Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opel Astra 1999 vs 2000 Alfa Romeo 146

Options
  • 12-08-2005 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭

As part of my search for my first car (25y/o male, 1 yr full license & named driving experience, budget €5,000) I’ve come across an Alfa Romeo 146 and an Opel Astra and will probably end up deciding between these two.

The Alfa is a 2000 1.4L 146 (1.4 is my ideal engine size). It has metallic blue paint, alloys, electric windows, immobiliser and remote central locking, and he said it has a full service history. It had a new timing belt at 50k miles and currently has 58k miles on it so the timing belt should last another couple of years. I am due to view the Alfa next week as owner is away, will ask about NCT and Tax then. Asking price id ad was 5.5k, on phone 5k so I would aim for 4.5k.

The Astra is a 1999 1.4L with 75k miles on the clock. Its silver, has sunroof, electric windows and mirrors, remote central locking, immobiliser, don’t think it has alloys. The owner is a mechanic in the garage my mate’s brother works in and he sounds decent enough. He says it needs a new timing belt and has a small dent on the passenger door. NCT is due but he says he will guarantee it to pass and will do any work to fix any issues if it doesn’t pass. He’ll offer it at around 3.5k as-is but would prefer to do it for 4,200 after fixing dent and adding new timing belt, and prepping for NCT – he’d still guarantee it to pass.

So what would you go for? I’ve read reliability issues here relating to both, but the main one with Alfas seems to be the timing belt and that shouldn’t be an issue here. What specifically is the alleged issue with late 90s Astras? Or should I just get a Nissan Almera, which seem to be a little bit more expensive?

Lookswise I love the Alfa and would really love to drive it, however I’m viewing the Astra on Monday and it seems like the less risky, sensible option but are Alfas really that bad?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

are Alfas really that bad?

If it was looked after, then No.
    But did you get an insurance quote? I'd say the Alfa will cost more even if it has the same engine capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

I would advise you to go for the Astra.

The only 'issue' with late '90's Astra's is the need to change the waterpump when replacing the timing belt, which is a straighforward job.
    The reason ? ...... Apparently, the waterpumps have a design-fault which could cause it's some of it's propellors to break off and so damage the belt.

However, this is not a problem once the belt is change every 35,000 miles (40k miles is the Opel-recommended time, but I would always do it earlier than what the manufacturers say!).

A complete Timing Belt kit costs only €150 incl VAT from OTTO in Ranelagh.
    (Same kit would cost c.€255 from a main dealer!).

I bought a '03 Astra two weeks ago (see my thread 'I finally found the right car' for pic) and am very pleased with it.
    (It has 29k miles on it and I too will be changing the timing belt at 35k).

Check out www.honestjohn.co.uk for great info on any used car.

Silvera.
    (Ex-Panel Beater).

Advertisement