Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheesy Listening

Options
  • 12-08-2005 3:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭

When I hear certain radio shows running a 'cheesy listening' slot, I have to wonder. What might be cheesy to one person, may be quality music to another. So when a dj plays a song and mocks it heartily afterwards, there could be thousands of listeners wondering what's so bad about their favourite tune.

Is it a good idea for radio shows to have these slots? Might it cost them listeners?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

It depends on what they play if is lounge music and stuff like Esquivel nobody is going to say it ain't cheese. I love some songs but they are pure cheese. People will write in and claim something is not cheese but generally most will think it harmless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

The irony is, those radio stations who come with phrases like 'cheesy listening', are just contributing to the fact that most Irish radio stations are '*****y listening'.

K.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

Crubeens wrote:
    When I hear certain radio shows running a 'cheesy listening' slot, I have to wonder. What might be cheesy to one person, may be quality music to another. So when a dj plays a song and mocks it heartily afterwards, there could be thousands of listeners wondering what's so bad about their favourite tune.

Is it a good idea for radio shows to have these slots? Might it cost them listeners?
    If you're talking about the slot I think you're talking about, the presenters have tended to define cheesy as "What most people would never own up to liking but which they would not hesitate to dance to at a wedding".

I suppose there are a few fragile souls out there who will weep openly upon hearing some jock describing "Kayleigh" by Marillion as cheesy when it provided a soundtrack to their disaffected late eighties teenage years, but to be honest, there can't be many. As for losing listeners - perhaps, but one would hope that the idea of calling a slot cheesy listening is that nobody should feel mortally offended...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

I don't think cheesy means bad. It just means cheesy.
    "Kayleigh" by Marillion
    I love that song.

Advertisement