Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What to look out for in a secondhand Skoda Superb ?

Options
  • 13-08-2005 7:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

I am going to test drive a second hand skoda superb TDI DSG next week
    its a 2004 what should I look out for in terms of problems ?

Its only got 11k on the clock.

Thanks
    Whimsey

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,289 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Don't know of any problems. Maybe google would help? I know someone who has had one of these for about two years and they have not have had any problems. It's a VW under the badge.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Check out www.honestjohn.co.uk
    It's a great reference point for known faults/problems on cars.

Silvera.
    (Ex-Panel Beater).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

Just for info, I don't think the Superb ever sold with the DSG box. They used a 5 speed tiptronic autobox instead, which is quite a different thing.

A good place for buyers advice is www.briskoda.net
    Here's a guide to the Superb - not really a buyers guide though.

Which TDI is it, the 1.9 or the very rare 2.5?

One other point - the new Octavia is much closer in terms of interior cabin room to the Superb than the last Octavia. This should have a negative impact on Superb resale values, so you should be getting a bargain. What price is being asked?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Depreciation is hard on the Superb because of it's size. The Superb is about the same size as the Omega or Maxima so suffers from the same image problems. This works well when buying a used one as you get alot of car for the money. Taxi drivers love them too.

Also I have been both the new Octavia and the Superb and the rear leg room in the Superb is unbelievable, it is huge and so is the boot. The Superb is basically a stretched Passat and most if not all of the componants are from the previous Passat. The only thing that I found is that the dashboard is taken straight out of the old Passat too which means it is a late 90s design which looks a bit dated now but that's just my opinion. Buid quality is excellent too.

Is it the 100bhp or 130bhp TDi you are looking at? The 100bhp unit is a bit sluggish in the Superb due to it's weight so I would only look at the 130bhp version. The Tiptronic box is nice and well suited to the 130bhp version. Plenty of torque from that engine and economy is very good obviously from a diesel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭whimsey

Guys thanks for all the advice it is indeed the tiptronic and not
    the DSG and it is the 130Bhp after trade in on my 98 Micra its
    just short of 30k. It has full leather and a lot of extras like a
    sunroof and heated seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Sounds like a nice car. That is some jump, a Micra to a Superb. You could probably fit the Micra in the boot of the Superb. :D

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

They're a fantastic car, briefly worked for Skoda last year. I must say I went in not thinking much of their cars but went out very impressed. The built quality is excellent, the rear leg room, and all the little things you get! Anyway best of luck! Shouldn't give you much trouble, spent some time working on a few Superbs and all the mechanics told me they're fairly trouble free.

whimsey wrote:
    Guys thanks for all the advice it is indeed the tiptronic and not
    the DSG and it is the 130Bhp after trade in on my 98 Micra its
    just short of 30k. It has full leather and a lot of extras like a
    sunroof and heated seats.

You really should think about an Octavia. 30k buys you a brand new 2.0tdi with DSG in Elegance trim. That's a much more modern engine, more powerful, better gearbox (by miles), similar trim level and a much more modern car. It is also brand new.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

You really should think about an Octavia. 30k buys you a brand new 2.0tdi with DSG in Elegance trim. That's a much more modern engine, more powerful, better gearbox (by miles), similar trim level and a much more modern car. It is also brand new.

I'll second that. Unless you really need the rear legroom
    bazz26 wrote:
    You could probably fit the Micra in the boot of the Superb. :D

ROFL :D

Although even small cars are big now. I NCT'd mrs unkels '99 Fiesta and couldn't believe it weighs nearly 1100KG :eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement