Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which games have aged worst?

Options
  • 12-08-2005 3:21pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭

All this talk of the best games / worst games ever got me thinking. Out of all the games you own, which have succumbed worst of all to the ravages of age? I for one nominate the Tomb Raider series to start off with : clumsy, awkward controls and ugly polygonal graphics have rendered a once revolutionary series completely unplayable.

Any other nominations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

As soon as i saw the title of this thread i thought Tomb raider... damn

It doesnt effect my enjoyment of the game, but Resident Evil 1 for the PS1 isnt exactly a graphical marvel... its still in my top 5 games of all time regardless

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭cousin_borat

all the Street Fighter 2 variations

at the time seemed like a timeless classic but has suffered badly in recent times

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭The Free Man

starwing!

that used to look amazing.....

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

after playing the arcade versions of tekken that come with tekken 5 i have to say that i find tekken 1 has aged terribly - I remember playing that for the first time and thinking it was fast and exciting and had really good graphics now whenever i play it i find myself thinking "move goddamit! come on! hurry up! what kind of fighter are ya? GRRRRRRR!". Tekken 2 and 3 still hold their own in terms of gameplay and to a certain extent graphics but 1 looks well dodgy now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Tomb Raider 1 is still a classic. It may look ugly but the puzzles are still fantastic and its great fun to play. The other game sin the series have aged badly and I don't think I ever liked them.

As for who ever said Street Fighter 2, you are a heretic and have been reading too much GamesTM. Street Fighter 2 is still the most balanced fighting game ever created. It's still great fun to play and the two player mode is unchallenged by even todays beat'em ups. Get back to playing Tekken will you.

Resi 1: Looks crap now we can see through the prerenders but still a fantastic game.

My nominations:

Goldeneye: Still great but it just it just isn't as great a game as when it first appeared. The innovations it brought in control and gameplay are now cliche and the frame rate is terrible. Still no game has come close to the high class non-linear level design. It is disappointing to play it again.

Mortal Kombat 2: The others in the series have always been crap. MK2 however was decent. The juggle combos were decent. However now that I can see through the terrible gore and fatalities it really is terrible compare to SF2 KI and Samurai Showdown. All the characters have the same move set and only separated by their special moves. Also thanks to the excellent conversion from Probe software as usual (sarcasm) the Mega Drive version was left with a few basic juggle combos and sucked a large amount of balls.

After getting my N64 i've noticed just how bad the slowdown in those games are. Some are still very much playable but some really don't live up to the reviews they got years ago.

And yes starwing looks terrible and has a crawling framerate but it is still a great game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

starwing!

that used to look amazing.....
    too damn true!
    was the first thing that popped to mind when i saw this thread's title.

i wish i'd just stuck with my happy memories of it, instead of firing up an emulator :(
    i'm not saying it's **** btw... i had a blast playing through the first few levels again. i just didn't feel that adrenaline rush you got from barrel rolling out of the way of laser fire and trying nifty flying tricks.
    i'm not a kid any more... my sense of disbelief isn't so readily subdued these days :(

Starwing does look crap now, but it has two redeeming features - Gameplay its still really intense and the other feature is ..................... sound!!!!! I love the opening theme music to the first level with all the ships zipping out of the station, also the little chirps and beeps from you copilots are bloody hilarious - i "acquired" wink wink the unreleased starwing 2 emulated which improves on pretty much everything in the game but afaik (correct me if im wrong) starwing came out in 1995 the same year as the saturn and the playstation so the graphics werent as good in comparison anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Another one!

Unreal: It looked lovely and still looks okay today so it ensured the graphics whores loved it. The game however was crap and is even worse today since the graphics don't hold up today. Dumb bad guys who's AI consisted of either strafe and shoot or a crap dive animation off a cliff and some of the worst weaponry ever (I present to you the useless snot firing blob launcher). I tried to like it. I tried to finish it on a challenge with Praetoian (he had to play Deus Ex, wonder who got the raw deal?). I just couldn't finish it. I had far better games to be playing.

