Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Content/Website Managment system

Options
  • 12-08-2005 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

hoping for some pointers,

Ok so client wants a website managment system. They want a search, Also they are looking to be accesabilty compliant. They also want stats for page impressions. They also want a wisiwig editor so they can publish pages themselves.

What im really asking i what is the best CMS to start from as a base so i can beat it into what i want. anyone got any experience of doing this. I have made one beforefrom scratch but it was a simple little back end for editing content.

Thanks,
    M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Making it yourself couldn't be recommended given the amount of solid CMS systems that are out there.

OpenSourceCMS contains ratings and the opportunity to try a particular installation out before going to the trouble of setting it up yourself. Limited to PHP/MySQL based systems though. Drupal and Mambo are the ones that seem to crop up a lot. Zope is one I've used before and it was alright - wasn't used in anger though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Mambo is the best one out there imo. I'm just finishing off a community site using it now - very powerfull and great backend too.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭P&L

No such thing as an accessibility compliant CMS, accessibility is a human thing (especially with a WYSIWYG). And they will need training if they want to produce Accessible content. What you can get though are a few CMS that produce valid XHTML, and that a good start...

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭ConsultClifford

axer wrote:
    Mambo is the best one out there imo. I'm just finishing off a community site using it now - very powerfull and great backend too.

ive used it alot also ..Mambo is very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭ChicoMendez

axer
    whats your site?

Chico

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

I've been impressed with PHP Fusion http://www.php-fusion.co.uk/news.php

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭reitoei

WordPress is a blogging tool that has all the features you're looking for in a small, easy to deploy, content management system.

http://wordpress.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭mjquinno

Thanks for the responses guys,

Ya the client is fairly adament about keeping it specific to w3c compliant. Thing is I want to keep it as simple as possible for the staff of the client. Any further comments or pointer more than welcome.

Thanks again,

M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

As a matter of interest. ANyone here much experience of templating Mambo from a custom design?
    Something like integrating this design http://www.spoiltchild.com/ in mambo?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Its not that hard to do. You need to setup module positions for each area that you want a block of information to appear and for each menu list. i.e. news. There is a dreamweaver extension that you can get to help you with this. Then use css to style the module. Probably the easiest way you coud do this is to get a free template that is relatively close to the layout of your design and work from there.

Advertisement