Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Female Programmers

Options
  • 13-08-2005 6:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭

Any female programmers on the boards here?
    Just curious, as it seems to be predominantly, a male profession.

Is it a testosterone thing, only males have an obsession with integers?
    Or are most females constantly put down, and as a consequence give up on the subject too quickly?

Completely off topic of technical programming, but I have a question here if you would like to answer it. :)

Do obsessive personalities make better programmers?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Where i work, there are 5 male programmers, and 2 female. Wouldn't be able to comment further than that :p But i can say is that the two women are better than some of the guys.

As for obsessive personalities being better.... well, in a general sense, no. Being obsessive is never good. But with regards to programming, it might help give you that extra drive to complete the project.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Anywhere I've worked its always been about 40-50% women aswell. I'd say attention to detail is important, and being able to think laterally. I'd say being obsessive is a bad thing in a programmer. You need to be flexible and always open to other suggestions, ideas etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

The IT department in DIT kevin st/aungier st are all ladies, not totaly on topic but im a wealth of useless information!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Yeah I noticed that too, all I can say is how very very odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

This is the Steve Rule (in any given group of programmers there are more called Steve (or variations thereof) than females). It's often spookily accurate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭PhantomBeaker

Hmm, in the CS course I'm doing there're 3 girls out of 50 in denominated computer science (as opposed to doing it through general science or arts - in which case the proportions are closer to 35-40% girls).

I remember coming across a bad joke about dating in the IT industry.

For a woman looking to work in the IT industry, she will find that she is outnumbered 9 to 1 by men in the industry. As a result, for any woman wishing to find a husband in the industry, the numbers work in her favour. However, one woman in the industry has been quoted as saying "While the odds may be rather good, the goods are rather odd".

Sorry, just had to share the pain.

The statistic that I find scary is the amount of male-to-female trannies that work in programming! It seems to be the job of choice - if only I knew why.

Take care,
    P.B.

The statistic that I find scary is the amount of male-to-female trannies that work in programming! It seems to be the job of choice - if only I knew why.
    Never noticed that. There are a lot of lesbians, though, certainly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭SolarNexus

I think the different numbers can equate to the fact that, afaik, men have a further advanced innate ability to think logically -- wheras this is not such the case with women. Without wishing to start a flame war, I think most people can agree that women are on the whole less logical than men (*ducks for cover*)

This only means that men are, by nature, predisposed to such things a programming - it does not mean that women cant or are by their nature 'lesser equals', just I would expect it takes more drive and more effort. There are also the usual stuff like whether women are taking up careers as apposed to children, whether they consider it (unfairly or not) a mans workplace and other such things which go along with every woman in all forms of work. I dont think its a matter of less women can be programmers, just less want to be, for their relative reasons. This is changing though, I can say this specifically as my mentor in college was female, and as far as I know her predecessor was too.

I would have thought that it's more exactly the same social pressures that keep so many women out of the scientific and mathematical fields; "oh, that's not for girls".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭SolarNexus

rsynnott wrote:
    I would have thought that it's more exactly the same social pressures that keep so many women out of the scientific and mathematical fields; "oh, that's not for girls".
    in the nearly 2yrs I was at college, there was one girl -- at the very end, and I heard far too many times people saying things along those lines. but again, when we had tours going through, the feminine tour-goers barely batted an eyelid when visiting the IT department, and when they did it was 99% of the time they would go for the hands on work (as does 99% of everyone) which was IT matenance. So though there may not be many programmers, I wonder just how many IT 'workers' there are...

• Advertisement

SolarNexus wrote:
    I think the different numbers can equate to the fact that, afaik, men have a further advanced innate ability to think logically -- wheras this is not such the case with women. Without wishing to start a flame war, I think most people can agree that women are on the whole less logical than men (*ducks for cover*)

Maybe so, but at the same time, I think that while logical thinking is very important with programming, it's not the only way to approach things. In fact, sometimes a slightly non-logical (but nonetheless reasoned) approach to a problem can yield better results. And if we agree that women are not necessarily as logical thinkers as men, then I'd say that sometimes they can hit on solutions to problems that aren't immediately obvious to men.

