Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Schools

• 12-08-2005 2:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭

Anyone seen the new schools that are being formed in college?! Loving the fact that Philosophy is merging with Economics! hmm ... Just what is Friedrich Nietzsche's perspective on trends in Irish agricultural land prices?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

yeah, maths are just becomming a school by emselves last i heard....

Serenity wrote:
    yeah, maths are just becomming a school by emselves last i heard....

They are indeed. If you really want to have a look at this, click here....

http://www.tcd.ie/Local/Structures/pdf/CurrentFacultyDiagram.pdf

jebus thats a good bit different than originally proposed.... so the faculties will still exist?

Ah but of course! The major difference is with BESS, Arts Letters, and Arts Humanities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭TheIceMaker

Sorry I don't get what these new faculties are all about? What does this change

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

hey wer'e going in under the school of medicine, long live the school of OT!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

Myth wrote:
    They are indeed. If you really want to have a look at this, click here....

http://www.tcd.ie/Local/Structures/pdf/CurrentFacultyDiagram.pdf

bit crazy, you'd think they'd tell people about all these changes. If it hadn't been for Myth's post on tcdsu.org i wouldn't know about it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,197 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Actually thats the first i've heard of it - really think an email of some sort from the hierarchy should go round before college starts informing people that they are now in a different set up tbh.

hrmm i've heard lots about it all year long, there was all sorts of consultations and so on about it, was even a thing organised by the su iirc, where students could come and say their piece...

Myth wrote:
    Ah but of course! The major difference is with BESS, Arts Letters, and Arts Humanities.
    was the original proposition to get rid of the faculties and just have these super schools?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭xeduCat

Yeah, the original report back in spring 04 gave three options:
    stay as is
    create super-schools
    create super-faculties (x 3) with schools inside it

the end result was a bit of a mix - weak faculties (i.e. no budget) and strong schools inside the faculty. Which is what you have in the diagram - 5 faculties that don't really have much real power, and 20 schools/'vice deaneries' (combinations of solo departments), all who control their own budgets.

In the great Trinity tradition, this was finalised and approved in the first week of July, after which the great and the good promptly went off for two months' holidays, and forgot to tell anyone about it. However, there will probably be some inspirational words from His Majesty the Provost at the start of the academic year...

I need to give €€€€ to Boards.ie and change my username, to make sure that Dónal doesn't get tarred with my brush when I say things like that ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

EduCat wrote:
    I need to give €€€€ to Boards.ie and change my username, to make sure that Dónal doesn't get tarred with my brush when I say things like that ;)

The sexuality forum claims another victim ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭xeduCat

Oh, you mean if I say things there, Dónal will get the blame for that as well?

Serenity wrote:
    hrmm i've heard lots about it all year long, there was all sorts of consultations and so on about it, was even a thing organised by the su iirc, where students could come and say their piece...
    Oh there was tons about it, but besides having to put up with so much restructuring talk during the year between SU and faculty stuff, this is the first i've heard of it :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

The medical school is the powerhouse of research in the faculty and one of the biggest in the university...... hence its amalgamation of other schools into it. Its all for the benefit of all in the long run, the OT school will "share" in the €€€€ of the medical school should more become available.....

i doubt they'r going to give us loads of money in fairness, we went through a bad patch last year and we had to print off our own notes which cost a small fortune. we'v only one drinking fountain outside the canteen and it dosnt work probably so wer'e forced to go venture into molecular medicine to take their water (the lighting in james as a tendency to bring on migranes btw).

unfortunelty someone in Molecular medicine reported us to the head of out school for "stealing their water". never really stopped us though, although they moved their fountain deeper into their department, possibly near a security camera.
    hmm just look like the combination lock they put on the empty staff room in the new stone building. must try and figure out the code..the other room gets so crowded at lunch room with the physios always getting out of lectures five minutes before us and getting most if not all the seats..

snorlax wrote:
    we went through a bad patch last year and we had to print off our own notes which cost a small fortune.

Apart from a couple of lecturers we always have to print our own notes.

well we need so much of them, as the lescturers use primarily powerpoint slides (6 slides per page) which works out at about 10-12pages per lecture.
    i suposse we wer'e alittle spoiled when they wer'e being printed out for us...mind you they'rs only 39 of us .

well there's less of us, low as 10 in some classes, and in most classes we end up printing em out ourselves, takes bloddy ages..........

snorlax wrote:
    well we need so much of them, as the lescturers use primarily powerpoint slides (6 slides per page) which works out at about 10-12pages per lecture.
    i suposse we wer'e alittle spoiled when they wer'e being printed out for us...mind you they'rs only 39 of us .

There's only ten of us and our lectures would be about the same size. Then there's the journal articles we're sent, add another ten pages to the total. In other words, you don't have it bad at all. And even then I'm not complaining, half the time I don't print out the notes I just work from the computer with a book.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭foxybrowne

In terms of admin staff, will there be losses, e.g will Scoil na Gaeilge now share a secretary with other schools/departments?

I don't think there will be that much of a change. From what I can tell from the Hamilton end of things is that there will be admin changes but at a level higher up than the departments (i.e. within a department like zoology there won't be many noticeable changes but further up the ladder there will be). I could be well wrong though.

Tis like CS is the powerhouse of research in the faculty of ESS - actually its a major draw for college in general. intrigued to see how things change - in fact it might be the only reason i get involved in class rep ****e etc. this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

crash_000 wrote:
    in fact it might be the only reason i get involved in class rep ****e etc. this year.

Plus i'll be there, so you'll come along (if only to see me). If i can show up at every council as a rep of four people, you need to be there to represent your ≈40. Otherwise the voting system would be completely skewed (not that it isn't already)

well, that and the fact that out of the last council of last year, i got an awful amount of food and drink - and somewhere along the way, francis bought me a pint :)

crash_000 wrote:
    well, that and the fact that out of the last council of last year, i got an awful amount of food and drink - and somewhere along the way, francis bought me a pint :)

That a hint or something?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Myth wrote:
    That a hint or something?!
    If it was it looked like it was more directed at John, but while you're offering.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

If it was it looked like it was more directed at John, but while you're offering.....

Mine's a Jameson and Coke - see you at the first council.

Yeah, Daithi and i just talked nerdtalk for a bit that night before i left instead- so you gotta fulfill that role there Donal :)

• Advertisement

Does this mean that I am no longer a BESS-head, but rather a student of Business in the Faculty of Human and Social Sciences??

Does this mean that I am no longer a BESS-head, but rather a student of Business in the Faculty of Human and Social Sciences??

The course BESS still exists, just what was called the BESS Faculty got a bit of an shake around and is slightly different. So you are still a "BESS-head"...if you do BESS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

the BESS-head is officially dead!

'BESS head' is an attiude/outlook on life, not a course :)

Advertisement