Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3200 @ CAS2.0 vs 4400 @ CAS3.0

Options
  • 13-08-2005 8:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭

Looking over some OCZ gold ram ranging from 3200 - 4400.
    Which is actually better\faster? Obviously the 4400 is a little expensive atm compared to the 3200, and I expect either is better than my value 3200 stuff that tops at 210mhz...

I'm looking to get about 250 out, without a voltage increase if possible, its on a DFI Lanparty Ultra-D mobo with a Venice 3200.

Any advice appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,760 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Ideally you would be looking for some Ram with TCC5/TCCD Samsung chips for the best of both worlds. Ie they will do 2-2-2-6 @ DDR400 , and 2.5-3-3-8 @ DDR500 . They will most lightly do a good bit more than that speed at those timings .

Ie i have Mushkin L2 and it will do DDR440 @ 2-2-2-6 , DDR560 @ 2.5-3-3-8 with 2.9v. It has TCC5 chips.

Have a look at www.pc-memory-upgrade.co.uk . If your looking for 2x256mb then id definetly recomend the Mushkin L2 2-2-2 kit. (only €82)

For the 2x512mb kits, the following should be excellent.... (Have samsung chips TCCD/TCC5 chips)
    1Gb DDR PC3200 Patriot XBLK Extreme Bandwidth Dual Channel kit € 217.00
    1Gb DDR PC3200 OCZ Platinum Rev.2 Dual Channel kit - €220

On a more budget note www.komplett.ie have TwinMos Winbond BH5 Pc3200, this requires a little more voltage but is fantastic for tight timings and performs very well. And 1gb would only cost €130 !!

Whats your budget like? I reckon the TCCD/new TCC5 chips should give you a memory range of 200mhz-300mhz (depending on timings), while the BH5 would be 200mhz-260mhz (depending on voltage and timings, it doesent like looser timings). Both would be very good choices.....If your only looking for 2x256mb then the Mushkin L2 is crazy cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭jc94062

Definately looking for 1GB.
    Budget depends on a few things, just off on vacation and moving job so I'll be upgrading in around 4-6 weeks but thought I'd start looking early for once :)
    I'm probably looking at a max of €200 so probably best to go for a CAS2 3200 set from that, as long as ram doesn't have another manic price raise in the next few weeks.

I may be wrong knowing very little about ram but I assume the timing automatically change upwards as you increase the mhz rating or does this have to be done seperately? All I know is my value 3200 stuff at 3-3-8-3 (I believe) isn't that great and tops out at 210mhz with a under-load CPU temp of 34C so no heat problems there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Isn't it great when someone else asks the same question you were pondering? :rolleyes:
    Man, those TwinMos sticks look great value! Was looking at PC3200 OCZ Gold's too; would anyone tell me if saving €50 here would be good for future-proofing?
    And would the TwinMos sticks need RAM-sinks for cooling then?
    (sorry for hi-jacking, but it's on-topic!)

I'm probably looking at a max of €200 so probably best to go for a CAS2 3200 set from that, as long as ram doesn't have another manic price raise in the next few weeks.

If your budget is that much then i would definetly go for either .....

1Gb DDR PC3200 Patriot XBLK Extreme Bandwidth Dual Channel kit € 217.00
    1Gb DDR PC3200 OCZ Platinum Rev.2 Dual Channel kit - €220

They have some of the best chips available and will be very easy to adjust to your FSB (while keeping tight timings).
    Man, those TwinMos sticks look great value! Was looking at PC3200 OCZ Gold's too; would anyone tell me if saving €50 here would be good for future-proofing?

I can pretty much guarantee that the TwinMos BH5 will out perform the OCZ gold and also overclock FAR better, and they wont need heatsinks. They should do 200-230mhz @ 2-2-2 timings with 2.9v ish, which is perfectly fine for running 24/7 . I would bet the OCZ wouldnt get within an asses roar of that performance (since ive had OCZ Gold Pc3200 myself)..... Id definetly go with the BH5 chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Ocz gold vxpc4000. I have them and im currently running 250@2.2.2.7 24/7 use, but i can up them to 260 @1.5-2-2-6 if I want. Take advatage of your mobos 5 volt rail. Only go tccd if you plan to go something like 300@2.5-3-3-8.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Thanks, Col Loki! My budget is back on track :)

Col_Loki, this is the right stuff isn't it?

http://www.dangeo.com/proddetail.php?sku=50532

Even with tax thats $250 (€175 or so) and I'm hoping to be able to pick it up while on vacation there in just over a week as long as its the right stuff :) I was going to wait a while, but if I can save some, esp. as I have a bit floating around in CAD which really isn't worth changing with the current exchange rate I may as well use it well!

Thanks!

Col_Loki, this is the right stuff isn't it?

Yea thats the right stuff, make sure you get the Rev 2 and your fine !!

I've replied to their email to see if they can do that, just gotta hope they reply before I go on vacation lol

Advertisement