Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which games have aged worst?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

This is a little off topic, actually the complete opposite but for a game that is now fairly old hasn't unreal tournament aged beautifully...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dearg_doom

The thing about MoH Underground was that it started off terribly, and really turned me off the game. Some of the later levels and weapons are fantastic, and by that stage it really once more feels like playing the Original MoH....that is, if you can stick it long enough to reach the good parts. The opening few levels in Paris needed serious, serious work....the levels in Paris, North Africa and the Castle are great though...

Frontline on PS2 and Xbox is a great game. Couldn't really ask for more, loved the game to bits. Rising Sun, now, it was reasonable as a stand alone game, but it had none of the MoH atmosphere or feel....really disappointing game!
    Have to agree with ye about MOH:U!

The Crete level is my fave MOH level ever, it's full of so many neat little touches like flirting with and taking pix of the self important Nazis before shooting them between the eyes; and the warroom in the game is the best in a MOH game too.

It's just a pity about that motorcycle carriage level, that horribly designed mess is all that stopped me from getting a 100% game; which pissed me off a lot.

ExOffender wrote:
    Can't believe everyone's so down on GTA! The top-down versions blow, I agree, but I never played them. My mate gave me GTA after I got 3, and I'm like wtf?!?! How could anyone play this sh*te? Vice City was class, ok, it was basically just an update of 3, but SA is a whole new game! I confess I don't know much about the techy side of things, but you're all ignoring just how massive the game is. Of course it doesn't look the Mae West; graphics have been sidelined to concentrate on size. All this reminds me of a conversation I was having at a party the other weekend (do I not rock? :rolleyes: ). Will post thread in due course.
    The reason so many early 3d games have aged worse than late-generation 2d games is just that... 2d games 1990 and up were building on 10 - 15 years of experience, precedent and the mistakes of others, they were at the top of the 2d ladder. Being that the first 3d games were at the bottom of the 3d ladder, naturally they're only going to get worse, look embarrassingly crap, etc. Even the gameplay ware was new, and thank f*ck they've improved.
    That's a great point, that we all forget sometimes:)

We are only about 12 years into the 3-d era; so it's like the games we are playing now are on a par with the early NES games, so there's plenty of room for improvment(as if we didnt already know that) until we reach the zenith of a 3-d SuperMetroid.. or something.

(anyone who mentions Prime will be fed to the dogs, hopefully someone gets my point:))

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭andyps2.5

I don't like these new 3d worm games. The old 2d games were simple, fun and easy to learn. The 3d games however have terriable controls. Because its 3d now you have to worry about angle of attack and distance. In the 2d games all you had to do was guess direction and much power you need in your attack. Even the movies in the 3d games have become less funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

Final Fantasy 7, despite being an excellent RPG it looks pretty bad by todays standards.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Lord Oz wrote:
    Final Fantasy 7, despite being an excellent RPG it looks pretty bad by todays standards.

And yet only a handful of PRGs can match it in gameplay and story.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Stop talking about graphicsw. obviously old games will look cack compared to todays. but its when a game feels really unplayable you realise how well theyve come on with controls games.

goldeneye being one. conkers bad fur day being another. the shooting bits are awful! I also find after playin wind waker that the controls in Ocarina of time are very sluggish.

tekken was always a crap fighter tbh.

I find pretty much the majority of old "retro" games to be boring. like NES games for instance. They really were crappy with the exceptino of a smal few. the snes however is still amazing. I could play mario world or zombies ate my neighbours for ages....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Deadwing wrote:
    on the other hand, one gme i think has ages fantastically has to be quake3. I played it today and the graphics still look implressive in it, over 4 years later
    Agreed, was at a LAN on Sunday and we got a game of Quake3 going for a laugh, about 10 players, was mad fun. Really has kept its charm, and gameplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

don't know if it has been mentioned - as I'm not bothered reading you blathering idiots :)

but... Desert/Jungle Strike on the megadrive.

Lord Oz wrote:
    I agree ff7 does look a bit dated and ff10 and ff10.2 didn't bring much to the seris. But sqauresoft are bring claod from ff10 into a new game called final fantasy : advent children :cool: . The game looks incredable but we will be waiting a while because the game is for the ps3.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

andyps2.5 wrote:
    I agree ff7 does look a bit dated and ff10 and ff10.2 didn't bring much to the seris. But sqauresoft are bring claod from ff10 into a new game called final fantasy : advent children :cool: . The game looks incredable but we will be waiting a while because the game is for the ps3.

FF: Advent Children will be a DVD video and not a game. No FF games have been announced for PS3.

Retr0gamer wrote:
    FF: Advent Children will be a DVD video and not a game. No FF games have been announced for PS3.
    Ahh Bugger. Oh Well at least the other ps3 games will be good

Well the problem is that we haven't seen any PS3 games. Everything that was shown was either a tech demo or a Pre-render. The confirmed games aren't all that impressive even though we basically only have names to go on.

I wouldn't say that. Now i will agree that the ps3 is a while away. but there have been plenty of ps3 movies. So far killzone 2 is the best. whats more their seems to be a new line up of ps3 movies nearly every mount. the situation is simular to the PSP. it may only a few weeks away, were only getting movies and tech demos. but theres a lot of them.

andyps2.5 wrote:
    I wouldn't say that. Now i will agree that the ps3 is a while away. but there have been plenty of ps3 movies. So far killzone 2 is the best. whats more their seems to be a new line up of ps3 movies nearly every mount. the situation is simular to the PSP. it may only a few weeks away, were only getting movies and tech demos. but theres a lot of them.

