Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which games have aged worst?

Options
124»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Mortal Kombat is THE fighting game.

Street fighter is good too but its so.....eh.

I still play Mortal Kombat trilogy on my Psone, great game. I find Steet Fighter 2 boring after about 2 minutes unless you have friends. I know they are both by and large intended as multiplayer games but I find it miles more fun playing MK anyday.

Its wierd, even though MK2 was on Snes, and SF2 on the MD, its still largely associated as MK/MD and SF/SNES

MK1 had blood on the Megadrive but was an avsolute dog of a game. the Snes one played very close to the arcade game but had no blood so everybody realised the game stunk on the arcade game anyway. Subsequent MK games were always vastly superior on the Snes. the megadrive conversions were handled by Probe software, a comany known for doing some of the worst arcade conversions ever. MK2 was probably their worst conversion. Almost all combos were removed for no good reason. MK3 introduced combos that took 3 minutes to learn and were way too powerful. The rest of the games aren't very good.

As for MK better than SF2. I hope you are joking. MK has always been a fireball and jump kick fest. there are no other tactics except in MK 3 when a combo will take off a stupidly huge chunk of health with no chance to retaliate. All characters have the same basic move set which do the same damage. This means that the characters with the best special moves will always have a huge advantage. Mortal Kombat was always crap. A bit of blood and dodgy digitised graphics meant it got far more attention than it deserved.

SF2 on the other hand is a beautifully made piece of software. Excellently balanced characters despite the characters playing very differently, fantastic combo system and gameplay that is extremely tactical and dynamic unlike the jump kick fest of the MK games. Every move in street fighter 2 is counterable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dearg_doom

SF2 was a SNES launch title in Europe.

All the babies got MarioWorld, and all the cool kidz got SF2. :D

Both still excellent games to play, I wonder how many of the next gen's launch titles we'll be playing in 15years??!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Perhaps Progect Gotham 3? Maybe? Bugger all else though, will have to wait to see what Nintendo bring out on the Revolution.

I really liked the original GTA games on the PS1, maybe because I was a well seasoned gamer by then, but I loved the music, the free-roaming nature of it all, the London one was a glorified mission pack but good fun none the less and GTA2 was pretty interesting as it introduced the gang dynamic, keeping one side sweet, playing them off of each other, as has been said before, its all about the gameplay. Really if you startes playing games on the PS2 there is no way you will appreciate these titles as we did at the time, seeing them as historical relics rather than as thing that were new and fun once upon a time.

Still are when I pop my rose tintes specs on!

Still love Magic Carpet on my PS1 and Need 4 Speed on my 3DO, never get old.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,681 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

2d Nes games do look awful. I guess its that the Snes/MD took 2D basically as far as it would go, and so even newer 2D games aren't vastly superior.

In 3d terms, DC games still look very good (the first second generation 3d game), I don't see the likes of Soul Caliber on the DC looking bad in a few years time, as its still up there with even newer Xbox/PS2 games in the looks department.

PC wise, the q3 engine seems to have aged fairly well, and Unreal was a great game, with lots of subtlety to it, some people however are too uncouth to "get" it ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

I think the Donkey Kong Country games have aged badly. Looked amazing for the time but the gameplay was just average, wasn't bringing anything specifically new to the table.

• Advertisement
Advertisement