That said, there are always exceptions.

P.B.

rsynnott wrote:
    Never noticed that. There are a lot of lesbians, though, certainly.

Well, thing is, it's among younger mtfs (under 40), and how many of those do you see in Ireland? But through friends in the UK and the like, I do find a scary amount are involved in the IT sector (i.e. have CS degrees and a rather obsessive/maniacal/dictatorial/fascist love of some form of unix - no pun intended, I think)

Take care,
    P.B.

rather obsessive/maniacal/dictatorial/fascist love of some form of unix - no pun intended, I think)

Nothing wrong with that!

EDIT: Hmm, now I think of it, most gay programmers I know (tho not myself) are Microsofties. Interesting. Possibly the lesbians get VMS, or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

I think part of the reason there are a lot of men in computer science is because most of the people who like taking stuff apart, who are good at maths, have a interest in mechanical/mathematical game/puzzles are mostly men. I think evolution played a part in this. I find the "women are told it's uncool for women to be interested in maths/computers" to be very weak, since many groups think it's 'uncool' for anyone (male or female) to be interested in maths/computers!

As for trannies I suspect that due to the rarity and (in some cases) social disapproval of transexuality, means many would meet over the internet, and hence there would be a high level of computer literacy. That's my theory.

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~gendergap/working.html
    Some papers on studies on women in computer science. A interesting read, especially the first one on the motivation of computer science students.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

In the very old days computer programming was considered to be women's work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

COBOL was created by Admiral Grace Hopper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

Wikipedia rules, another link for Grace Hopper
    It's a bit close to 'grasshopper', I wonder was she the subject of cruel chides as a child? Amazing woman.

I like the explanation given for the preponderence of geeks in IT by Bob Cringely in his series "Triumph of the Nerds ". He says that it's easier for guys to work on problems with logical solutions, as opposed to trying to navigate the perplexities of feminine temperament.

Regardless of sex or sexual orientation, it is pleasing to see your code working, for people with a need for achievement that may be an attraction of the field.

From your own observations would anyone agree that women tend to be more diligent in carring out their jobs without question more so than men who question authority and wish to do things their own way?

democrates wrote:
    From your own observations would anyone agree that women tend to be more diligent in carring out their jobs without question more so than men who question authority and wish to do things their own way?

No. I don't think that's the case at all.

By the way, for the ultimate in female programmers, see Verity Stob. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,904 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The operating system I use was coded by "36 guys and one lesbian" according to a blog entry one of the staff members at the company wrote shortly before they went under... however, the 'womans touch' is extremely noticable in the section she mainly worked on - the printing subsystem went from unusably poor before she started on it to being extremely good afterwards.

And having worked with a female programmer before - they're usually extremely good; if extremely rare. Pity really, but for some reason I think programming is seen as a stereotypically male occupation, when theres absolutely no reason it should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Dizzyblabla

I did programming in college, in my class there was 40 of us, 5 females, by 4th year only 1 of the females had dropped out, whereas close to 20 of the guys did, although I hated programming, I managed projects in college, but didn't want to persue it. I do know of a few who did get into it and are doing quite well though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭jmcc

rsynnott wrote:
    If you think that the ratios are bad in CS, you should look at electronic engineering. Though it is a biological fact of life that the male brain is wired for the kind of logical / visio-spatial / mathematical abilities required for engineering. With CS such delineations are not as well defined as good linguistic abilities are required and that favours the female brain. Scientific and mathematical fields have lost their social stigma. I think it may have something to do with the high number of people with arts degrees who end up drawing the dole while the geeks inherited the Earth during the dot.bomb days.

