Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Female Sex Issue

• 12-08-2005 9:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭

Dear boardsers,

I hope that I have the right section for seeking advice on a personal issue. I am posting on behalf of a mate who asked me to help her out.

I will get straight to the point. This posting concerns sex and a fear of getting pregnant. There is a twist to the tale as the person concerned has an allergy to latex and when on the pill has put on a considerable amount of weight. This has resulted in an aversion to sex. I do not seek advice on the issue of allergy but wonder if there are alternatives to latex and the pill for contraception.

P.S. the person concerned has been to the doctor. Is there any place that would be in a position to provide advice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

One of Durex's condoms is Polyurethane, I think it is the Avanti model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

I seem to recall a couple of ladies with Latex allergies posting on PI before. Try searching for them. Had a quick look myself but cant find them. Positive I have seen them before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

CJhaughey wrote:
    One of Durex's condoms is Polyurethane, I think it is the Avanti model.

Yeah thats right...Durex Avanti, no latex

A brand called Mates also have a latex free condom on the market, it is called crystal.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Word of caution regarding Durex Avantis. Yes they're not latex, but they are thinner, with a lot less stretch(virtually none) and as a consequence way more likely to fail through breakage. I've personally had 3 (yes 3) failures in one evening and 2 on another occasion. Something that I've never, ever had happen with other latex condoms. I also found them to be quite porous for want of a better description.

I'm not alone in this. The FDA in America had a warning and partial recall on that very product some years back. Friends that have tried them also had multiple failures. Luckily for me and them the women in question were protected in other ways. I really wouldn't trust them as a lone contraceptive. At all. I can speak of no experience with the female non latex condom, but the male one's delicacy beggars belief(especially at the price).

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,280 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Different pills effect girls in different ways. Get her to go back to the doctor, there'll more than likely be one of the types of pill that won't cause her to put on weight (an ex of mine actually lost weight by changing pills...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭Esel

The IUD (Intra-Uterine Device?) is another possibility.

Also, Femidom, the female 'condom'. This could be used in conjunction with a normal condom, as it should prevent any contact between the latex and tissue.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭*Page*

you can get non latex femidom's. most good chemist's do them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Wibbs wrote:
    Word of caution regarding Durex Avantis. Yes they're not latex, but they are thinner, with a lot less stretch(virtually none) and as a consequence way more likely to fail through breakage. I've personally had 3 (yes 3) failures in one evening and 2 on another occasion. Something that I've never, ever had happen with other latex condoms. I also found them to be quite porous for want of a better description.

Weird, I've used Avantis almost exclusively for the past few years, with one single breakage. I've even tried to break one deliberately with my hands as a test, and it wasn't easy.

Advertisement