Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clearwire -> "Connect anytime, anywhere."

Options
  • 12-08-2005 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

Is this more lifestyle speak? It claims to use cellular towers, but somehow i doubt i`ll get coverage in northwest cavan.

There is no coverage map that i can see?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

They haven't launched yet but they are signing up and connecting customers. Call them for details. They have 3.5GHz licences so you can look up their licenced areas on ComReg. They seem to use ESB masts, the type also used by the mobile operators.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Looks like a very good service. I've got a test box her but unfortunately there is no signal in my area (Rathgar, Dublin). They have not officially launched yet as theyare still working on coverage. Chances of coverage in cavan are very slim, but they hope to have most of south dublin covered in a few months. Service is not location dependant, the box will work where ever there is signal, so you can bring t to a friends house, or even get a power adaptor and use it in the car! Everyone I spoke to was very helpfull so they seem to be an excellent company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

Zascar wrote:
    Everyone I spoke to was very helpfull so they seem to be an excellent company.
    Had an email conversation with somebody in the US on this company early this year and here's a few things he wrote:
    .Mexico using 2.4 gig..In the USA, we are seeing Clearwire roll out now in several communities. They are going national slowly. One target is Hawaii, where a single tower on the mountain can serve nearly a million people in Honolulu.
    They are very hot in the USA these days and I'm sure they see the VoIP
    opportunity.

Clearwire is owned by the gazillionaire McCaw interests (sold their wireless
    phone system to AT&T for $12 billion) and now has big money coming in from
    Intel as they want to build Centrino-type chips to include the 3.5 connection...

Can't imagine this to be a simple project in Ireland with the way the 3.5 gig licences were handled.
    The company's Irish website www.clearwire.ie has no updates.
    Weren't those 3.5 gig licence holders supposed to start no later than November 2004 with services?
    The latest ComReg document "Trends Survey Series" (page 14) shows – again – the map of the 3.5 gig licence areas with the big geographical circles which are n o t the coverage area, to give the false impression of big areas covered, when in reality ComReg solely allows Eircom to sit on the 100% geographical coverage part of the 3.5 gig spectrum.
    P.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭BlueShaun

I suppose
    Connect anytime, anywhere in Dublin Limerick Galway or Cork
    doesnt have the same ring to it.

They are very hot in the USA these days and I'm sure they see the VoIP
    opportunity.

I love the idea of mobile voip handsets :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Well this is their current US offering:
    http://www.clearwire.com/store/service_plans.php

Nothing special except for the 256k upload available on packages with a download higher than 512k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Looks rather like another Ripwave set up

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Solair wrote:
    Looks rather like another Ripwave set up

Shudders

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

I have clearwire, and trust me. It is NO ripwave.
    I use their box for pure uncompressed VoIP 80 - 90KB per second [bytes not bits] and it flies along

I am sitting on their high site, though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

hmm...whats your ping?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

im liking the look of this but whats the cost for going over bandwidth
    2 things bother me and 1 is if its running off mobile masts then wont we be subjected to radiation by using and secondly would it be availible in gorey/wexford

Pings to www.boards.ie are generally <35 but haven't checked in ages

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

weeder wrote:
    ...if its running off mobile masts then wont we be subjected to radiation by using...
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

oscarBravo wrote:
    just a thought

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

IrishTLR wrote:
    Pings to www.boards.ie are generally <35 but haven't checked in ages
    Not too shabby

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

oscarBravo wrote:

You beat me to it.

When they say "Connect anytime, Anywhere", what they mean is, you can bring your radio anywhere within their coverage radius and it will still work.

For example, I "could" bring it down to the pub [It's just an example :)] or a mates house and plug it in. Once the rasio is still within the coverage area, I will get broadband. I am NOT tied to my house.

Now, as to what there coverage area is, I have no idea.

oscarBravo wrote:

I assume he means during upload.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Chopper

I'm in the Swords area and got a clearwire leaflet in the door last week.

Has anyone connected with them yet ? any reviews of their service ?

or should I have posted this under Comp > Comms > Broadband
    Anyone ?

Yeah, I'm with them over a month and haven't had many troubles with them.
    I've had a few outages but they were still in their setup and trial phase before going live.

Highly recommended. And you get your 256Mb upload speed which helps A LOT...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Punchbowl

How do you order this?

Punchbowl wrote:
    How do you order this?

I would assume that ringing them would be a good start :)

Try 1800 88 23 33.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Punchbowl

Of course I meant to ask if it was possible to order online!!!..

I'll give them a buzz anyway and let eveyone know, cause I know you all really want to...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 wurdley

It's the pricing I'd be curious about. Do we have any idea what it'll be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

I don't know why they can't update their bloomin' web site so I don't have to be the Clearwire pricing rep around here:

1Mbps/256kbps: €40
    2Mbps/256kbps: €50

For 1Mb:256Kb I think it's a cent or two shy of €40
    For the 2Mb:256Kb, I think it's about €50

One thing to note:
    Although not quite true, their modem acts LIKE a DHCP server. So you MAY get conflicts [like I did] if you already have a router, modem or computer acting as a DHCP server. A quick call to their support guys should solve this. I just gave them the MAC address of my router and they did stuff on my end to tie the IP address to my router, rather to their modem.

Happy days.

And no, I don't this you can order on line. You gotta call them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 wurdley

Thanks lads. I wouldn't buy off a company that doesn't have prices (or an order form for that matter) anyway, just curious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭decbuck

You have to ring them alright. You get first month for a euro. I just signed up and they sent me a survey to complete and this gives another month free.

I have the service about 2 weeks now and would highly recommend it.

You also get a month free for every referral. You can say i referred you if you want!!!

decbuck wrote:
    You also get a month free for every referral. You can say i referred you if you want!!!

Forgot about that. I should have mentioned the referal first :(

Anyway, considering the "Issues" I had with other BB providers, I am VERY happy with Clearwire.

decbuck, where are you located? Which mast are you hanging from. I'm on the Naas site.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭decbuck

Fair enough. IrishTLR should get this referral. I am on Maynooth site. It was down for 4 days when i wanted to connect, so my "installation" was delayed. But since I was connected there has been no problem. Even brought it to my brother house other side of the town and it works fine.

Advertisement