Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBB Complaints

• 13-08-2005 10:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭

Sorry,

Maybe this has already explained but I just cant find it.

How would I go about keeping a log of problems with the speed of IBB.

Do I have to keep ping lists,screen captures of speed test,etc.
    Are there other things I should be logging.
    Its 10.30,Saturday morning and download@271k/upload@138 but surfing is really bad and downloading is 18kb off Heanet.

Any Ideas would be a help.

Thanks
    Derek

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

arcane99 wrote:
    Sorry,

Maybe this has already explained but I just cant find it.

How would I go about keeping a log of problems with the speed of IBB.

Do I have to keep ping lists,screen captures of speed test,etc.
    Are there other things I should be logging.
    Its 10.30,Saturday morning and download@271k/upload@138 but surfing is really bad and downloading is 18kb off Heanet.

Any Ideas would be a help.

Thanks
    Derek

Derek there is many threads and there is a sticky at the top of the broadband main page!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

Best option... Turn it off & cancel your DD..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

if you have any other option but ibb get it. i'm in galway and its slow as fook,gettin 3mb ntl package next fri. can't fookin wait

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

I use Ping Plotter. It doesn't really measure your speed but will do ping tests at defined estimates. Have this running for a few days, then through the results back at IBB. Some of their support people have Ping Plotter to so it shouldn't be a hssle for them to view your results.

If they say that they don't have Ping Plotter, the program also dumpd images, so you can send them instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭arcane99

Thanks for the tip.
    Its a great tool. Just a question you might be able to answer.

What should I ping. Should I be pinging something within the IBB network.ie DNS server or something like google.

I am just after running it on their DNS with packet loss of 50 percent at ibis-access and 17 percent at ns.1.

• Advertisement

I just ping www.boards.ie as it's an irish server. But ping plotter will also give you a trace route along the way. So it will also give you ping times to your gateway and any other IBB or other points along the way.

Again, Thanks for your Help.

You seem to know a great deal about networks.
    What do you make of this pic.

Any idea where the problem is.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭colin300

Right this aint on the same line of complaint but it is a complaint.
    My friend has IBB and aint the most technical person in the world so he asked me to do something odd he rang me saying can you get on ebay and I said ye. He said well I can but cant place a bid. I found that odd so he said would I be able to place the bid so I did. I went over last night and looked at what was wrong within the IBB network it seems to block certain pages completely.

He tried to order something off Komplett while I was there when he put in his credit card and hit pay or whatever it is then it went to go to the next page but hung which is exactly what happens with the ebay site.

So I found it odd and did what i thought was the right thing to do which was check if it was IBB's routing and it was. I set up a proxy and everything went fine.

Is anyone else having this prob?

Yes Its the same for me on IBB and Ebay.

Spent a few hours messing with my ISA server, blocking it from the cache, etc. But I tried it through a proxy and now works. I had some real bad problems 2 weeks ago with google, same thing made it work. I thought it was a problem with the google toolbar or ISA.

Ahhhh, your picture bring me back to my [un] happy times on the Siac high site. I'm assuming that you're on the Siac high site as it's the first step in your route.

Anyway, What you're seeing there is bordering on a good day as far as I am concerned. It may get much worse.

However, Generally speaking my ping times to SIAC where nearly always in the 2ms to 4ms range, with the odd spike. Yours are in the hundreds. This might be a problem with your radio or line of site. Get them to look into it for you.

Then again, it might just be congestion on the SIAC site.

I've included my stats for Friday. I was only in to clean out the office and do some work while I was there. I got NO work done that day. Total waste, other than the fact that I got my server taken home.

And most of what I know about networks and IBB and other providers, I obtained through the friendly people on boards. I don't think I would have gotten through it without support, knowledge and other alternatives from the people here.

I do owe a debt of gratitude.

Can't say much more, as IBB had the cheek to billme again this month, even though I sent a formal letter of complaint and got ComReg involved AND that they said that my payments were frozen. I am now discussing my options with my solicitor.

Happy Clearwire customer though. Will get a second radio off them when my BT contract expires.

• Advertisement

colin300 wrote:
    Right this aint on the same line of complaint but it is a complaint.
    My friend has IBB and aint the most technical person in the world so he asked me to do something odd he rang me saying can you get on ebay and I said ye. He said well I can but cant place a bid. I found that odd so he said would I be able to place the bid so I did. I went over last night and looked at what was wrong within the IBB network it seems to block certain pages completely.

