hardware feature unsurpassed in console gaming since the introduction of the Analog stick. And they produced games taking advantage of the new system perfectly, Yoshi Touch and Go, Wario Touched, just to name 2, soon to be joined by Meteos and Nintendogs.
    Psp titles just seemed like rehashes of all that went before, At this stage we expect more than that, if you are going to make something for your new console make it something to knock our socks off, Ridge Racers was the only title to really do that. Doubtless as the software matures we will see better and better games being released for the PSP but as yet there is nothing to make one run out and blow 250 bills on it. I would rather ignore the handheld scene and wait til 25th of November and the Xbox360, PGR3 here we come!

• Advertisement
Advertisement