Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drilling through Bathroom Wall Tiles

• 12-08-2005 9:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 822 ✭✭✭

Hey lads and ladies,

I'm about to mount a mirror onto the bathroom wall which is tiled. I've never drilled through tile before so what I need to know is the following:

> Can I use an ordinary masonary drill bit?
    > Any particular area of the tile i should avoid that would make it crack?
    > Any other advice?

Cheers for any advice

Mutz

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭WILKEL

There is a special drill bit(in different sizes)for drilling tiles available at most hardware shops.
    not sure what the proper name is - trying to do it with ordinary drill bits usually causes a burnt drill bit and no hole !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

If you have to drill through the tile face, as opposed to between tiles, then put some insulating tape on the tile where you will drill as it stops the bit from slipping.
    Drill slooooooowly.
    Ordinary bit will do ya.

Oh, and don't drill through any pipes/wires

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭ismynametoolong

neil hit the nail or should i say drill bit on the head

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Mutz

and don't drill through any pipes/wires

Its above the sink under the shaving light. Am I safe in presuming that the wire for the shaving light is coming from the attic? (normal Upstairs bathroom in a norm 3 bed two storey)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

ya, the wire should normally come from the attic, but never assume anything...see if you can pull the wire and look to see what direction it comes from.

Use normal masonry bit.

Start with a smaller one (4/5mm) and masking tape on the area with a cross hairs to mark your point. Drill slowly until the drill bit makes a score in the tile and can grip in.
    Once you get started in a mm or 2, then you can flick on the hammer action.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

I'd normally avoid hammer action when drilling through the tile - if you have a masonry wall behind, use hammer when you actually get to it. Nothing worse than having a cracked tile to deal with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

Hi Mutz

Never, never never, ever use hammer action on tile. To be absolutely safe, use new masonary bits. After drilling through tile, switch on hammer action if block wall. Then increase size of hole in tile( thickness of tile only) with slighyly larger drill bit, to allow for expansion of wall plug. By enlarging hole you can push the head of plug through tile, flush with wall. This will minimise cracking, no matter how hard you tighten screw.
    If wall is plaster board, after penetrating tile use steel drill bit, needle size (even smaller than 1/16" if possible), and with minimum revs and plenty of "push", break (rather than drill) through last bit of board. With brill bit between fingers, you can feel for pipes cables etc. By pushing rather than drilling you will move / not cut any loose cables. Cables in trunking and pipes have a good survival rate.
    Hope this helps
    T

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I've used hammer action many a time and yet to crack a tile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Mutz

Thanks for the advice all, worked like a dream.

Used the insulating tape without hammer action. Took a little while to make a mark but after that it was grand.

Cheers all! :)

Advertisement