Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rigging yet another poll!

Options
  • 12-08-2005 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭

Vote for Cork in BBC Poll

The Noah's Ark-esque Glucksman Gallery in UCC has been nominated in the BBC's "Best Building of the Year" award because experts say that it's a daycint looking building and who are we to disagree.

Already working its way up the rankings to 1st place citizens and exiles of the People's Republic of Cork are being called on to ensure another BBC poll is hijacked so that a fair and credible result is achieved.

Click the link below and let all your friends know too!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4722143.stm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Done. The Glucksman is actually pretty damn nice, though I have a bad feeling that the timber cladding is going to look bad in a few years, but maybe it won't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dimitri

^^not if its well maintained and there is more hope of that happening in UCC than anywhere else in the city.
    Already working its way up the rankings to 1st place citizens and exiles of the People's Republic of Cork are being called on to ensure another BBC poll is hijacked so that a fair and credible result is achieved.
    Done :)

[Edit] Glucksman Gallery in UCC has taken the lead with 35.3% of the vote [/Edit]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭smileygal

Gave my vote and passed on word. Thanks - didn't know about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

yeah heard tis on 96fm yesterday morn, missed the link though.
    thanks!

done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Amnesiac_ie

Done and forwarded to most of my address book!

Up the rebels (said he in his green and gold jersey!)

The building itself has grown on me over the past year (I hated it when I first saw it) but the quality of the exhibitions has disappointed me so far.

I'm typing this from the new Health Sciences campus at Brookfield... now THIS is an ugly building and I can't see my opinion changing anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

40+% now... ;)

Brookfield is painful. The inside of the apartments have never sat well for me. Plastering anybody?

The new Health Scienes campus is next door. Brookfield Manor was a lovely old yellow brick house that some dude willed to UCC. UCC have tacked on three nasty wings to the building that look like something a three year old dreamed up.

I see the Gherkin is a previous winner of the award or "30 St. Mary Axe" as the BBc refer to it. When I worked in London, I think companies with offices in it used to refer to it as the Credit Suisse building. Great piece of architecture though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I love the gherkin, and the new city hall ("Red Ken's Building"). Was passing there one day after visiting the HMS Belfast and some folk were doing a live/puppet show in the little amphitheatre out front, kept us entertained for a good hour or so. I love that kind of unscheduled stuff, makes for the best days out.

Anyway, I visited the Glucksman today with a gaggle of nieces and nephews. Didn't like the Alice exhibit upstairs but the other one was pretty cool, and the interior of the building was very impressive. Love the lift. But in typical blond fashion I forgot to take a good look at the exterior, so now I have to go and do that another day. :)

Don't like that building under construction at all. Looks like birds pooped all over it.

EDIT: Meant to ask, who's Lewis Glucksman? I asked in the gallery but the girl in the shop just said he's the guy that paid for the gallery. Google returns lots of results about the gallery, but very little about the guy apart from the fact that he's a philanthropist (duh). Anyone know any more about the guy? Or the phone numbers of any of the girls that work there. Yum. :)

adam

• Advertisement
Advertisement