The Killzone 2 video isn't from the game it's prerendered just like every other game shown so far. As for the PSP, it has been out a while now in every other territory :rolleyes: Played a bit of Ridge Racers myself. Graphically impressive but not all that great to play. There are however other better games out for the PSP launch. I wouldn't be getting one when it is released in Europe. They are far cheaper on import and also have the firmware for homebrew.

Thanks for the tip but don't intend to get a psp. to me it looks a handheld ps2 with a better media player. im not spending my money on that when i already have a ps2. besides im more interested in ps3.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

Sony has gone on record and said that to prevent the use of homebrew software they would release games with compulsory firmware updates, which means that when you get the newest release game your firmware must be updated automatically befoe you are able to play your new game. The purchase of specific versions of PSP with different firmware (1.5 etc) for above what you would pay for a newer vesion is irrelevant as eventually those busy hackers we all know and love will have "cracked" the next firmware update. Stopping homebrew software when an army of nerds is busy beavering away at new "cracks" is gonna be almost impossible for sony regardless of firmware updates imho - we can all play emulated roms on our PSP's!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Tomb Raider, played it on PC and Saturn when it came out but always knew, even then, that it was strictly filler til Mario 64 got a pal release.
    As for Starwing/StarFox, for its proper frame rate you have to play the NTSC version, a lot smoother and playable, still brilliant, and the subsequent versions have done nothing to improve the series.
    VirtuaRacing, this has a clean asthetic going on. very smooth in the arcades, especially on the three monitior version, I have Megadrive, 32X and Saturn versions, if I was to pick the best it would be the 32X although hats off to sega fpr the Megadrive SVP version.
    Megarace on the 3DO really blows now, when I got the machine I had it along with Burnong soldier, also one that blows, didn't stop me from nearly wearing out the discs though. Total eclipse also sucked big time, although Return Fire is still one of the best 2 player games ever, good for one as well with maps 'o death.
    Street Fighter 2 was always lost on me, but are still fantastic compared to the steaming pile of faeces that are the Mortal Kombat series, utter trash, awarding the random button smasher more than the gamer, with, ohh! digitised graphics! Drag the twat who made this out and gut him, please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Retr0gamer wrote:
    The Killzone 2 video isn't from the game it's prerendered just like every other game shown so far. As for the PSP, it has been out a while now in every other territory :rolleyes: Played a bit of Ridge Racers myself. Graphically impressive but not all that great to play. There are however other better games out for the PSP launch. I wouldn't be getting one when it is released in Europe. They are far cheaper on import and also have the firmware for homebrew.
    now now retro, lets get our facts straight here.. :D
    according to sony, it was in game footage, just not being played in real time. one of thier ceo's went on record a while ago to say it was 100% in game stuff. Whether or not yo believe that is another matter altogether tho...

Deadwing wrote:
    now now retro, lets get our facts straight here.. :D
    according to sony, it was in game footage, just not being played in real time. one of thier ceo's went on record a while ago to say it was 100% in game stuff. Whether or not yo believe that is another matter altogether tho...

Believe Sony marketing hype? When was the last time they told anything that wasn't lies.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

ExOffender wrote:
    Can't believe everyone's so down on GTA! The top-down versions blow, I agree, but I never played them. My mate gave me GTA after I got 3, and I'm like wtf?!?! How could anyone play this sh*te?

It had this magic thing called good game play.

monument wrote:
    I cant belive ExOffender dosn't like GTA. gta 3 wasn't the best but vice city and san andreas rule

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

andyps2.5 wrote:
    I cant belive ExOffender dosn't like GTA. gta 3 wasn't the best but vice city and san andreas rule

I actually like GTA3 the most...

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Borat_Sagdiyev

monument wrote:
    Damn right.

A lot of people here are saying that the graphics in the GTA series in general is poor. I'm not going to argue, they aren't top class. But GTA was never about looking bright and shiney. GTA was always about having a laugh while playing a game, having no limit to what you wanted to do. If you want to piss the cops off by killing a few people, and then killing the cops when they attack you, that is a possibility the game will allow. Its the same in 3, Vice City, and SA. So CJ's hands look like the fingers are stuck together, big deal. The people are unrealistic looking? I don't give a sh!t. The game does what it was designed to do and thats ensure the player enjoys it.

@Deadwing: Probably Kutaragi;)

@CiDeRmAn: I agree with you completely about MK's graphics, I never knew what the fuss was about them.. to me the realistcy stuff just emphasised how **** graphics really are! But I remember hordes of people loving MK over SF purely because it was more 'real' :rollseyes:

I actually like GTA3 the most...
    Me too, VC had a special charm though, hearing all these songs from when I was young, and it kicked off the whole 80's revival. But 3 had a deadly story. And a hawt oriental dominatrix:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

GTA3 was the real innovator, VC & SA are jsut gta3 with bells and whistles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭ExOffender

Just to clarify, it's the top-down versions of GTA that bite, ie, Grand Theft Auto, Grand Theft Auto London, and I think there's one other. From 3 onwards they rock.
    And I possibly could have gotten into them, but having played 3 first there was just no point for me. It's not like MGS where I'm looking forward to Subsistence because it will have fully playable versions of Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake. GTA's more about environment than linear narrative.

Well there is no linear narrative in the first 3 GTA games. And all three are still fantastic, there isn't any other game like them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Mortal Kombat is THE fighting game.

Street fighter is good too but its so.....eh.

I still play Mortal Kombat trilogy on my Psone, great game. I find Steet Fighter 2 boring after about 2 minutes unless you have friends. I know they are both by and large intended as multiplayer games but I find it miles more fun playing MK anyday.

Its wierd, even though MK2 was on Snes, and SF2 on the MD, its still largely associated as MK/MD and SF/SNES

Advertisement