Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best beer ever tasted?

• 13-08-2005 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭

This is considerably trickier and the question is posed mainly for selfish reasons. 'Twould be nice if ye'd mention whether it's a lager, pilsner, ale.... Oh - and country of origin!

I'll start: probably Augustiner Fastenbier, a beer produced in the Augustinian Monastery in Salzburg during Lent - not available at any other time. Their regular (Maerzenbier, 4.80 euro a litre), is superb, but this is sublime. It would probably fall into the broad category of lagers, but their beers have an unrivalled smoothness and drinkability.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

i know its cider but "Bulmers" wins me over every time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

a cool pint of smithwicks goes down the best for me

edit: i suppose it would be ale??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

tribulus wrote:
    a cool pint of smithwicks goes down the best for me
    I concurr, except when it's been sittin in the pipes for a while :(

Tuborgs good too..lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I'm quite the fan of 'Hoegaarden' which is a beer from belgium. Only thing is that it is hard enough to get here and its quite expensive. Erdinger weissbier from germany is quite nice aswell.

They are both quite smooth beers with that cloudy effect that makes them look delicious aswell.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

i know its cider but "Bulmers" wins me over every time.
    agreed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

agreed.

So do i...you just can't beat a bulmers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

gazza22 wrote:

I'm forwarding this motion....

but if your a cider head and want to try a beer, or a beer head and want something nice! Try Tiger beer, tis japanese and lovely. As one of my mates put it...its the holy grail of beerdom... :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

gazza22 wrote:
    watching skynews...just makes you want o have one...'cool crip refreshing'...ah!

and the first one is always soooo good !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭charlo_b

Have too say that the whenever I think about the nicest beer I've ever drank it always comes back to Newcastle Brown Ale (Bottle)....usually i'm a lager drinker but it always sticks in my mind as being absolutely lovely. Dunno why??

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,323 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Gambrinus, a pilsner that I had in Prague some years ago. Nothing has ever topped that, although I am partial to another Czech beer, Staropramen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

Is that the stuff that tries to be swithwicks but just with a vile aftertaste(Newcasle Brown)?

Misticles wrote:
    Is that the stuff that tries to be swithwicks but just with a vile aftertaste(Newcasle Brown)?

We all have different tastes mate!

I'm assuming your a Smithwicks man and fair play to you for that desicion, it can be a lovely pint on on occasions. But the question raised "What was the best beer you've ever tasted" and like I said my mind always brings me back to Newcastle Brown Ale.

Sorry but I can't argue with my memory, even if I am drunk on cheap Stella Artois! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

Ah lovely stella, or the wife beater as its also known :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭scargill

lads lads lads. you can stick to your fancy stuff.

Tommy Flethchers in Naas - and a dirty pint of black. end of thread.

Farls wrote:
    Ah lovely stella, or the wife beater as its also known :)

Tis lovely, and luckily the wife is gone to bed :) Just kidding ladies!

On an other note is Tiger beer not originally from Singapore, and now brewed in Thailand??? Linky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 dataglo

Ice cold Corona with Lime and nachos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

Bulmers? Smithwicks? Corona? Stella?

Jesus wept.

Look Bulmers isn't beer its a cider, Smithwicks is a rank red ale, and Corona is american piss water.

Ale. Sierra Nevade Pale ale. (i know what I said about american beer, but this is an ale) Smooth yet crisp, oaky goodness.

Stratopramen isn't half bad, but leffen is a quality beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭pdebarra

mycroft wrote:
    Bulmers? Smithwicks? Corona? Stella?

Jesus wept.

Look Bulmers isn't beer its a cider, Smithwicks is a rank red ale, and Corona is american piss water.

Ale. Sierra Nevade Pale ale. (i know what I said about american beer, but this is an ale) Smooth yet crisp, oaky goodness.

Stratopramen isn't half bad, but leffen is a quality beer.

's funny. I thought Corona was Mexican. American beers do have a distinct tendency to be s h i t e, but, once again, the microbrews can be an exception.

Not that fond of Belgian beers, on the whole (no, not even Kriek). Much prefer the Central Europeans: pilsners, lagers, the odd bock and quality weizenbier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

heineken or warsteiner hands down fo me but i'd drink anything that was too thin to eat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

So many to choose from...

Rothaus Hefe was a really delicious beer I found somewhere in the Black Forest near Freiburg (sp?). Very crisp, almost nutty taste that I just haven't experienced anywhere else.

I miss Germany. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

People, if u havent already, do yourself a favour and head on down to Spur in Liffey Valley :D . They are selling THE best lagar in the world, it has the award and everything :p . **Castle**
    SA Pride :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

My favourite regular tipple would be Verboden vrucht/Fruit défendu/forbidden fruit. I'm partial to sweet Belgian browns, but I've had a couple of pilsners in Hungary which were probably top of the list of one-offs. Can't for the life of me remember their names or even where they were brewed, but they were delish, and cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

Baltica No.4 (different numbers for different strengths)! Used to live on the stuff in Moscow.

Or a pint of plain in JJs on Aungier St.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

The Porter House's self-brewed Hersbrucker is a firm favourite with me.

It's hard to find a daecent pint in Dublin, but one I'll look out for is Warsteiner. The only place I know of at the moment that has it on tap is the Pod.

Other than that, give me a pilsner (preferably German or Czech) and I'm happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭dermo88

Paulaner, Franziskaner, Erdinger. I am quite a fan of those Bavarian Weissbiers. Absolutely love them.

Reissdorf Kolsch from Cologne in Germany. You won't find it in Ireland though.

Old Speckled Hen Ale in England. The English are damn good at making quality ale when given the chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

Castle ^^
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

I have just had a can of Red Stripe , its Jamaican beer and tastes p*ss to say the least. My favourite has to be "De Kanon" , its made by Grolsch and can only be bought in Holland its 11.6% its absolutely beautiful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

got 4 500 ml bottles of Beckett's for a fiver, now thats nice beer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Have converted to drinking ale recently in the local. Interesting experience.

Love good guinness. Was a long time fan of stella, but it gives me icepick-in-the-eye hangovers. Leffe Blonde is interesting. Asahi is marvellous. Sapporo is also marvellous. Tiger and Cobra are good but I associate them with being wrecked off my nonce in a curry house.

The best beer I ever had was the local sauce on tap in Frankfurt. That was magnificent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Out of the usual beers available at bars (Bud, Carlsberg, etc) Heinken is definately best,love the stuff :D

Advertisement