Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VPN question

Options
  • 12-08-2005 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    I think is the right place to be asking this. I have an issue here for the last week and its driving me nuts. VPN connection right. Now I want to remote desktop to a machine that is running a vpn client. The problem is that once the vpn connection is established the remoted desktop connection is severed. I believe the answer lies in split tunneling but I'm having no joy. Anyone have any ideas? I'm doing this over a lan.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Depends on the VPN client I think. It can be configured to disable all other network access once established, which sounds to me like what's happening. Same thing drove me insane. Had an ad-hoc network set up in a hotel, with IP printing. Worked fine and all until the machines connected home via VPN, they couldn't print anymore. Turned out the Cisco VPN client was configured to disable local network access once the VPN connection was established.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

Was that one the client side or the VPN server? Using Cisco here as well and I can't find find any options to allow local access.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

GreenHell wrote:
    Was that one the client side or the VPN server? Using Cisco here as well and I can't find find any options to allow local access.
    Tbh, I'm not entirely sure. All I know is that within the VPN profile in the client, there's a little tickbox for "Disable local network access". Whether this controls it, or there's an override on the server, I don't know.
    In my above case, someone else had already organised a bypass using a .net browser control to perform the VPN instead of using the Cisco client.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

Nice, XP can go to hell now I'm trying this out on linux. That checkbox is checked and I've tried to put in the routes for the local intranet and all that craic.

Advertisement