Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW E30 buying advise

Options
  • 12-08-2005 11:42pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭

Hey all,
    Thinking about buying one of these. Any advice on things i should look out for. What goes wrong with a car made 15 years ago and with over 100,000 miles. Looking at a 320i, are they a good engine, etc, etc, etc??

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Excellent cars and I regret selling my 89 320i for a 97 523i.
    If going for a 6 pot then get the 325i (preferably 325i Sport). The 320i has rear drums whereas the 325i has disks all round - it doesn't make a difference to braking but looks better! Both the 320i and 325i use the M20 engine (with different bores). The 320i is a good workhorse but can be a little thirstier than the 325i believe it or not. The cars are pretty solid if looked after and can go on and on. I sold mine with something like 160k on it and the engine was as good as new!!!
    Anyhow, on a car like this your main problems are engine wear and rust.
    Check for the following:-
    Rust:-
    wheel arches
    spare wheel well
    sunroof area
    also check inside engine bay and around windscreen and other glass areas.

Engine:-
    Ensure the timing belt was changed within the last 50k miles
    listen for camshaft wear
    look for oil leaks on the engine, g/b and diff
    Any coolant leaks? If the engine overheats then head warping can occur.

Bodywork:-
    strut top mounts can wear on these - listen for noises whilst driving
    Check the alignment of body panels - is there any obvious mis-alignment indicating crash damage?

make sure the engine is cold when starting. look for unusual smoke and noises. Take it for a drive. Any unusual noises or rattles? Is there any play on the steering? Do the brakes work fine? Does the car rev easily enough? Does the car try and overheat (move much over center line) when sitting for a few minutes? This would indicate a worn fan clutch.

If you are not mechanically minded then bring someone with you who is! Where are you located?

Also, there are plenty of great examples out there. Try and get one with as many electrics as possible (mirrors, windows, etc.) and with alloys (pref 15" BBS cross spokes). Non BMW alloys and also larger than 15" can result in poor handling.

helpful sites:-
    www.e30zone.co.uk
    www.bmwe30.net

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

I've often taught about getting one, love the look of them. But with me maybe going to college this year i dont think it will happen :(

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Cheers Kbannon, will keep the above in mind. Someone else has mentioned problems about the rear differential. Have you heard about this and would it be expensive to to fix.
    I'm not really in ther know about these things, but am learning at the moment.
    I would like a 320i Touring, But if the fuel consumptions equals that of 325 well maybe. A 325 would be sweet.

Advertisement