Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Removing window stickers

Options
  • 12-08-2005 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭

Has anyone any tips on removing a baked on Rathdown Motors sticker from my rear window. There is no way it will peel, I can't even raise a corner as it just flakes.

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

watch out when removing it cause it may remove some of your heater lines in your rear window, which will cause the heater to stop working. I've been told the only way to fix it is to get a new window

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Maplins sell a spray-on sticker remover that permeates through the sticker and dissolves the glue. Don't know how good it is, and it may not be good for plastic stickers.

Alternatively, use a stanley blade to remove the sticker (if it's not stuck on the heater lines as ando mentioned, of course). The best thing ever at getting rid of the gummy remains is nail polish remover. This technique is recommended for removal from glass only, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

When they're new(ish) a good blast with a hairdryer will help by softening the glue and making them easier to peel off. If it's an old one that's gone all crumbly and baked on, I can only suggest using a very sharp blade and scraping it off. If there are rear window heater elements in the way that could be very tricky though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

blastman wrote:
    The best thing ever at getting rid of the gummy remains is nail polish remover.
    Nail polish remover is Acetone with colourings added in. TBH, because acetone spilt on your skin soaks through into your blood and carries anything dissolved in it with it, IMHO you'd be better off with pure Acetone then the nail polish remover, and only use it as a last resourt. Love the way they sell it to young girls, when you in industry or a lab you wouldn't be allowed near it without PPE. (gloves n' stuff)

Iso propyl alcohol (Isopropanol) is a far gentler solvent (head cleaner) to try first, or you could try Ambersil foam cleaner - it's yer only man for paper labels, not sure how good it is on the plastic ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭K2

Funny you should say that, my wife usings it in the bedroom to remove nail polish and cannot understand why I get annoyed over the smell, AND she used to work in a lab!!wtf :eek:

Anyhow back on topic, heating the sticker up with a hairdryer should make it easier to remove. One of my pet hates, I always remove the stickers when I change cars.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 triclaw

Alun wrote:
    When they're new(ish) a good blast with a hairdryer will help by softening the glue and making them easier to peel off. If it's an old one that's gone all crumbly and baked on, I can only suggest using a very sharp blade and scraping it off. If there are rear window heater elements in the way that could be very tricky though.

I once had one of those stickers on my rear window. A haidryer did only half of the job, but my dad had the extreeme version of a hairdryer in his toolbox. the air out of this is more than just hot, usually used for soldering and stuff.....that thing did a pretty nice job there and the glass still was fine afterwards....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

Yes I agree with the above heat will get it off, the older the sticker the more heat required. I must admit I have always found a hairdryer does the trick, even on the oldest crusty stickers.

Advertisement