Then there are the people who think that writing HTML is programming. I really am not sure about them. :)

Regards...jmcc

jmcc wrote:
    If you think that the ratios are bad in CS, you should look at electronic engineering. Though it is a biological fact of life that the male brain is wired for the kind of logical / visio-spatial / mathematical abilities required for engineering

I've always been cautious of this claim. Do you have hard evidence?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

djmarkus wrote:
    The IT department in DIT kevin st/aungier st are all ladies, not totaly on topic but im a wealth of useless information!

I can guarantee thats not true! Its pretty much 50:50.

When i was in college there were definately more males than females but since i've started working I find it depends on the company. When i worked in the private sector there were definately more male programmers than women. The IS/IT departments as a whole were generally 50:50 but the majority of men were sys admins/programmers and the majority of women were in testing/Business Analysis. I'm in the public sector now and its pretty much 50:50 in all areas.

I think that less women prefer programming long term. I've been a programmer for about 5 or 6 years and over the past year i've started moving away from the programming towards analysis/design etc. Most of of female friends from college are the same. On the other hand, most of my male friends from college are still very much at the hands on technical level and have no intention of moving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

jmcc wrote:
    Though it is a biological fact of life that the male brain is wired for the kind of logical / visio-spatial / mathematical abilities required for engineering. With CS such delineations are not as well defined as good linguistic abilities are required and that favours the female brain.
    What, Engineers are from Mars, Linguists are from Venus? :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

On my course the numbers were roughly 60% male, 40% female. I noticed that the girls tended to be happier with the more academic bits, i.e. they liked to be able to read and learn material and regurgitate it in some form in exams. Guys tended to be happier with the bits where you had to problem solve or create something from scratch. I've seen this in the workplace too, the girls tend to be happier dealing with things they already no the answer to, or are pretty familiar with, but when they come across something new they tend to come looking for help. When guys come across something new they tend to start picking it apart and trying to figure it out themselves.

I personally think that it's the new stuff that makes programming fun, I love trying to do something I've never done before and making it work, or fixing some weird problem I've never seen before. In general I don't think girls really see the fun in that which is why they may not see programming as a good choice for them.

rsynnott wrote:
    This is the Steve Rule (in any given group of programmers there are more called Steve (or variations thereof) than females). It's often spookily accurate.
    This is scarily true, in one IT department I worked in there was 4 Steves, and 3 girls (out of 11 people !)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Talliesin wrote:
    What, Engineers are from Mars, Linguists are from Venus? :rolleyes:

He's reading too much slashdot - ignore him. My experience of programmers is that their gender is of secondary importance when they're coding. It's their attitude to their job is key.

oh btw admitting to being a female assembler programmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

stevenmu wrote:
    This is scarily true, in one IT department I worked in there was 4 Steves, and 3 girls (out of 11 people !)

Not where I work: my department out of six, no Steves and four women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭KlodaX

I really enjoy programming ... used to love getting stuck into a piece of code and debugging it for ages. I'm female. Saying that I'm stuck as a technician now and I'm the only female out of a team of 14.
    I noticed that the girls tended to be happier with the more academic bits, i.e. they liked to be able to read and learn material and regurgitate it in some form in exams. Guys tended to be happier with the bits where you had to problem solve or create something from scratch. I've seen this in the workplace too, the girls tend to be happier dealing with things they already no the answer to, or are pretty familiar with, but when they come across something new they tend to come looking for help. When guys come across something new they tend to start picking it apart and trying to figure it out themselves.

I think that is because females have the tendancy not to try/do something unless they know for certain that they can do it. Men tend to have more confidence in their abilities/knowledge when it comes to something technicial. I know so many lads that assume because they are male they can fix anything that has a screw or circuit board. Where as the female unless she has read the manual inside and back to front wont touch it.

*edit* Same applying to programming. I know that is a mayjor stero type on my behalf .... but everyone else appears to be doing so! You know what I mean though ... I don't mean to generalise!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

I reckon this thread is just a way for the OP to grab a coder chick for fun and profit :p

Anyway... Where I work, there is 127 people, 10 of which are female. It's kind of scary to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

whats the quote again?

"Your Trinity? I thought you were a guy?"
    Most guys do."

Advertisement