He tried to order something off Komplett while I was there when he put in his credit card and hit pay or whatever it is then it went to go to the next page but hung which is exactly what happens with the ebay site.

So I found it odd and did what i thought was the right thing to do which was check if it was IBB's routing and it was. I set up a proxy and everything went fine.

Is anyone else having this prob?

I would suggest starting another thread on this one, if you think it is warrented.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭colin300

i would but then it would just be a waste of a thread anyway what is the proxy use now arcane99?

Yes, its the siac highsite.

This all really started on Wednesday, also had the same problem a few weeks ago. My antenna is quite low. 20 foot. And no direct line of site.Trees blocking site.
    All downloads where coming in at 120kbps until Wednesday. Never went Higher and never really went lower. But my BT Connection was same kbps when I had their 1 mb.

Still waiting for their support to contact me from 3 weeks ago and from Thursday.
    I put in a request for a 2mb because I thought it was contention. But the boards have opened my eyes. Since cancelled it.

Again, Thanks for your help.

arcane99 wrote:
    Still waiting for their support to contact me from 3 weeks ago and from Thursday.

Keep waiting dude, sorry, but they generally do not reply back.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Couch Potato

anybody know what IBB server 63.231.52.157 is ?

This appears to be the last hop out to the net ...???

I am running Ping Plotter and all the packet loss is on this server - usually about 10% ...

Obviously some problem with this connection ..

I am running Ping Plotter and all the packet loss is on this server - usually about 10% ...

its a router in Tallaght ! :- ) the congestion is here ! for most people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭gsand

As regards the ebay problem, exact same thing here

Its only recently come in and it affects a number of other sites for me as well including some of the quick reply buttons on forums :(

Drapper wrote:
    its a router in Tallaght ! :- ) the congestion is here ! for most people

Thanks Drapper - I am on the Clonsilla mast - but is EVERYONE going through thi s router ????????????

Thanks Drapper - I am on the Clonsilla mast - but is EVERYONE going through thi s router ????????????

pm sent to you.

yes is the simple answer:- 1st hop is from you to Ballycoolin, second is radion link from Ballycoolin to Tallaght which means the third router.

so first router Bally and second Tallagh which are those two numbers. As the sevice is maxed the amount of data flyining over and back to Tallagh gets congested! and increases the latency. Its not really a bandwidth issue, I'm sure the fibre in Tallaght can deal with it but the transmisison from the two basestations is oversubscribed too! it can be fixed! they have done so in the past.

btw I'm an ex IBB customer!

sorry just reading the thread again:- your route would be your House - Clonsilla - Ballycoolin - Tallagh - Inex - www.boards.ie or whatever !

as far as hops are concerned thats normal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

This seems to be/one of their gateway routers to the Internet... On Sunday night, my service was working pretty much perfectly but last nigth the problems with packet loss re-surfaced again..

Was playing CS online on a server with a TIC rate of 100.. Was uploading and downloading info at about 12KB/sec in game and was loosing anything up to 40 packets a second. CS was sending and receiving about 200 packets per second..

Once again I ask, is there any application that will log ping tests in a similar way that PingPlotter does but can send more than 1 request per second. I want to simulate the amount of packets used while playing CS..

• Advertisement

Drapper wrote:
    pm sent to you.

yes is the simple answer:- 1st hop is from you to Ballycoolin, second is radion link from Ballycoolin to Tallaght which means the third router.

so first router Bally and second Tallagh which are those two numbers. As the sevice is maxed the amount of data flyining over and back to Tallagh gets congested! and increases the latency. Its not really a bandwidth issue, I'm sure the fibre in Tallaght can deal with it but the transmisison from the two basestations is oversubscribed too! it can be fixed! they have done so in the past.

btw I'm an ex IBB customer!

sorry just reading the thread again:- your route would be your House - Clonsilla - Ballycoolin - Tallagh - Inex - www.boards.ie or whatever !

as far as hops are concerned thats normal!

Hi Drapper - no don't go through Ballycoolin at all !

I will get back to you on the PM - at work at the mo ...

Advertisement