Hercule wrote:
    i "acquired" wink wink the unreleased starwing 2 emulated which improves on pretty much everything in the game but afaik (correct me if im wrong) starwing came out in 1995 the same year as the saturn and the playstation so the graphics werent as good in comparison anyway.
    nah. starwing would've been 1991-1992 iirc
    a long time before the ps and saturn came into being anyway...
    and the graphics were ****ing mindblowing at the time :)

Starfox was 1993. It was amazing when it came out. It ran a polygonal engine relatively speedily and looked fantastic compared to other polygonal console games. It also had a small amount of light sourcing and texture mapping. None of this was ever seen before on a 16-bit console and the jaguar, 3DO were just on the horizon sporting similar looking titles. Remember the PS1 and Saturn only arrived around 1996

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

tman wrote:
    nah. starwing would've been 1991-1992 iirc
    a long time before the ps and saturn came into being anyway...
    and the graphics were ****ing mindblowing at the time :)
    The first 'truly 3D' game' apparently... *shrug*

Starfox was 1993. It was amazing when it came out. It ran a polygonal engine relatively speedily and looked fantastic compared to other polygonal console games. It also had a small amount of light sourcing and texture mapping. None of this was ever seen before on a 16-bit console and the jaguar, 3DO were just on the horizon sporting similar looking titles. Remember the PS1 and Saturn only arrived around 1996
    ok, ok, i wasnt very old at the time neway and still only played with lego - (hadnt discovered computergames at the time) i think it was starfox 2 that said 1995 underneath it not 1 my mistake. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I played Duke Nukem 3D recently.. and after about a minute I wanted to throw up... I don't know how I managed to play it for hours and hours all those years ago.

At least we still have Duke Nukem Forever to look forward to.. it's coming out any day now, isn't it?

Hercule wrote:
    ok, ok, i wasnt very old at the time neway and still only played with lego - (hadnt discovered computergames at the time) i think it was starfox 2 that said 1995 underneath it not 1 my mistake. :o
    the release date for an unreleased game :confused:
    i need to go back to bed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

Rhyme wrote:
    The first 'truly 3D' game' apparently... *shrug*
    that statement is so incorrect i just had to reply First true 3d game

plus this game is one of the finest aged games ever, i would still easily and readily play it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I was playing Unreal Tournament yesterday, now thats a game that still looks great for its time.

Hmm....its more so early 3d games that age worst as opposed to 2d games. 2D classics such as Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter 2 and Streets of Rage are still as fantastic as they were 10 years ago.

As for worst aged game, I guess some of the early 3d Snes/Genesis games look brutal now, namely Starwing on the Snes and f22 Interceptor on the Genesis.(f22 runs at about 2 fps... :) )

Nothing really stands out at me otherwise for god, that looks crap now....I guess its funny playing the Original Medal of Honor and Goldeneye - both in their time the ultimate in visuals in respect of their home consoles. Now, they are still great, but they really look - rough. To put it kindly.

Can't wait for the day, when people can say damn, Doom 3 has aged terribly, can't believe we thought that looked good :)

Quake 2: Was it ever good. Okay multiplayer is great but the single-player was arse. It even didn't look all that nice to begin with. Coloured lighting was used way too much and just looked garish. The fantastic AI that was promised was like ported code from Quake 1 except some of the minor enemies ran from side to side, sometimes.

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Quake 2: Was it ever good. Okay multiplayer is great but the single-player was arse. It even didn't look all that nice to begin with. Coloured lighting was used way too much and just looked garish. The fantastic AI that was promised was like ported code from Quake 1 except some of the minor enemies ran from side to side, sometimes.

