Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSTN Phone in NY routed to Irish Number

• 11-08-2005 10:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭

A Chairde,

Have a problem , friend of mine is moving back from NY, but needs to maintain his telephone number , do you know how he can route / redirect calls from his NY Number to his Irish Phone ???

Has spoken to telco,s , and they cannot help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭aaronc

celt2005 wrote:
    A Chairde,

Have a problem , friend of mine is moving back from NY, but needs to maintain his telephone number , do you know how he can route / redirect calls from his NY Number to his Irish Phone ???

Has spoken to telco,s , and they cannot help.
    I can think of three ways he could do it:

1. Connect an ATA, such as the Sipura 3000, physically to the line in New York and send incoming calls from the PSTN to a SIP account that can in turn be forwarded to an Irish number (you'll pay for the call leg from the SIP provider to the Irish number),

2. Get a free New York number from stanaphone.com and get the original number redirected in New York to the stanaphone number. When someone rings the orignal New York number it will get forwarded to the stanaphone one which will then be routed to whatever SIP device you have logged in with stanaphone, I'm not sure if stanphone will do the forwarding for you?

3. A combination of 1 and 2. Find an ITSP that can give you a New York number and that will allow you to set up forwarding. In this case you don't need any ATAs or SIP configuration. The call to the original New York number will get forwarded to the one you have purchased from the ITSP who will forward calls directly to your Irish landline. Forwarded calls will cost you whatever the ITSP's Irish landline rates are.

Hth.

Aaron

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭WillieFlynn

Find a VoIP provider in the US which will allow him to port his NY number to them and then access it using an ATA/VoIP phone from here. This would be useful if he doesn't want to keep any hardware on a line over there.

This link has a list of quite a few US voip providers and will allow you compare what they offer
    http://voxilla.com/compare/compare.php?typeid=1&mode=type

William

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭celt2005

Nice One Aaron,Willie,

Will look into options, and get back to you with which suited.

Slan / Ed

Advertisement