Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Another beginner

• 12-08-2005 8:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭

I want to network my daughter's PC to mine so we can share the same printer and so she can connect to the internet. A wireless solution is desirable. I have IBB internet access which uses the single ethernet port on my PC. It uses a fixed IP address. My issue is that I don't know what equipment I should buy.

I have had a look at the Komplett site and they do a bundle http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=304347&cks=PLS which includes 3Com OC Wireless 11g Cable/DSL Gateway 802.11g 54 Mbps, WPA, WDS, Nitro and 3Com OC Wireless 11g Compact USB Adapter 54 Mbps 802.11g, WPA. Will this enable me share the internet connection? Would a need a second NIC for my PC? How do I go about setting up an IP address on the two PCs?

I would appreciate your advice on this please.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

Hi,

Ya you could buy that or something similar and it will do the job for you. Connect your IBB cable into the WAN port on the back of the 3Com box. Connect your PC to the 3Com using a Cat5 cable, and it will connect to your daughters PC wirelessly.

So to answer your questions,

Yes it will enable you to share an internet connection.

You will not need a 2nd NIC for your PC, unless you want your PC to connect wirelessly.

With regards the IP, the 3Com box (router) will assign IP addresses to the two computer.

It will allow you to share the printer, but the computer the printer is connected to will have to be turned on for the printer to work on the network. You could buy this and a wireless NIC http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=118092&cks=PRL . Your printer will then connect to that and can be used by your daughters PC wheter yours is turned on or not.

Hope This Helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

Two basic ways of doing it one

Buy two wireless nics set them up in Adhoc mode -
    the downside to this she will use whats it called ICS to connect to the net via your pc!

Second way,
    Buy a decent router something on the lines of a linksys and two wireless nics one for each puter -
    Setup a wireless network, connect your modem to the router set the router with the static ip adress and the modem in bridge mode,

The router will assign ip to who ever is allowed to connect to it and you both have your internet access through the router and your pc won't need to stay on the whole time,
    As for the printer map it to her pc - or get a print server and connect that the router, both of you will be able to use it wireless that way.

Thats the roughly the same setup as what i have - i just have a couple of servers and desktops and two laptops in my house.

as for kit
    HNics these are pretty decent Nics what i have
    Good Router The better router my one ;)

All my kit at home is linksys speedbooster version - speed normal wireless G - 54Mbps - Speedbooster tipping on 110Mbps.

Not very keen on the cnet hardware they are a bit of a pain, same for dlinks, Stay away from Belkin cheap nasty argoss kit..
    Smc are quite good,and linksys never had any problems with either of them.

Hope this help questions let me know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

Thanks a lot for your advice. I am going to look at what's available and make a purchase next week.

Advertisement