Don't forget the chaingun guy that ducked so realistically everytime you fired a rocket at him!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

What about Virtua Racer for the megadrive. Arcade port!!! Unbelievable graphics!!! Now looks like a three year old's toy blocks...

tallpaul wrote:
    What about Virtua Racer for the megadrive. Arcade port!!! Unbelievable graphics!!! Now looks like a three year old's toy blocks...

I was actually going to say that, but couldn't remember the name....thats aged so badly, far worse then anything mentioned so far in the thread!

Wasn't there an equallt **** port for the 32x or saturn or something?

• Advertisement

Don't forget the chaingun guy that ducked so realistically everytime you fired a rocket at him!

He did? He also did it when you fired a po-po gun shot at him and got it in the face anyway :rolleyes:

I was actually going to say that, but couldn't remember the name....thats aged so badly, far worse then anything mentioned so far in the thread!

Wasn't there an equallt **** port for the 32x or saturn or something?

32X one was actually very good. The game still plays great. Saturn port wasn't great.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Isn't it amazing though how many SNES / Megadrive generation games - Mario, Zelda, Sonic mainly - remain playable, but much more PSone / N64 games have aged badly (FF7, Mario and Zelda discounted)? 3D games seem to have a much shorter lifespan than 2D ones, technology just catches up on them too quickly.Do you think the cutting edge now will be rendered obsolete when the PS3 , Revolution and XBox 360 come out? Imagine, one day we may be saying how badly Resi 4 has aged. "Jesus, look at those crappy decapitation effects!".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

I'd say hard drivin' has aged pretty badly, was great, first game with clutch action and a pretty cool polygonal graphic, played deadly too, looks crap now though even if the driving engine would still hold up with the best of them.

Anything on the speccie, always hated that machine and thought the games looked dated the day they were released.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Isn't it amazing though how many SNES / Megadrive generation games - Mario, Zelda, Sonic mainly - remain playable, but much more PSone / N64 games have aged badly (FF7, Mario and Zelda discounted)? 3D games seem to have a much shorter lifespan than 2D ones, technology just catches up on them too quickly.Do you think the cutting edge now will be rendered obsolete when the PS3 , Revolution and XBox 360 come out? Imagine, one day we may be saying how badly Resi 4 has aged. "Jesus, look at those crappy decapitation effects!".

Nice thread johnny, I often wonder why is it that the 3d graphics seem to age so badly in many cases. Remember Goldeneye's 'box hands' and 'box heads', sharp, geometrical and angular all over the shop - back in the day it looked the business. I'd imagine that with 2d graphics it wasn't about creating realism but a more fun/ humorous gaming atmosphere, in today's games realistic graphics is an essential aspect for a consumer-friendly game.

When will the day come when I look at Metroid Prime 2 and say:
    "Those graphics... theyre a bit rubbish. I don't remember them being that bad... etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

think about in terms of tv programs, old cartoons still look really good (tom & jerry, looney toons, micky mouse etc) but compare them to live action shows (bill & Ben and other crap) and there is no comparison

2d cartoon looks will always look good; for example metal slug will always be one of those games that will look fresh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

As someone said regarding how snes and megadrive games aged quite well while ps adn such like didn't i think its exactly to do with resources. Snes and megadrive programming had very limited graphics to work with so the emphasis was purely game play. Now they can create cinematic battle scenes emotion on faces etc... so game play almost becomes secondary. Well in any EA title its pushed way down the list so thats pretty much teh problem.

Tell you a game that has aged woefully and dont laugh. Leader board golf on the Commodore 64...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

I find a lot of N64 games havent ages well (but seeing as i never had a ps i would probably be saying the same if i had one)

1huge1 wrote:
    I find a lot of N64 games havent ages well (but seeing as i never had a ps i would probably be saying the same if i had one)
    graphically, neither the ps nor n64 games have aged well.
    gameplay wise, the n64 back catalogue is still a hell of a lot more playable than the ps' (imho)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Dar

X-com. The gameplay is still great, but the interface has aged horribly.

Advertisement